Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
B&M University with only 20 SH (16%) Resident Credits required - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: B&M University with only 20 SH (16%) Resident Credits required (/Thread-B-M-University-with-only-20-SH-16-Resident-Credits-required)

B&M University with only 20 SH (16%) Resident Credits required - Life Long Learning - 09-09-2019

Since 1973, the B.A. in General Studies at Eastern Illinois University (EIU) 

• Affordable: In-state tuition, textbook rental and opportunities for scholarships • Flexible and Transfer Friendly: Students may develop an individualized degree program to meet their professional and personal goals. We will accept up to 100 semester hours, including 78 from community colleges, from regionally accredited universities.  • Career-Focused: Our graduates are employed in numerous professions including business, non-profits, law enforcement, education, and health care.  • Student Focused: Small classes, quality instruction and personal advising • Credit for Life Experience: Students have the opportunity to be evaluated for the learning they have engaged in outside the traditional classroom, including on the job and in the military.
https://www.eiu.edu/bgs/

RE: B&M University with only 20 SH (16%) Resident Credits required - cookderosa - 09-09-2019

now that's a great find! I'm not always a fan of general studies, but I know a LOT of people this could serve. Great find!

To dig a little deeper, I like a few things and don't like something else...

To graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in General Studies degree, a student must complete 120 semester hours (s.h.) of credit which include:

UNIVERSITY WIDE REQUIREMENTS:
40 s.h. at the junior/senior level
20 s.h. earned from Eastern Illinois University (on-campus, off-campus or distance learning courses)
3 s.h. of senior seminar
CORE COURSES:
BGS 2985 - Adults in Transition (required first semester)
BGS 3002 - Critical Thinking and the Adult Learner
BGS 4001 - Self-Directed Leadership
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:*
12 s.h. scientific awareness/mathematics
12 s.h. social/behavioral sciences
12 s.h. humanities/fine arts
6 s.h. communications/English
* Students who have earned an A.A. or A.S. degree from a regionally accredited institution have met general education requirements.

I LOVE that an AA or AS fills the gen eds as a block transfer- that's a big win. I don't love that you need 40 upper level credits, those might be really hard to get, which when true, makes almost impossible to actually do a 100 credit transfer. I said almost, but I think it would take some careful research to work a degree plan there.

RE: B&M University with only 20 SH (16%) Resident Credits required - Stoic - 09-10-2019

(09-09-2019, 08:40 PM)cookderosa Wrote: now that's a great find!  I'm not always a fan of general studies, but I know a LOT of people this could serve. Great find!

To dig a little deeper, I like a few things and don't like something else...

To graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in General Studies degree, a student must complete 120 semester hours (s.h.) of credit which include:

UNIVERSITY WIDE REQUIREMENTS:
40 s.h. at the junior/senior level
20 s.h. earned from Eastern Illinois University (on-campus, off-campus or distance learning courses)
 3 s.h. of senior seminar
CORE COURSES:
BGS 2985 - Adults in Transition (required first semester)
BGS 3002 - Critical Thinking and the Adult Learner
BGS 4001 - Self-Directed Leadership
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:*
12 s.h. scientific awareness/mathematics
12 s.h. social/behavioral sciences
12 s.h. humanities/fine arts
 6 s.h. communications/English
* Students who have earned an A.A. or A.S. degree from a regionally accredited institution have met general education requirements.

I LOVE that an AA or AS fills the gen eds as a block transfer- that's a big win.  I don't love that you need 40 upper level credits, those might be really hard to get, which when true, makes almost impossible to actually do a 100 credit transfer.    I said almost, but I think it would take some careful research to work a degree plan there.
What are your thoughts on General Studies and BLS degrees? What are their cons for an adult learner who just wants to check the box?