Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Columbia Southern University - LifePace Learning - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Columbia Southern University - LifePace Learning (/Thread-Columbia-Southern-University-LifePace-Learning)

Columbia Southern University - LifePace Learning - sanantone - 09-16-2019

I like how all these self-paced/competency-based programs mash two words together. LOL. 

LifePace is not a competency-based option. It barely counts as a self-paced option. It's available for every degree program except for the DBA. It allows you to take one course at a time and complete it within 4 to 18 weeks. However, if you take longer than 10 weeks, you'll pay an additional fee. There is no flat rate mentioned on the website, so I guess students pay the regular per credit hour rate. 

LifePace courses do not qualify for financial aid. Columbia Southern University is nationally accredited by DEAC, and I don't think it has any programmatic accreditations. 

https://www.columbiasouthern.edu/admissions/online-learning-options/life-pace

RE: Columbia Southern University - LifePace Learning - dfrecore - 09-16-2019

I would say that it's self-paced in that you can take from 4-18 weeks to complete a course. All of the other self-paced courses I've seen are the same - there's a minimum amount of time (I think BYU requires 3 weeks) and then a maximum, with possible extensions available if you need them.

I actually like the self-paced option. I don't like it from an NA school though...

RE: Columbia Southern University - LifePace Learning - sanantone - 09-16-2019

I'm used to seeing a minimum amount of time, but I thought 10 weeks was kind of short. I think I've come across one school that has 8 to 16-week self-paced courses, but they are offered within traditional semesters. This is why their courses qualify for financial aid. The combination of LifePace charging per credit hour, not qualifying for financial aid, and charging extra after 10 weeks is just off-putting to me.

BYU gives students one year to complete a course, and I've seen many other schools give 6 months or an entire semester.

RE: Columbia Southern University - LifePace Learning - dfrecore - 09-16-2019

(09-16-2019, 03:03 PM)sanantone Wrote: I'm used to seeing a minimum amount of time, but I thought 10 weeks was kind of short. I think I've come across one school that has 8 to 16-week self-paced courses, but they are offered within traditional semesters. This is why their courses qualify for financial aid. The combination of LifePace charging per credit hour, not qualifying for financial aid, and charging extra after 10 weeks is just off-putting to me.

BYU gives students one year to complete a course, and I've seen many other schools give 6 months or an entire semester.

10 weeks is short, and it's hard to figure out the fees for going over.  Finally found it:
15 days $25
30 days $50
60 day $100
YIKES!

You also have to pay proctoring fees yourself (either ProctorNow or test center fees).

At $230/cr, the cost isn't terrible, especially if it was an RA school.  Instead, you're better off doing ACE/NCCRS...

RE: Columbia Southern University - LifePace Learning - sanantone - 09-16-2019

(09-16-2019, 04:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-16-2019, 03:03 PM)sanantone Wrote: I'm used to seeing a minimum amount of time, but I thought 10 weeks was kind of short. I think I've come across one school that has 8 to 16-week self-paced courses, but they are offered within traditional semesters. This is why their courses qualify for financial aid. The combination of LifePace charging per credit hour, not qualifying for financial aid, and charging extra after 10 weeks is just off-putting to me.

10 weeks is short, and it's hard to figure out the fees for going over.  Finally found it:
15 days $25
30 days $50
60 day $100
YIKES!

You also have to pay proctoring fees yourself (either ProctorNow or test center fees).

At $230/cr, the cost isn't terrible, especially if it was an RA school.  Instead, you're better off doing ACE/NCCRS...

Columbia Southern University bought the regionally accredited Waldorf College (now Waldorf University), so students can transfer credits there. They also have articulation agreements with some RA colleges, but I agree. You'd be better off doing ACE or NCCRS. More schools would probably accept those credits. LOL.