Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. (/Thread-WGU-I-finished-orientation-and-5-6-MBA-pre-assessments-in-24-hours-without-studying)

WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. - TryHardDieHard - 09-24-2019

[Image: 582qcmrgvlo31.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s...f798352721]
[Image: SMCaTrh.jpg]

I can't wait for that October 1st start date.

RE: WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. - GoodYellowDogs - 09-25-2019

What is your background?

RE: WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. - cookderosa - 09-25-2019

dang. Reminds me of the Lawrie Miller days.

RE: WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. - NolaRice - 09-26-2019

So, I'm curious, if you pass all the PAs, can you just take the OAs right away and get your MBA within a few weeks, or are there a lot of projects? I wouldn't mind picking up an MBA quickly since I have lots of real life business experience.

RE: WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. - Merlin - 09-26-2019

(09-26-2019, 12:43 PM)NolaRice Wrote: So, I'm curious, if you pass all the PAs, can you just take the OAs right away and get your MBA within a few weeks, or are there a lot of projects? I wouldn't mind picking up an MBA quickly since I have lots of real life business experience.

Technically you can take the Objective Assessment exam right after passing the Pre-Assessment, but keep in mind that passing a Pre-A doesn't guarantee a pass on the OA, so unless you pass with a significant margin, you probably won't actually be ready for the OA. Also, only half of the courses have OA's, the rest have Performance Assessments (projects, presentations, and/or papers) which will usually require research and time to complete.

That said, if you come into the MBA with significant prior experience you can move through the courses pretty fast. I have 30 years of experience in business and IT, and I was able to finish the core 10 courses in about 3.5 months. However, once you start on the Capstone, things slow way down. The first part of the capstone is a group business simulation followed by two analysis tasks (including a presentation). The second part of the capstone is a very involved business consultation project, which can take quite some time as well, depending on the subject.

Despite finishing most of the courses pretty fast, I have been stuck on the capstone for a while now. My group took nearly 8 weeks to finish the simulation and the first two tasks and I still have yet to do the business consultation project (2 tasks) and the final video presentation since I haven't been able to find a company to work with yet for that. (You can't use any company that you or a family member manage or are a partner or shareholder in, FYI.)

RE: WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. - Jdesign - 09-27-2019

(09-26-2019, 07:00 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 12:43 PM)NolaRice Wrote: So, I'm curious, if you pass all the PAs, can you just take the OAs right away and get your MBA within a few weeks, or are there a lot of projects? I wouldn't mind picking up an MBA quickly since I have lots of real life business experience.

Technically you can take the Objective Assessment exam right after passing the Pre-Assessment, but keep in mind that passing a Pre-A doesn't guarantee a pass on the OA, so unless you pass with a significant margin, you probably won't actually be ready for the OA. Also, only half of the courses have OA's, the rest have Performance Assessments (projects, presentations, and/or papers) which will usually require research and time to complete.

That said, if you come into the MBA with significant prior experience you can move through the courses pretty fast. I have 30 years of experience in business and IT, and I was able to finish the core 10 courses in about 3.5 months. However, once you start on the Capstone, things slow way down. The first part of the capstone is a group business simulation followed by two analysis tasks (including a presentation). The second part of the capstone is a very involved business consultation project, which can take quite some time as well, depending on the subject.

Despite finishing most of the courses pretty fast, I have been stuck on the capstone for a while now. My group took nearly 8 weeks to finish the simulation and the first two tasks and I still have yet to do the business consultation project (2 tasks) and the final video presentation since I haven't been able to find a company to work with yet for that. (You can't use any company that you or a family member manage or are a partner or shareholder in, FYI.)

They make you take the courses in order. The first class you gotta write 2 papers (plan on re-write at least once). Make weekly appts with mentor to make sure she/he unlocks next course for you.

RE: WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. - Merlin - 09-27-2019

(09-27-2019, 10:37 PM)Jdesign Wrote:
(09-26-2019, 07:00 PM)Merlin Wrote:

They make you take the courses in order. The first class you gotta write 2 papers (plan on re-write at least once). Make weekly appts with mentor to make sure she/he unlocks next course for you.

Well, they highly encourage you to take the courses in order. You can deviate if you have a good reason and your program mentor agrees but you need to be very convincing. I completely changed the order of most of the courses in my MBA program to build on synergies in courses I already knew and where I felt it would help me accelerate. As it happens, I ended up with all the PA's upfront and the OA's afterward. I never had a paper returned myself, but its good to plan for it. That said, if you are good at following the rubric you should be fine on the PA's.

RE: WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. - Jdesign - 09-27-2019

(09-24-2019, 06:35 PM)TryHardDieHard Wrote: I can't wait for that October 1st start date.

[Image: view?usp=sharing]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DIsV8OEWT1bOKQk1Wl9PXtjRCUr95iYM/view?usp=sharing

Hey, good luck TryHardDieHard! 
I'm 1 month ahead of you. I also started by taking 5 pre-tests before term start.  They make you take the courses in order now, so tell your mentor your aiming for a 6 months finish max. The woman I have said only 6 out of her 98 students are attempting to finish the MBA in 6 months.  I then asked if I could do it because I work 50 hours a week and she said that ONLY the super busy ones finish in 6 months. Make sure to schedule weekly calls with your mentor to help stay MOTIVATED, and also so they unlock the next course. So far so good for me, i'm doing accounting this weekend already! - add edit: The first paper I had to re-do & re-submit a couple times. I'm a very slow writer but really good test taker.

RE: WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. - Merlin - 09-27-2019

(09-27-2019, 11:12 PM)Jdesign Wrote: I'm 1 month ahead of you. I also started by taking 5 pre-tests before term start.  They make you take the courses in order now, so tell your mentor your aiming for a 6 months finish max. The woman I have said only 6 out of her 98 students are attempting to finish the MBA in 6 months.  I then asked if I could do it because I work 50 hours a week and she said that ONLY the super busy ones finish in 6 months. Make sure to schedule weekly calls with your mentor to help stay MOTIVATED, and also so they unlock the next course. So far so good for me, i'm doing accounting this weekend already!

They have always made you take the courses in order, but again, your mentor can approve deviations if you can convince them to do so. It is all about building a good relationship with the program mentor. If they trust you, they'll let you do whatever it takes to succeed.

Also keep in mind that for the MBA, if you want to finish in 6 months, you have to be completely done with all your core courses (everything except the Capstone), before the end of the 4th month. You need to have at least 8 weeks left in your term or they won't allow you to enroll in the Capstone course. Once enrolled, you then have to wait for the next cohort to begin, which only happens every 2-3 weeks or so. So be sure to plan accordingly.

In my case, I completed 10 courses in 3.5 months and then had to wait 3 weeks to start my capstone. Once that started my group took nearly two months to finish the simulation part of the course and the two group tasks due to scheduling issues and such. So now I have to rush to finish the last 3 tasks to finish the degree.

RE: WGU: I finished orientation and 5/6 MBA pre-assessments in 24 hours without studying. - amilitab4k9 - 09-29-2019

(09-27-2019, 11:12 PM)Jdesign Wrote:
(09-24-2019, 06:35 PM)TryHardDieHard Wrote: I can't wait for that October 1st start date.

[Image: view?usp=sharing]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DIsV8OEWT1bOKQk1Wl9PXtjRCUr95iYM/view?usp=sharing

Hey, good luck TryHardDieHard! 
I'm 1 month ahead of you. I also started by taking 5 pre-tests before term start.  They make you take the courses in order now, so tell your mentor your aiming for a 6 months finish max. The woman I have said only 6 out of her 98 students are attempting to finish the MBA in 6 months.  I then asked if I could do it because I work 50 hours a week and she said that ONLY the super busy ones finish in 6 months. Make sure to schedule weekly calls with your mentor to help stay MOTIVATED, and also so they unlock the next course. So far so good for me, i'm doing accounting this weekend already! - add edit: The first paper I had to re-do & re-submit a couple times. I'm a very slow writer but really good test taker.

I did the same thing a year ago. I had an October 1 start date and was able to get all of my courses done in a month. I got lucky for the capstone, because if you sign up in November or early December, your team will likely be motivated to get it all done before Christmas. In all, it took 1 month for the capstone and 1 month for the rest. The mentors are usually skeptical if you say you're trying to do it really fast. I had all of the papers for the first class by the time I spoke to my mentor for the first time, so he took me seriously. For the papers, write to the rubric, don't worry about creating a nice piece of literature.