Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone (/Thread-TESU-no-longer-accepts-courses-based-on-ACE-NCCRS-recommendation-alone)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone - shadowgem - 10-08-2019

Yes, I recall. They were a relatively new provider at the time and it was exciting to see a source of credit that made completing a BA in English at TESU finally possible. But it was short lived.

It just seems like the proctoring issue can't be all there is to it. I mean to this date there are still courses that do not require proctoring. Even some courses at TESU do not require proctoring for that matter lol

TESU won't even recognize courses taken at SDC if they are on an ACE transcript. They MUST be sent by the course provider directly to TESU. So needing to see something on an ACE transcript in one fashion or another in order for it to be deemed "official" also seems unusual. I don't know, maybe there is more to it than that. But then I think of NCCRS courses.

For example, many schools accept direct transcripts from course providers for any NCCRS evaluated courses. All NCCRS courses are evaluated by NCCRS for credit recommendation, but the only way a student can verify completion of the course is via a direct transcript from the provider sent to the school. Unlike ACE, NCCRS does not verify or transcript courses for students. Instead, the transcript is sent directly from the course provider to the school. 

And ACE itself relies on the course providers to "verify" courses submitted to them before adding them to an ACE transcript as far as I am aware. So my curiosity remains. Why would direct verification from Shmoop that a student took a course via a proctored exam, not be considered official? That's the part I don't understand I guess. It just seems odd. Especially given the fact that when Shmoop did require proctoring, TESU still rejected accepting their credits. Are we even sure proctoring is the issue, or could it be the course quality TESU took issue with?

RE: TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone - armstrongsubero - 10-08-2019

I dont think not proctoring or quality is the issue, it could be the sheer quantity of unproctored courses shmoop provides that is the issue.

RE: TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone - cookderosa - 10-09-2019

(10-08-2019, 01:37 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: It would be pretty damn hard to finish 30 shmoop courses, as anyone who's taken a Shmoop course knows their material is challenging...I think one every 2 days is possible...so about 15-17 max..and with the 'special' material Shmoop provides for learning it would make even that amount harder.

Shmoop is the most difficult course provider I have used to date...its a shame schools dont accept them..study.com felt like childs play conpared to shmoop...

You assume he was 1 person working the problem. It's easy enough to cheat, criminals are exceptionally clever, but you don't have to be that clever to figure out how pay someone to do your course for you- ESPECIALLY unproctored courses. Hire 2-3 people to help you knock them out and bam- done. It's only money, and plenty of people have plenty of it. I am highly suspicious that any one person could actually do 30 courses legitimately in 30 days, and clearly TESU found it suspicious too.

RE: TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone - armstrongsubero - 10-09-2019

@cookderosa that was my point, it would be impossible for one person to do that much, so he had to have outside help.

RE: TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone - jsd - 10-09-2019

Remember that person who posts here every few months who is obsessed with StraighterLine because she was caught soliciting people on Fiverr.com to do her SL courses for her at $5 or so a pop?

RE: TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone - ROYISAGIRL - 10-09-2019

(10-09-2019, 02:37 PM)jsd Wrote: Remember that person who posts here every few months who is obsessed with StraighterLine because she was caught soliciting people on Fiverr.com to do her SL courses for her at $5 or so a pop?
really that was a thing

RE: TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone - BrighterFuture88 - 10-09-2019

(10-09-2019, 02:37 PM)jsd Wrote: Remember that person who posts here every few months who is obsessed with StraighterLine because she was caught soliciting people on Fiverr.com to do her SL courses for her at $5 or so a pop?

Wait, what?

RE: TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone - armstrongsubero - 10-09-2019

Haha I remember hearing about that...

RE: TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone - jsd - 10-09-2019

I said months, but in reality it was maybe one or two times separated by literal years. the lady was completely obsessed, and posted all of her "evidence" of how StraighterLine was working against her to steal her money, but the evidence all worked against her and in actuality was super incriminated to her.

She also ran multiple "StraighterLine Sucks" type blogs where she insulted the owner because his son or daughter was in a mixed raced relationship (complete with boatloads of racial and homophobic slurs). She was clearly unwell, and everything she was doing ensured she never garnered any sympathy for her bogus claims.

RE: TESU no longer accepts courses based on ACE/NCCRS recommendation alone - Nixi - 10-09-2019

I remember her, but I didn't know she specifically outsourced her work on Fiverr! 

Whenever anyone mentions the Shmoop incident, I always think of her. What if it was her on Shmoop?  Wink