Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) (/Thread-Looking-for-fastest-cheapest-degree-Have-115-traditional-credits)

Pages: 1 2

Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) - Nicole_9 - 10-03-2019

Hi Everyone,

I was referred here and decided to make a detailed post after reading threads for a week. I'm in my early/mid 30's, Im a wife and mother. I attended a traditional school(NSU) after high school but have not attended in around a decade. My last semester in college there was an issue with my financial aid and they invoiced me for the full amount of the tuition. I couldn't pay it, so I just ignored the situation, as alot was going on. When I was ready to attend school again I discovered I needed to pay the full amount and they wouldn't release my transcripts until I paid the money. 

Things happened... Marriage, kid, misc jobs, etc. Just life in general. But I want to be an example for my daughter. The balance has since been paid last week and I have access to my transcripts. At the moment Im choosing not to attend the school I originally attended due to cost, time and location. The degree requirements has changed and it would take longer than Id like to get my original degree. 

At this point I'd settle for any degree, just so I can get started on graduate school. I was hoping that with all the experience and wisdom here someone could offer some advice to me on obtaining the fastest and cheapest degree. I have around 115 credits but have taken more than 120+++ credit hours, so I'm not sure if im eligible for financial aid. I have around 6 figures in student loans due to interest, consolidations and never paying on the principle. So I'll probably have to pay out of pocket to finish my degree. Im indifferent to which of the big 3 I attend or the degree obtained. Have my eyes on a graduate degree already.  Heart

Any advice is appreciated in advance.
Thank You!

Credits from NSU:

BIOL 1080 U1 Human Biology D 3
COMP 1000 U1 Basic Writing B 3
MATH 1000 U1 Essential Mathematics D 3
PSYC 1020 U1 Intro To Psychology C 3
SCIE 1000 U1 General Science Program Sem P 1
BIOL 1100 U1 Concepts in Biology B+ 3
COMP 1500 U1 College Writing B 3
PSYC 2350 U1 Life-Span Human Development B+ 3
PSYC 3760 U1 Multicultural Psychology B- 3
HUMN 2200 U1 Intro to Medical Humanities B 3
MATH 1000 U1 Essential Mathematics B 3
PSYC 2330 U1 Interpersonal Communication B 3
TECH 1110 U1 Technology In Information Age B+ 3
COMP 2020 U1 Writing About Literature C+ 3
PSYC 2380 U1 Child & Adolescent Development B 3
PSYC 3180 U1 Stereotypes and Prejudice C+ 3
PSYC 3210 U1 Personality B 3
ATTR 2300 U1 Sports Nutrition C- 3
COMP 2000 U1 Advanced College Writing B+ 3
PSYC 2360 U1 Adolescent Psychology B+ 3
SPCH 1010 U1 Public Communication D 3
LITR 2020 U1 American Literature I D 3
LITR 2021 U1 American Literature II C 3
MATH 1030 U1 Intermediate Algebra C 3
PSYC 3710 U1 History & Theories of Psych D+ 3
LITR 2010 U1 British Literature I D 3
LITR 2011 U1 British Literature II B- 3
LITR 3060 U1 History & Structure of English D 3
LITR 3210 U1 British Romantic Literature C- 3
LITR 4050 U1 Literary Criticism and Theory B- 3
LITR 2030 U1 World Literature I B- 3
LITR 4720 U1 Shakespeare C+ 3
PSYC 3160 U1 Social Psychology C+ 3
PHIL 3180 U1 Biomedical Ethics C+ 3
PSYC 2370 U1 Early Child.Growth/Dev.V B 3
PSYC 3300 U1 Behavior Modification C 3
LITR 2031 U1 World Literature II B 3
LITR 3260 U1 Modernist World Literature C 3
LITR 3510 U1 Irish Literature B- 3
LITR 3620 U1 Studies in Poetry D+ 3
PSYC 2110 U1 Human Sexuality D 3.                               

RE: Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) - lacussucceed - 10-03-2019

Hi Nicole, Thumbs up for you on the decision to be that role model and complete your degree. I think a BALS gives most room for the old credits but maybe there are others with better suggestions. After that, get the old credits evaluated at the universities of your choice (COSC would be cheapest I think, TESU is also popular). Right now you could do the free ethics course - maybe Biomedical Ethics already have you covered (so it would duplicate).
Which graduate degree are you looking at and what are the requirements?

RE: Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) - dfrecore - 10-03-2019

FASTEST - TESU

So, you are completely done with a TESU BALS degree, except for a CIVIC ENGAGEMENT course, the cornerstone, and the capstone.
Steps for TESU:
1) Apply and send NSU transcripts
2) Sign up for Study.com and take the American Govt course (gets you tuition discount)
3) Register for the Cornerstone as soon as you finish and send the above course
4) Register for the Capstone as soon as you can
5) Pay the Residency Waiver and Grad Fees and graduate ASAP
TOTAL COST ~ $5600

CHEAPEST - COSC

So, you are close to being done with a COSC BALS w/concentration in LIT/PSYCH degree, except for a US HIST/GOVT course, MATH course, SCIENCE w/LAB course, the cornerstone, and the capstone.
Steps for COSC:
2) Sign up for Study.com and take
 - American Govt, US Hist I or II, Vietnam War, etc.
 - College Algebra or Statistics
3) Sign up and take Ed4Credit's Bio I Lab course*
4) Send everything to ACE, send ACE transcript to COSC
5) Register for the Cornerstone as soon as you finish and send the above courses (Study.com discount after those are sent over)
6) Register for the Capstone as soon as you can
7) Pay the Grad Fees and graduate ASAP
TOTAL COST ~ $3200
* This assumes that you haven't taken a lab science, I couldn't tell what the 1cr course was you listed, if that's the science lab, then you can reduce the cost by $165, and remove step 3.

RE: Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) - wow - 10-03-2019

(10-03-2019, 12:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: FASTEST - TESU

So, you are completely done with a TESU BALS degree, except for a CIVIC ENGAGEMENT course, the cornerstone, and the capstone.
Steps for TESU:
2) Sign up for Study.com and take the American Govt course (gets you tuition discount)
3) Register for the Cornerstone as soon as you finish and send the above course
4) Register for the Capstone as soon as you can
5) Pay the Residency Waiver and Grad Fees and graduate ASAP
TOTAL COST ~ $5600

CHEAPEST - COSC

So, you are close to being done with a COSC BALS w/concentration in LIT/PSYCH degree, except for a US HIST/GOVT course, MATH course, SCIENCE w/LAB course, the cornerstone, and the capstone.
Steps for COSC:
2) Sign up for Study.com and take
 - American Govt, US Hist I or II, Vietnam War, etc.
 - College Algebra or Statistics
3) Sign up and take Ed4Credit's Bio I Lab course*
4) Send everything to ACE, send ACE transcript to COSC
5) Register for the Cornerstone as soon as you finish and send the above courses (Study.com discount after those are sent over)
6) Register for the Capstone as soon as you can
7) Pay the Grad Fees and graduate ASAP
TOTAL COST ~ $3200
* This assumes that you haven't taken a lab science, I couldn't tell what the 1cr course was you listed, if that's the science lab, then you can reduce the cost by $165, and remove step 3.

I know this isn't the topic of the thread, but doesn't COSC only offer a discount for Straighterline? The only one on their website is for students who have completed 4 courses on Straighterline—I've searched and searched for a Study.com discount but found nothing.

As for TESU, they now require 2 completed courses from Study.com before they will apply the tuition discount. It's unclear how much the residency waiver is for study.com students—people here say its an $800 discount, but TESU lists the total as $2800, which is the same as for everyone else.

RE: Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) - lacussucceed - 10-03-2019

I think there are no discounts at COSC. There is no reduction on the residency waiver at TESU, only a discount on the tuition.

What a great reply from dfrecore!
Besides the cost/speed difference, are there other things to consider?

RE: Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) - dfrecore - 10-04-2019

I've seen something from Study.com about a discount at COSC, I will see if I can find it. It's a 10% discount.

I've not heard that TESU requires 2 study.com courses to get the tuition discount, but I'll check on that as well. It is no longer for the residency waiver, just tuition unfortunately.

RE: Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) - jsh1138 - 10-04-2019

if you want to send your transcripts over to TESU or COSC to get them evaluated, they can plug them in and you can actually browse through their system to see what you're closest to.

RE: Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) - Nicole_9 - 10-04-2019

(10-03-2019, 12:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote: EDITED

Your time assistance is appreciated! You gave us alot to consider. Thank you! I shall keep everyone updated. The line item with pricing was super helpful!

(10-03-2019, 03:57 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: Besides the cost/speed difference, are there other things to consider?

Picking a specific degree would of course be great but honestly so much time has passed Id settle for the cheapest degree a this point. Although, taking less classes at TESU for a little more money is appealing and tempting.

(10-04-2019, 07:44 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: if you want to send your transcripts over to TESU or COSC to get them evaluated, they can plug them in and you can actually browse through their system to see what you're closest to.

We'll look into that today. By any chance do you happen to know the current cost for what you suggested, if there is one.

RE: Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) - davewill - 10-04-2019

(10-04-2019, 08:48 AM)Nicole_9 Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 07:44 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: if you want to send your transcripts over to TESU or COSC to get them evaluated, they can plug them in and you can actually browse through their system to see what you're closest to.

We'll look into that today. By any chance do you happen to know the current cost for what you suggested, if there is one.

It's $50 at TESU, well worth it IMHO. You only get two evaluations before enrolling, so it's important to get all the transcripts in quickly enough for them to be done as one evaluation. You might even want to get all the transcripts on their way first, THEN apply. If you only have the one transcript, then don't worry about it. One nice thing at TESU is that once your credits are evaluated, you can play "what if" in the student portal with different degree programs and get an idea how your credits fit in them.

RE: Looking for fastest/cheapest degree. (Have 115 traditional credits) - cookderosa - 10-06-2019

(10-03-2019, 03:57 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: I think there are no discounts at COSC. There is no reduction on the residency waiver at TESU, only a discount on the tuition.

What a great reply from dfrecore!
Besides the cost/speed difference, are there other things to consider?

Sure there are. If you use Straighterline for 3 classes, you get 10% off everything you pay- that includes every fee and tuition. (COSC)