Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 (/Thread-Saylor-8-New-courses-switch-to-ACE-as-of-6-1-19)

Pages: 1 2

Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 - dfrecore - 10-09-2019

I was looking at Saylor, and found that they added 8 new courses, and have made the switch to ACE almost entirely - they only have 3 courses now that are NCCRS only.

Some courses also now include/require quizzes and/or written papers/case studies.  Not sure how those factor into the grade.  Also not sure if they're improving the quality of their courses, or their exams, so if anyone wants to be a guinea pig, now's your chance!

New courses
BUS402: Project Management (UL) - Case Study & Final Exam
BUS300: Operations Management (UL) - Case Study & Final Exam
ENGL001: English Composition I - Essays, Quizzes & Final exam
ENGL210: Technical Writing - Essays & Final exam
ARTH101: Art Appreciation - Final exam only
PHIL102: Critical Thinking - Quizzes & Final exam
GEOG101: World Regional Geography - Quizzes & Final exam
CS107: C++ Programming - Final exam only

For those who are at WGU and have to take Critical Thinking, here you go!

RE: Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 - natshar - 10-09-2019

(10-09-2019, 07:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I was looking at Saylor, and found that they added 8 new courses, and have made the switch to ACE almost entirely - they only have 3 courses now that are NCCRS only.

Some courses also now include/require quizzes and/or written papers/case studies.  Not sure how those factor into the grade.  Also not sure if they're improving the quality of their courses, or their exams, so if anyone wants to be a guinea pig, now's your chance!

New courses

I noticed these too the other day. The credit direct website is out of date I hope they add all the new courses. Also which three courses are nccrs only?

And also new is psychology is worth 3 credits now

RE: Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 - cecilgambe7 - 10-09-2019

Just great!!

RE: Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 - dfrecore - 10-09-2019

(10-09-2019, 08:26 PM)natshar Wrote:
(10-09-2019, 07:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I was looking at Saylor, and found that they added 8 new courses, and have made the switch to ACE almost entirely - they only have 3 courses now that are NCCRS only.

New courses

I noticed these too the other day. The credit direct website is out of date I hope they add all the new courses. Also which three courses are nccrs only?

And also new is psychology is worth 3 credits now

Some of the courses don't show up with direct credit on the syllabus, so that needs to change as well.

Saylor NCCRS-only (I guess it's only 2):
MA001: College Algebra
CS101: Introduction to Computer Science I

RE: Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 - shadowgem - 10-10-2019

I mentioned these new courses and the upgraded psychology course in another thread the other day. Atm not all of the courses are showing up on the direct credit page, but most have been added to the course catalog. However there are a few of the newly evaluated courses that I could not find in the catalog, so they may not all be live yet. Most of the ones that have been added and allow enrollment do have the direct credit final option added as well, but not all. I'm not sure why, but hopefully things get updated with them soon.

In addition to the new English I and Tech Writing courses, they also have new non-credit bearing courses for ESOL Beginner and Intermediate which looks like it could be a great free additional study resource for anyone that needs to study for the TOEFL/IELTS exams.

As to course quality, one nice feature (at least I don't recall seeing these in the past) is a comprehensive study guide for most of their courses. So it does appear that they are working on improving current courses as well as adding new ones which is great to see.

Also just in case anyone is hoping to take any of the following courses, it looks like the current ACE evaluation will be expiring soon, but hopefully they will be renewed. 

Current ACE evaluation expires on 11/30/2019
  • Introduction to CS II
  • Management Information Systems
  • Strategic Information Technology
  • Computer Communications and Networks
  • Software Engineering
  • Principles of Human Communication
  • Introduction to Political Science
  • Moral and Political Philosophy
  • Managerial Accounting
Current ACE evaluation expires on 12/31/2019
  • Principles of Macroeconomics
  • Principles of Microeconomics
  • Environmental Ethics, Justice, and World Views

RE: Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 - SweetsugarNL - 10-11-2019

Do you think that ENGL001 will fulfill the English 1 requirement?

RE: Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 - shadowgem - 10-11-2019

(10-11-2019, 04:44 PM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: Do you think that ENGL001 will fulfill the English 1 requirement?

It is recommended for credit by ACE from 6/1/2019 - 5/30/2022 

Quote:Credit Recommendation:
In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in English composition I (6/19).
so it probably can if your school accepts it.

However, you may need to contact Saylor and ask exactly how to complete the course for credit. Unlike other courses at Saylor, this one has quizzes and written assignments. I just don't see a Direct Credit Exam at the end of the course, but ACE does indicate a final exam is part of the assessment for credit.

RE: Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 - SweetsugarNL - 10-11-2019

I have check direct credit but also dont find the ace option so i think i dont look good. Maybe i ask COSC of they accept it.

RE: Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 - shadowgem - 10-11-2019

(10-11-2019, 05:10 PM)SweetsugarNL Wrote: I have check direct credit but also dont find the ace option so i think i dont look good. Maybe i ask COSC of they accept it.

I would also ask on Saylor. They could at least let you know how or when it will become available for credit.

RE: Saylor - 8 New courses, switch to ACE as of 6/1/19 - LevelUP - 10-12-2019

The PHIL102: Critical Thinking I took the 1st quiz cold and got a 65% with pure guessing on some answers.

That course rated is at 40hrs study, only 3 quizzes so maybe this one is reasonable to take.

Geared towards Computer IT/Science majors.