Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! (/Thread-Promotion-at-work-thanks-DegreeForum)

Pages: 1 2

Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! - jsd - 11-07-2019

I've been in my current role at my employer for under two years --- I think a year and 8 months? --- and today I just accepted a new offer with my company for a role that came with an approximate 30% increase (and large bonus potential on top of it; double my previous potential). This is obviously a huge bump! Way more than my last promotion, and in much shorter time than any other major promotion/job offer I've accepted.

I briefly met my manager-to-be once before in person (months ago), but the circumstances were not that I had an opportunity to impress her much. It was very much in passing. But before I even interviewed with her or spoke to her formally, she reached out to me and made it very clear that she was interested in me. So I can only think that it was my resume itself that made such an impression on her, and my guess is that my education was the kicker. Any past managers she would have reached out to certainly would have given me a glowing review, but I have no indication that she checked references before offering me an interview.

I am constantly amazed at how this forum, and everyone here who has helped me along the way, continues to have a lasting positive impact on my (and my family's!!) livelihood. 

I found this forum after I had basically given up on higher ed, and through it I've found an incredible passion in continuous learning and became involved in academia way more than I could have ever imagined -- now I'm constantly seeing the returns.

Thanks, friends.

RE: Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! - Imbanewbie - 11-07-2019

Hey JSD, Congrats

I am total agree with you (I found this forum after I had basically given up on higher ed, and through it I've found an incredible passion in continuous learning and became involved in academia way more than I could have ever imagined -- now I'm constantly seeing the returns.)

I also thanks for this forum. I have been 5 to 7 years that I did not pick up a book or thinking to get master degree. This forum helps me to motivate me and I am studying for master. I am more motivate than ever.

RE: Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! - Ideas - 11-07-2019

Congrats! And I'm sure you can get that bonus Smile

RE: Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! - BrighterFuture88 - 11-07-2019

Congrats, JSD! I’m hoping to have the same success as you after I graduate, but it’s always important to keep learning so that we can progress and succeed. I wish you the best with this promotion!

RE: Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! - MrBossmanJr - 11-07-2019

Nice, you deserve it. Thanks for all the help you have provided me and the rest of this community.

RE: Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! - MSK9 - 11-08-2019

Grats, jsd!

RE: Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! - ChilliDawg - 11-08-2019

Awesome! Congrats, you deserve it.

RE: Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! - cookderosa - 11-09-2019

(11-07-2019, 12:31 AM)jsd Wrote: I've been in my current role at my employer for under two years --- I think a year and 8 months? --- and today I just accepted a new offer with my company for a role that came with an approximate 30% increase (and large bonus potential on top of it; double my previous potential). This is obviously a huge bump! Way more than my last promotion, and in much shorter time than any other major promotion/job offer I've accepted.

I briefly met my manager-to-be once before in person (months ago), but the circumstances were not that I had an opportunity to impress her much. It was very much in passing. But before I even interviewed with her or spoke to her formally, she reached out to me and made it very clear that she was interested in me. So I can only think that it was my resume itself that made such an impression on her, and my guess is that my education was the kicker. Any past managers she would have reached out to certainly would have given me a glowing review, but I have no indication that she checked references before offering me an interview.

I am constantly amazed at how this forum, and everyone here who has helped me along the way, continues to have a lasting positive impact on my (and my family's!!) livelihood. 

I found this forum after I had basically given up on higher ed, and through it I've found an incredible passion in continuous learning and became involved in academia way more than I could have ever imagined -- now I'm constantly seeing the returns.

Thanks, friends.

I'm so proud of you Wink congratulations!!

RE: Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! - Supermind - 11-14-2019

Congratulations!! Very happy for you.

RE: Promotion at work, thanks DegreeForum! - bjcheung77 - 11-14-2019

Congrats and keep the updates coming for the program...