Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Supply Chain Management - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Supply Chain Management (/Thread-Supply-Chain-Management)

Supply Chain Management - AniLord000 - 11-07-2019

Got myself in a predicament so now I'm wondering which course of action to take. My goal is a Supply chain management(SCM) degree which is a business degree.
So should I get a an online associates degree then transfer to a school with a good online SCM Business completion program,
or get my degree in Business Management and just transfer to a school for a SCM concentration?

The first is a longer path and a Business Administration degree while the other is quicker and a Business Management degree? They are essentially the same thing but one is the BBA which I hear is for concentrating on a certain business aspect, while the BM is for broad work?

Will they have the same look/affect in the end?

Btw the schools I'm talking about are Murray State Uni for the SCM completion program with a BBA but I haven't decided where to get the AA yet. The BM is at WGU but i haven't decided where to do the concentration at? 

Any advise is appreciated, Thanks

RE: Supply Chain Management - dfrecore - 11-08-2019

If you want a degree in Supply Chain, then you should get that. Not sure why you would get the AA at all, and I'm not sure why you think Business Management or Business Administration are different - it depends on the school, as different schools call their business degrees different things. WGU calls theirs the BS in Business Management, TESU and COSC call theirs a BS in Business Administration, EC calls theirs the BS in Business - but they all mean the same thing, they have a similar core and they are similar degrees (WGU's is only different because they do a 30% GE/70% Major while the others do something more along a 50/50 split). I'm also not sure why you think a Business Management degree would be faster than a Business Administration degree? WGU might be faster than one of the Big 3, but that's not because of the degree name, but by virtue of the school setup.

I also don't know what a SCM business completion program is vs. a SCM concentration? Is it just a certificate? Could you not just take those courses, then transfer to EC and get a BSB with a concentration in Logistics Management? And why aren't you going to just get your degree at Murray State?

So many questions...

RE: Supply Chain Management - AniLord000 - 11-08-2019

(11-08-2019, 02:28 AM)dfrecore Wrote: If you want a degree in Supply Chain, then you should get that.  Not sure why you would get the AA at all, and I'm not sure why you think Business Management or Business Administration are different - it depends on the school, as different schools call their business degrees different things.  WGU calls theirs the BS in Business Management, TESU and COSC call theirs a BS in Business Administration, EC calls theirs the BS in Business - but they all mean the same thing, they have a similar core and they are similar degrees (WGU's is only different because they do a 30% GE/70% Major while the others do something more along a 50/50 split).  I'm also not sure why you think a Business Management degree would be faster than a Business Administration degree?  WGU might be faster than one of the Big 3, but that's not because of the degree name, but by virtue of the school setup.

I also don't know what a SCM business completion program is vs. a SCM concentration?  Is it just a certificate? Could you not just take those courses, then transfer to EC and get a BSB with a concentration in Logistics Management?  And why aren't you going to just get your degree at Murray State?

So many questions...

haha my bad, Ok so the completion degree is only for if you have the prereqs/an aa so you then apply for their online program. The concentration are usually separate course loads which you apply for cause you already have your bs. I only said faster because of WGU setup. Though I kinda found my answer at EC they have a BS with the Logistics concentration and a BS with Logistics/MBA dual track, which I might do. Sorry for the Confusion.

That's ok, there just wasn't enough info on there to make any suggestions.

Don't do the EC MBA, at $20k it's WAY too expensive.

If you just want an MBA, check out WGU.

APU has a 3 MA's you might like: Supply Chain Management, Transportation & Logistics Management, and Reverse Logistics Management. At 13k, it's a more reasonable price than EC, and will let you focus on what you want.

(11-08-2019, 03:06 AM)dfrecore Wrote: That's ok, there just wasn't enough info on there to make any suggestions.

Don't do the EC MBA, at $20k it's WAY too expensive.

If you just want an MBA, check out WGU.

APU has a 3 MA's you might like: Supply Chain Management, Transportation & Logistics Management, and Reverse Logistics Management.  At 13k, it's a more reasonable price than EC, and will let you focus on what you want.

Well since I still need to complete an BS the only reason why I even considered the EC MBA was cause it was a combined Bs to MBA program so I instead of having to apply for the MS I'll just continue extra year or so and get the MBA, but Oh wow thats the first Ive ever seen a school have more than one SCM degree type.

The EC BS degree would probably be way less expensive than anything else you can get, so may be worth it. Then you'll have money to spend on the MA degree.

(11-08-2019, 01:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The EC BS degree would probably be way less expensive than anything else you can get, so may be worth it.  Then you'll have money to spend on the MA degree.

Awesome. Thanks for the info! Smile

RE: Supply Chain Management - cookderosa - 11-09-2019

Supply chain and or logistics degrees are everywhere- I feel like you're limiting your options too narrowly.

A couple years back I had 2 sons that were both considering this pathway so I did a bit of digging and planning. While things may have changed, we were using the community college to complete the gen eds and 100/200 level supply chain / logistics requirements. We were going to use an online college for the bachelor's (Franklin University b/c they accept 90 credits toward 120 and are a Straighterline partner school) followed by the online MIT Supply Chain program (online edx courses for the certificate and then transfer). We were cash flowing everything except the MIT on campus program which my kids would have to have funded on their own. It is the top school in the country for supply chain, so that comes with a premium price including 1 semester on campus- but that was our plan.

RE: Supply Chain Management - AniLord000 - 11-09-2019

(11-09-2019, 11:05 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Supply chain and or logistics degrees are everywhere- I feel like you're limiting your options too narrowly.  

the online MIT Supply Chain program (online edx courses for the certificate and then transfer).  We were cash flowing everything except the MIT on campus program which my kids would have to have funded on their own.  It is the top school in the country for supply chain, so that comes with a premium price including 1 semester on campus- but that was our plan.

Yea I started to noticed my narrowed results after the earlier poster. I definitely didn't know that MIT had a SCM X program.

RE: Supply Chain Management - Life Long Learning - 11-09-2019

(11-09-2019, 11:05 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Supply chain and or logistics degrees are everywhere- I feel like you're limiting your options too narrowly.  

A couple years back I had 2 sons that were both considering this pathway so I did a bit of digging and planning.  While things may have changed, we were using the community college to complete the gen eds and 100/200 level supply chain / logistics requirements.  We were going to use an online college for the bachelor's (Franklin University b/c they accept 90 credits toward 120 and are a Straighterline partner school) followed by the online MIT Supply Chain program (online edx courses for the certificate and then transfer).  We were cash flowing everything except the MIT on campus program which my kids would have to have funded on their own.  It is the top school in the country for supply chain, so that comes with a premium price including 1 semester on campus- but that was our plan.

2020 top undergrad MIT is not top 10
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business-supply-chain-management-logistics

(11-09-2019, 04:59 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:

A couple years back I had 2 sons that were both considering this pathway so I did a bit of digging and planning.  While things may have changed, we were using the community college to complete the gen eds and 100/200 level supply chain / logistics requirements.  We were going to use an online college for the bachelor's (Franklin University b/c they accept 90 credits toward 120 and are a Straighterline partner school) followed by the online MIT Supply Chain program (online edx courses for the certificate and then transfer).  We were cash flowing everything except the MIT on campus program which my kids would have to have funded on their own.  It is the top school in the country for supply chain, so that comes with a premium price including 1 semester on campus- but that was our plan.

2020 top undergrad MIT is not top 10
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/business-supply-chain-management-logistics

2020 Graduate MIT is 3rd
https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/mba-rankings