Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
A university drops out of state tuition - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: A university drops out of state tuition (/Thread-A-university-drops-out-of-state-tuition)

A university drops out of state tuition - Imbanewbie - 11-14-2019

I hope all the school do the same thing by dropping the out of state tuition. Link https://www.wjtv.com/news/local-news/jsu-drops-11000-out-of-state-fees-to-500-to-increase-student-enrollment/

RE: One of the university drop out state tuition - PrettyFlyforaChiGuy - 11-14-2019

(11-14-2019, 06:01 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: I hope all the school do the same thing by dropping the out of state tuition. Link https://www.wjtv.com/news/local-news/jsu-drops-11000-out-of-state-fees-to-500-to-increase-student-enrollment/

Relevant point: Good to see fees reduce; my home state of Mississippi could use all the interchange it can get.

Irrelevant point: JSU is where I first evacuated north with other Tulane students on my first day on campus, back when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. We missed a shootout on JSU's campus by a few days, ate peanut butter sandwiches, then took showers in the torrential rain. Good times.

RE: One of the university drop out state tuition - MSK9 - 11-14-2019

I've got mixed feelings on this, especially as a Mississippi resident and native. The fact that JSU has a lot of improving to do aside, where is this cost reduction going to be made up? The money has to come from somewhere..

RE: One of the university drop out state tuition - Yanji - 11-14-2019

(11-14-2019, 08:07 AM)MSK9 Wrote: I've got mixed feelings on this, especially as a Mississippi resident and native. The fact that JSU has a lot of improving to do aside, where is this cost reduction going to be made up? The money has to come from somewhere..

Their enrollment has been plummeting, and B&M schools have a lot of fixed costs. It's better to put bums in seats at half price instead of not filling them at all. Otherwise, they'd need to cut staff/faculty, student services, sell property (not worth much), raise fees, or other things detrimental to students. It's one reason a lot of small schools invest heavily in online programs, because they both cost less to deliver and there's few geographical barriers. Even some big and highly-respected institutions, like Mizzou, have had to invest in online programs because of plummeting enrollment, which threatens their AAU and other affiliations.

Having said that, I worked in Jackson for most of 2018, (obviously, I don't know nearly as much as you Mississippi natives) and I seriously doubt there are more than a few hundred out-of-state students studying at JSU. I can't see any reason for a student from a neighboring state, let alone the rest of the country, to come to Jackson to study at JSU. Perhaps there may be an uptick in international students. Anyway, this decision says more about their difficult situation than anything.

RE: One of the university drop out state tuition - Pelican - 11-14-2019

Is the $500 the cost of tuition for a semester, or just the fees in addition to the cost of tuition?

RE: One of the university drop out state tuition - Yanji - 11-14-2019

(11-14-2019, 10:01 PM)Pelican Wrote: Is the $500 the cost of tuition for a semester, or just the fees in addition to the cost of tuition?

It's the difference between in-state and out-of-state.

RE: One of the university drop out state tuition - dfrecore - 11-15-2019

As a taxpayer who helps fund our colleges (CA not MS), I definitely do NOT want state schools to do this. The reason out-of-state tuition exists is because that's closer to the true cost of getting the degree; in-state tuition is the cost MINUS taxes paid by state taxpayers. So in-state is really just the reduced rate because you're already paying for some of the costs, and out-of-state is the true cost for anyone not paying into the system.

If you look at private schools which don't have in-state and out-of-state rates, that's because the school is not taxpayer-funded, so it costs the same for everyone (rack rate, not talking about scholarships and other discounts).

RE: One of the university drop out state tuition - Yanji - 11-16-2019

(11-15-2019, 11:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: As a taxpayer who helps fund our colleges (CA not MS), I definitely do NOT want state schools to do this.  The reason out-of-state tuition exists is because that's closer to the true cost of getting the degree; in-state tuition is the cost MINUS taxes paid by state taxpayers.  So in-state is really just the reduced rate because you're already paying for some of the costs, and out-of-state is the true cost for anyone not paying into the system.

If you look at private schools which don't have in-state and out-of-state rates, that's because the school is not taxpayer-funded, so it costs the same for everyone (rack rate, not talking about scholarships and other discounts).

That's not relevant, though. Colleges are like airlines - their costs are basically fixed, and there isn't much they can do to cut without entering a death spiral. (Do many colleges in the US have a lot of fat that could be trimmed? Absolutely, but is another thing.) In this kind of business, it's all about revenue management. Even if enrollment goes down, the college still has to pay for the same faculty salaries, utilities, administration costs, etc. In light of plummeting enrollment, they have to spread those costs over a smaller student base. In response, they could a) raise tuition and fees across the board, which schools with declining enrollment and applications are not in a position to do, b) make little to no dramatic changes, deepening the financial crisis and causing major headaches for the state government and taxpayers, or c) they can try to at least fill some of those empty seats with students paying "discounted" tuition. Online students may actually strengthen their financial and institutional health in the long run if the increased demand is strong enough. Whether it works remains to be seen, but reducing out-of-state fees is a perfectly legitimate tool in the toolbox to combat declining enrollment, especially in conjunction with expanding distance offerings.

RE: A university drops out of state tuition - MSK9 - 11-16-2019

I wish them luck. Anyone who's been to Jackson or around JSU could probably understand why no one's beating down the door to enroll there.