Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Raycathode's Degree Path in Excel - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: COSC - Charter Oak State College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-COSC-Charter-Oak-State-College-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Raycathode's Degree Path in Excel (/Thread-Raycathode-s-Degree-Path-in-Excel)

Raycathode's Degree Path in Excel - lillingworth - 11-20-2019

After reading this thread https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-COSC-No-CLEP-All-Online-BSBA-Degree-Transcript  I was super impressed with raycathode's work and accomplishments (seriously, congrats!!) and thought maybe someone else would like to use a similar setup. 

I've been on this site for years and years and always come with questions. This time I'd like to give something back, even if it's just a simple file. I don't *think* this exists but if it does I'm happy to remove this thread. 

Anyway, here's the degree plan in spreadsheet format. Feel free to make adjustments and re-share or if you see Sheet 2, there's a place to add in CLEP/DSST/whatever else and then redistribute to the masses. This is basically my first time using Excel so I hope it's okay. 

As a side note, I've noticed a lot of plans on the wiki are dead/outdated and even things like the COSC master list is just a dead link. I'd love to see the wiki updated with more accurate information. Is there any way I can contribute to that? Even if it's just picking out dead links or finding old information and removing it. I don't know much about how wiki works or about putting plans together from scratch but I'd like to do something to contribute.

[attachment=2989]

RE: Raycathode's Degree Path in Excel - dfrecore - 11-20-2019

So as you're about to learn, the reason things are outdated on here is because things get outdated quickly!

COSC no longer takes Shmoop (I don't think), the FEMA course you listed is no longer ACE-recommended for credit, and the TEEX courses are worth a different amount of credit now (10cr total instead of 6cr).

I would highly recommend that someone take the Bio w/Lab at Study.com instead of SL, as it's cheaper. Lots of complaints about SL's English courses, you're probably better off elsewhere (Study.com, Sophia, Saylor, etc.).

So, while this might be helpful for some people, it's outdated before you even post it. Sorry.

RE: Raycathode's Degree Path in Excel - tjguitar85 - 11-20-2019

Heres' a non-dead Charter oak master exam link:

https://www.charteroak.edu/pdf/charter-oak-state-college-2017-2018-exams-tests-credit-values.pdf

RE: Raycathode's Degree Path in Excel - lillingworth - 11-20-2019

(11-20-2019, 02:23 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So as you're about to learn, the reason things are outdated on here is because things get outdated quickly!

COSC no longer takes Shmoop (I don't think), the FEMA course you listed is no longer ACE-recommended for credit, and the TEEX courses are worth a different amount of credit now (10cr total instead of 6cr).

I would highly recommend that someone take the Bio w/Lab at Study.com instead of SL, as it's cheaper.  Lots of complaints about SL's English courses, you're probably better off elsewhere (Study.com, Sophia, Saylor, etc.).

So, while this might be helpful for some people, it's outdated before you even post it. Sorry.

Oh no!

I really struggle with grasping which classes fit which requirements for a lot of these degrees but hopefully I'll get better at it and be able to contribute some generic spreadsheets that people can use. Maybe a google doc or something that can be continuously updated... 

Do you know how often they update? Is it once a year, once a term or just as ACE statuses expire?

RE: Raycathode's Degree Path in Excel - dfrecore - 11-20-2019

(11-20-2019, 09:45 AM)lillingworth Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 02:23 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So as you're about to learn, the reason things are outdated on here is because things get outdated quickly!

I would highly recommend that someone take the Bio w/Lab at Study.com instead of SL, as it's cheaper.  Lots of complaints about SL's English courses, you're probably better off elsewhere (Study.com, Sophia, Saylor, etc.).

Oh no!

I really struggle with grasping which classes fit which requirements for a lot of these degrees but hopefully I'll get better at it and be able to contribute some generic spreadsheets that people can use. Maybe a google doc or something that can be continuously updated... 

Do you know how often they update? Is it once a year, once a term or just as ACE statuses expire?

There is no set time of update; ACE recommendations expire, schools change what they will accept, they change what they'll bring things in as, etc.

Then, the course providers change things; they come out with new courses, or new course providers pop up.  A course provider gets blacklisted (Shmoop).

There is just no set degree plan you can make that will work for everyone going forward.

Also, if you put set courses in for the portions where you don't have to have a specific course, it's a bit misleading, as people might think you have to take those courses, which is rarely the case.

RE: Raycathode's Degree Path in Excel - MrsBulletPoints - 11-22-2019

(11-20-2019, 12:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I would highly recommend that someone take the Bio w/Lab at Study.com instead of SL, as it's cheaper.  Lots of complaints about SL's English courses, you're probably better off elsewhere (Study.com, Sophia, Saylor, etc.).

Oh no!

There is no set time of update; ACE recommendations expire, schools change what they will accept, they change what they'll bring things in as, etc.

Then, the course providers change things; they come out with new courses, or new course providers pop up.  A course provider gets blacklisted (Shmoop).

There is just no set degree plan you can make that will work for everyone going forward.

Also, if you put set courses in for the portions where you don't have to have a specific course, it's a bit misleading, as people might think you have to take those courses, which is rarely the case.

I just wanted to say, "Thank you!" for doing this anyway. I'm sure it took you a lot of effort even if parts are already outdated or perhaps need work.  I applaud your desire to give back.

RE: Raycathode's Degree Path in Excel - lillingworth - 11-23-2019

(11-22-2019, 09:45 PM)MrsBulletPoints Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 12:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I would highly recommend that someone take the Bio w/Lab at Study.com instead of SL, as it's cheaper.  Lots of complaints about SL's English courses, you're probably better off elsewhere (Study.com, Sophia, Saylor, etc.).

Oh no!

I just wanted to say, "Thank you!" for doing this anyway. I'm sure it took you a lot of effort even if parts are already outdated or perhaps need work.  I applaud your desire to give back.

Thanks! I'll keep lurking around a bit to see if there's something more useful I can do haha