Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
In Danger of Missing March Graduation. - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: In Danger of Missing March Graduation. (/Thread-In-Danger-of-Missing-March-Graduation)

Pages: 1 2 3

In Danger of Missing March Graduation. - Zachcleigh - 12-03-2019

Hello Everyone,
I've been studying at TESU since I got out of high school in 2016.  I initially only planned to do a BSBA in Accounting, but when I found out I was deploying with the US Army right around the time that SDC released a number of computer science courses I made the decision to pursue a 2nd degree in Computer Science. 
     I am on track to finish the accounting degree with no issues (only waiting on one grade to finalize). However, an audit resulted in me being 1 credit short in my CS AOS.  Application for March graduation is due no later than JAN 1 and I'm kind of panicking that I won't make it in time.  My UL classes in the AOS are as follows:

SDC Management Information Systems
SDC Systems Analysis and Design
SDC Database Management
TEEX Computer Security (2Cr.)

In email correspondence with TESU I have been told that new TEEX courses are no longer applied to the CS degree.  I have a 2Cr. Upper Level ACE course for CISSP 2018 that I did with the US Army.  This apparently will also not work. My point of contact recommended the CMP 354 TECEP, but seeing how December term has already started, this is also not really an option.  I've also looked into SDC's more recent UL CS courses like Artificial Intelligence.  However, I was told that TESU is not taking any of these at the moment.  
     For any future readers looking at the same issue, DSST Cybersecurity is an option.  I am unable to take this exam though because we do not have a proctoring center on the camp.  
     I'd really appreciate if any of you have advice on what I should do and any courses that may work.  
     A side note... The reason it is so important that I graduate on time is I am National Guard and do not have a job to go back to after this deployment.  I've been offered a job position, but it is tentative on my completion of the CS Degree.

Thank you in advance for the replies.

RE: In Danger of Missing March Graduation. - allvia - 12-03-2019

If that is the only thing you're missing apply for the graduation.  If for some reason you can't find/complete the final assessment (which TESU would do late Jan likely) then you would just roll to the next graduation date (meaning you have nothing to lose in applying now for March 2020). I think you'll be able to get it done in time!

The only other UL for this I know of for this is the CIS-313 Network Technology (TECEP)

I'll add that if you call TESU to register for that TECEP exam for current December term it is likely they would waive the late fee (but you'd need to call them and ask)

RE: In Danger of Missing March Graduation. - natshar - 12-03-2019

I believe you can still register for the TECEP, you would just have to pay a late fee. Do it ASAP. And if time is more important than money than the late fee is worth it.

If you are unable to register for the tecep call and see if they can make an exception.

RE: In Danger of Missing March Graduation. - shadowgem - 12-03-2019

I agree with allivia. Apply for graduation for March regardless. You have three possible options where you could still graduate on time. 

1) Have you completed SDC's Computer Architecture course? Two other options that should transfer in as UL for the CS degree are Deep Learning (Statistics.com, 8 weeks on a schedule) or Linear Algebra (Coopersmith, study for one final exam). 

2) As suggested, try calling to get the late fee waived for the TECEP as this would probably be the cheapest and fastest option.

3) TESU usually renews their course evaluations for SDC right around January/June each year. Although there is no guarantee, it is possible that some of the newer SDC CS courses will be evaluated and transferable early in the new year.

RE: In Danger of Missing March Graduation. - Zachcleigh - 12-03-2019

Someone is looking into my ability to register for the TECEP late for December Term, but it isn't looking good so far.

The next start date for Deep Learning with STA is 6 NOV 2020 unfortunately.

I'm pretty good with Math though. Are we positive that TESU accepts cooper-smith credits and that Linear Algebra comes in as an UL? The ACE recommendation says lower or upper (first time I've ever seen that). I'd normally be all on board, but with TESU's recent mix up with which credits they accept, I'm a bit more cautious/paranoid. I'll also email my POC at the school right now to see if this course is approved.

Thank you all for the help.

RE: In Danger of Missing March Graduation. - lacussucceed - 12-03-2019

Would the job position be open to you w/ the 99% done degree? Or with a all requirements met, waiting for next graduation date status?
Do you know the specific courses that would fit?

RE: In Danger of Missing March Graduation. - allvia - 12-03-2019

(12-03-2019, 04:57 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: Would the job position be open to you w/ the 99% done degree? Or with a all requirements met, waiting for next graduation date status?
Do you know the specific courses that would fit?

I agree with lacussucceed, if you're that close and can prove it with an unofficial transcript maybe that is all you need?  Plus most graduations fall in May/June for traditional schools anyway so it should not be a "shock" if you tell this potential employer that graduation isn't until June.

RE: In Danger of Missing March Graduation. - Zachcleigh - 12-03-2019

Unfortunately, I won't retain the job offer without the degree. I applied knowing that a degree was required, but that the start date was after i returned from deployment/graduated. A June graduation will not happen in time for the job, so I really need to figure this one out.

Another question I'm concerned about is the residency waiver fee in association with this issue.

If I apply for graduation for both degree, I'd only pay the waiver fee one time. If the Accounting degree went through, but the CS didn't wouldn't I have to pay the waiver again for June?

RE: In Danger of Missing March Graduation. - davewill - 12-03-2019

If you can't get into the Dec TECEP, you might try getting into the Jan TECEP and asking to be allowed to apply for graduation on that basis. It used to be you could just apply and worry about scraping up credits practically up to graduation day, but supposedly they've tightened up on it a bit. It would still be worth trying, though.

RE: In Danger of Missing March Graduation. - lacussucceed - 12-03-2019

(12-03-2019, 06:17 PM)cookderosa Wrote: File for graduation - the CREDIT doesn't have to be done by the deadline, just the paperwork.

I assumed TESU suddenly changed there policy on that too.