Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU Biology II w / lab - Straighterline Accepted? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU Biology II w / lab - Straighterline Accepted? (/Thread-TESU-Biology-II-w-lab-Straighterline-Accepted)

TESU Biology II w / lab - Straighterline Accepted? - Kalpa - 12-04-2019

Hello, does anyone know if Straighterline Anatomy & Physiology II - BIO202 fulfills the TESU Biology ASNSM Biology II requirement?

Also can anyone confirm if Straighterline's Microbiology Lab - BIO250L or Introduction to Biology Lab - BIO101L fulfills TESU's lab requirement in addition to the Straighterline A&P lab?

I've been corresponding with an advisor but the responses haven't been complete. They recent response was that I had to take Biology II from TESU but I don't see a Biology II in their undergraduate catalog.

RE: TESU Biology II w / lab - Straighterline Accepted? - dfrecore - 12-05-2019

If you mean that you're getting the ASNSM in Biology, then no, TESU won't accept other courses (Microbiology or A&P) as Bio II. But you also don't have to take the course at TESU.

Your best bet is to use a community college to take it. If your state doesn't have it inexpensively, then you can use a school at a less expensive state, like AZ or NM. NMJC has Bio II w/lab available online for the spring semester, as either an 8-week or 16-week course for 4cr. Tuition is only $69/cr for out-of-state.

RE: TESU Biology II w / lab - Straighterline Accepted? - Kalpa - 12-06-2019

Thank you for the responses and suggestion of NMJC online course.

RE: TESU Biology II w / lab - Straighterline Accepted? - Kalpa - 12-06-2019

I wanted to add to the thread in case someone else is looking for the same information the CLEP Biology exam actually fulfills both General Biology I & II for TESU with 6 credits but still leaves you needing a lab.

I'm currently looking to see if you can take the lab only anywhere online but the advisor is not aware of it.

Still seems very strange that TESU offers a Biology Associates & Bachelors but doesn't offer the requisite course

RE: TESU Biology II w / lab - Straighterline Accepted? - davewill - 12-06-2019

(12-06-2019, 03:51 PM)Kalpa Wrote: ...
Still seems very strange that TESU offers a Biology Associates & Bachelors but doesn't offer the requisite course

A lot of their degree program are like that. They specialize in degree completion and expect students to bring a lot of transfer credit, so they have programs that rely on it.

RE: TESU Biology II w / lab - Straighterline Accepted? - dfrecore - 12-06-2019

(12-06-2019, 03:51 PM)Kalpa Wrote: I wanted to add to the thread in case someone else is looking for the same information the CLEP Biology exam actually fulfills both General Biology I & II for TESU with 6 credits but still leaves you needing a lab.

I'm currently looking to see if you can take the lab only anywhere online but the advisor is not aware of it.

It still leaves you needing TWO labs!

COSC doesn't offer every course for all of the degrees they offer either.

RE: TESU Biology II w / lab - Straighterline Accepted? - bjcheung77 - 12-07-2019

Just an FYI, If you can take the CLEP, I would advise going for the AP Biology instead as it will count as 8 credits - Bio I and Lab, Bio II and Lab (3 credits course + 1 credit lab) for TESU. If you can't take the AP Biology, then I recommend doing a Biology I Lab at StraighterLine and finding a Biology II Lab elsewhere.

RE: TESU Biology II w / lab - Straighterline Accepted? - dfrecore - 12-08-2019

(12-07-2019, 08:39 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 06:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Just an FYI, If you can take the CLEP, I would advise going for the AP Biology instead as it will count as 8 credits - Bio I and Lab, Bio II and Lab (3 credits course + 1 credit lab) for TESU.  If you can't take the AP Biology, then I recommend doing a Biology I Lab at StraighterLine and finding a Biology II Lab elsewhere.

Unfortunately, finding a school this late in the school year makes AP pretty slim chance at this point.

The deadline to register has passed - but I think there may be late registration available for a hefty fee.  You'd also have to find a place where you'll be allowed to take the test, which is VERY difficult to do.  I think you're probably out of luck for AP Bio.