Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters (/Thread-Fewer-Students-Are-Going-To-College-Here-s-Why-That-Matters)

Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters - allvia - 12-19-2019

Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters -

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/16/787909495/fewer-students-are-going-to-college-heres-why-that-matters

RE: Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters - dfrecore - 12-20-2019

Interesting. But I don't think they'll be luring people back to college until their graduation rates are up, and their costs are down. Many people know that going deeply in debt for a college degree is a bad idea, and you're not going to convince them otherwise - they see the writing on the wall.

RE: Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters - jamshid666 - 12-22-2019

When a school like this closes, how does a student obtain their official transcripts when they want to move on to another degree?

RE: Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters - jsd - 12-22-2019

Another school (under the same accreditor) takes over record keeping/Transcripts

RE: Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters - dfrecore - 12-23-2019

(12-22-2019, 10:22 PM)jsd Wrote: Another school (under the same accreditor) takes over record keeping/Transcripts

I'm going to guess that it's gotten easier over time, and now you can just dump the database into an online transcript service and get them out that way (which they were probably doing already).  It's pretty effortless now to provide transcripts to people.

RE: Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters - jsd - 12-23-2019

Yeah a lot of places are offloading their transcript services to third parties like Parchment already. I think even the National Clearing House offers transcript services for schools now.

RE: Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters - dfrecore - 12-23-2019

(12-23-2019, 12:56 PM)jsd Wrote: Yeah a lot of places are offloading their transcript services to third parties like Parchment already. I think even the National Clearing House offers transcript services for schools now.

When my husband applied to WGU last year, he had 3 CC transcripts, and all 3 schools were from some sort of transcript service.  When I applied to WVNCC (for the BOG AAS), I had to send 4 transcripts and all were from a transcript service.  I think between both of us and 7 schools, 4 used Credential Solutions, 2 used Student Clearinghouse, and 1 used Transcripts on Demand.  All were equally easy, fast, and cheap (maybe $2-$3), sent email updates each step of the way (ordering, sending, and receiving).  All were completed within a few business days.

RE: Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters - Lacedonia4 - 03-03-2020

Colleges in Europe/and other countries do not cost as much as in the US.

RE: Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters - bjcheung77 - 03-03-2020

(03-03-2020, 07:40 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Colleges in Europe/and other countries do not cost as much as in the US.

To elaborate on this, yes - it's true. Most European countries and other "developing" countries have insanely cheap tuition. However, if you are in the US, there are the Big 3, the competency based programs, and the other programs that use MOOC as a medium which partner with top ranked US institutions.

That being said, if you do travel to a country in Europe or any other developing country that has a good school, that cheap tuition is offset with the other fees associated with board/food/room/textbooks and related fees. Anyways, there are so many different options to get a degree, one just has to find the degree they're looking for and the school that provides it.