Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU Demonstration of Currency-- This might screw everything up - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU Demonstration of Currency-- This might screw everything up (/Thread-TESU-Demonstration-of-Currency-This-might-screw-everything-up)

Pages: 1 2

TESU Demonstration of Currency-- This might screw everything up - zebra cow - 01-08-2020

Hi everyone, I just had a phone call with an academic advisor from TESU. He informed me that I could only have 9 credits that count towards my AOS that are older than 7 years. I'm enrolled for a BSBA with a concentration in Finance. He told me I had to fill out a Demonstration of Currency Form to have all of my AOS classes that are older than 7 years apply. This document asks for training that I've completed, courses I've done, or courses I've taught that are applicable to my AOS within the last ten years. I haven't done any. My focus for the past several years has been running my own online business. It's been successful and I believe that it should be enough to satisfy the dean at TESU but it doesn't matter what I think. The two classes that are being held up are International Trade and Intro to Risk Management. I think running my own business incorporates both of these perfectly (I can explain more if I need to). The problem is on the form it doesn't ask for anything like that. It does ask for passed employment and says I can attach documents if I need to but I don't know if that will be enough.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

My plan up until this point has been to do the cornerstone and capstone in February and graduate by June however that was based on the assumption that I would be transferring in 87 credits from my old college. With these credit possible being held up I'll have 81 transferrable. I've completed 5 study.com classes, CSMlearn,  and I'm in the process of taking two DAVAR tests. If I can get these two Davar tests done I will have the 100 credits to sign up for cornerstone and capstone. I can probably have them done by the weekend. If I transfer them in a soon as I get a grade will that be enough time for admission to add them to my account?

When I originally applied to TESU i did so with a concentration in General MGT. When I got my eval back it said I had 87 transferrable credits. I could always switch back to that, right? I want to graduate in June and ideally I'd like to get my concentration in finance but if I had to pick one I'd choose to graduate in June.  Do you guys think owning my own business will be enough to demonstrate to TESU that these two classes should count towards my degree progress? I hope this doesn't set me back. 

Thanks! ZC.

RE: TESU Demonstration of Currency-- This might screw everything up - dfrecore - 01-08-2020

There are 5 alternative credits for Finance available (Study.com, Davar, etc.). I think you pull in 3 courses that aren't easy to find (including the 2 you listed, and 1 more - you get to choose which ones they apply to the older than 7 years thing), and then take 3 more courses, and you're fine.

Study.com Finance courses:
FIN 301: Corporate Finance
FIN 302: International Finance
FIN 303: Financial Institutions & Markets
FIN 304: Security Analysis & Portfolio Management
FIN 306: Small Business Finance

Davar Exams:
FIN-401: Corporate Finance
FIN-401: Multinational Business Finance

DSST Exam:
Money and Banking

If you list the FIN/ECO courses that you have on your eval, and the course equivalency TESU gave them all (FIN-### or ECO-###), I can tell you which will be the best choices for you.

RE: TESU Demonstration of Currency-- This might screw everything up - zebra cow - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 11:15 AM)dfrecore Wrote: There are 5 alternative credits for Finance available (Study.com, Davar, etc.).  I think you pull in 3 courses that aren't easy to find (including the 2 you listed, and 1 more - you get to choose which ones they apply to the older than 7 years thing), and then take 3 more courses, and you're fine.

Study.com Finance courses:
FIN 301: Corporate Finance
FIN 302: International Finance
FIN 303: Financial Institutions & Markets
FIN 304: Security Analysis & Portfolio Management
FIN 306: Small Business Finance

Davar Exams:
FIN-401: Corporate Finance
FIN-401: Multinational Business Finance

DSST Exam:
Money and Banking

If you list the FIN/ECO courses that you have on your eval, and the course equivalency TESU gave them all (FIN-### or ECO-###), I can tell you which will be the best choices for you.
Okay so this eval was based on me applying for BSBA in General Management. I've attached my transcript and the eval just to clear up any confusion that may transpire from my response.  So they classes I've taken are:

RMI 273 Intro to risk management TESU equiv INS-271
FIN 351 Financial MGT TESU eqiv Fin 399
ECN 332 Managerial Econ TESU eco 340
ECN 448 Business and Econ Forecasting TESU equiv ECO 373
Fin 333 Corporate Finance TESU equiv Fin 311
ECN 443 International Trade TESU equiv ECO 391
ECN 343 Money and Banking TESU equiv ECO 332
FIN 352 Investments TESU equiv FIN 321

I take it you don't think my business experience will be enough to get the dean to approve these classes? Also, I don't mind taking whatever DIY classes I have to to graduate my main concern is being able to enroll in February to take the cornerstone and capstone to graduate in June. According to my count I'll have applicable 99 credits. Lastly, I didn't mention it before but I also completed the Institutes ethics 312 if that matters at all. Thanks for everything!

RE: TESU Demonstration of Currency-- This might screw everything up - dfrecore - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 11:48 AM)zebra cow Wrote: Okay so this eval was based on me applying for BSBA in General Management. I've attached my transcript and the eval just to clear up any confusion that may transpire from my response.  So they classes I've taken are:

I take it you don't think my business experience will be enough to get the dean to approve these classes? Also, I don't mind taking whatever DIY classes I have to to graduate my main concern is being able to enroll in February to take the cornerstone and capstone to graduate in June. According to my count I'll have applicable 99 credits. Lastly, I didn't mention it before but I also completed the Institutes ethics 312 if that matters at all. Thanks for everything!

I've never heard of anyone getting a DOC, so I don't know how easy/hard that will be.  Instead, you just need to change your concentration, as it looks like most of the FIN/ECON courses are less than 7 years old, and you may not have an issue.  Why go through a whole process if you don't need to?

RE: TESU Demonstration of Currency-- This might screw everything up - zebra cow - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 11:56 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 11:48 AM)zebra cow Wrote: Okay so this eval was based on me applying for BSBA in General Management. I've attached my transcript and the eval just to clear up any confusion that may transpire from my response.  So they classes I've taken are:

I've never heard of anyone getting a DOC, so I don't know how easy/hard that will be.  Instead, you just need to change your concentration, as it looks like most of the FIN/ECON courses are less than 7 years old, and you may not have an issue.  Why go through a whole process if you don't need to?
Firstly, thanks again, really I couldn't do this without all your help. I am forever grateful!
Now, when I spoke with the advisor he said that I had to do the DOC because the two courses I mentioned above were older than 7 years. However, on my transcript it looks like the only one that is older than 7 years is international trade which I took in 2012. Risk management is from Spring 2013 which according to my math is less than 7 years. I have already changed from General Management to Finance. Are you suggesting that I switch back? I don't think you are I just want to clarify.  In your opinion do I have enough to enroll for capstone and cornerstone in Feb? 
Also, to be fair, the guy I spoke with didn't sound to enthusiastic about his job and wasn't very helpful. He could have very well gave me incorrect info.

(01-08-2020, 12:10 PM)zebra cow Wrote:

Firstly, thanks again, really I couldn't do this without all your help. I am forever grateful!
Now, when I spoke with the advisor he said that I had to do the DOC because the two courses I mentioned above were older than 7 years. However, on my transcript it looks like the only one that is older than 7 years is international trade which I took in 2012. Risk management is from Spring 2013 which according to my math is less than 7 years. I have already changed from General Management to Finance. Are you suggesting that I switch back? I don't think you are I just want to clarify.  In your opinion do I have enough to enroll for capstone and cornerstone in Feb? 
Also, to be fair, the guy I spoke with didn't sound to enthusiastic about his job and wasn't very helpful. He could have very well gave me incorrect info.

The eval is for GM, so that's what I'm looking at.

You can switch to FIN on your own and get the eval for that - it should show up correctly.

DOC is what you need to do if MORE than 9cr/3courses are older than 7 years old.  You only have 1 course that is.

(01-08-2020, 04:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 12:10 PM)zebra cow Wrote:

The eval is for GM, so that's what I'm looking at.

You can switch to FIN on your own and get the eval for that - it should show up correctly.

DOC is what you need to do if MORE than 9cr/3courses are older than 7 years old.  You only have 1 course that is.

Okay I'm going to call the advising expressline tomorrow and see if they can give me any new information on what I need to do/where I'm at. Thanks!

RE: TESU Demonstration of Currency-- This might screw everything up - LevelUP - 01-08-2020

You could always tell them you want two separate concentrations for the BSBA in general management and finance.

Then before you are done with the capstone, figure out what you are willing to take.

(01-08-2020, 08:37 PM)LevelUP Wrote: You could always tell them you want two separate concentrations for the BSBA in general management and finance.

Then before you are done with the capstone, figure out what you are willing to take.

I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see what they say. Have you ever spoke with anyone at the advisor expressline? After speaking with an advisor named Don today I'm skeptical.

RE: TESU Demonstration of Currency-- This might screw everything up - LevelUP - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 09:13 PM)zebra cow Wrote: I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see what they say. Have you ever spoke with anyone at the advisor expressline? After speaking with an advisor named Don today I'm skeptical.

Yes, I used their expressline before. It's mainly for basic questions though. Email works too, it's (academicadvising) at tesu.edu.