Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU (/Thread-Upper-Level-Psych-Courses-for-TESU)

Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU - CM1999 - 01-19-2020

I'm looking for some current info on the required Psych and UL Psych courses for TESU.  

I finished the BA in Psych back in 2017 and now my daughter wants to do the same thing but I know their requirements changed.
is there a current list?   --when I was doing this we had some amazing wiki lists that showed how people did it --where they took the courses, etc.    Is there a current one out there?  
I think we have figured out all the Gen Ed stuff (she's doing stuff on Straigtherline right now) but the UL Psych and the required psych classes have me stumped.    

Thank you!!  

----and, just in case anyone needs encouragement:  I completed the BA in Psych at TESU and applied to grad schools (was accepted at all of the ones I applied to)  I'm now about 4 months away from completing my masters in marriage and family therapy at Northcentral University.  I'm LOVING my new work path and could NOT have done it if this forum wasn't around...it saved me tens of thousands of dollars and made it to where I could afford grad school Smile

RE: Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU - CarpeDiem8 - 01-19-2020

(01-19-2020, 07:50 PM)CM1999 Wrote: I'm looking for some current info on the required Psych and UL Psych courses for TESU.  

I finished the BA in Psych back in 2017 and now my daughter wants to do the same thing but I know their requirements changed.
is there a current list?   --when I was doing this we had some amazing wiki lists that showed how people did it --where they took the courses, etc.    Is there a current one out there?  
I think we have figured out all the Gen Ed stuff (she's doing stuff on Straigtherline right now) but the UL Psych and the required psych classes have me stumped.    

Thank you!!  

----and, just in case anyone needs encouragement:  I completed the BA in Psych at TESU and applied to grad schools (was accepted at all of the ones I applied to)  I'm now about 4 months away from completing my masters in marriage and family therapy at Northcentral University.  I'm LOVING my new work path and could NOT have done it if this forum wasn't around...it saved me tens of thousands of dollars and made it to where I could afford grad school Smile

I think what has changed since 2017 is the new SOC-110 requirement for TESU. 

JSD's wiki list is still current (and what I am using for the degree myself):

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/JSD%27s_BA_in_Psychology

HTH!

RE: Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU - suzycupcake - 01-19-2020

(01-19-2020, 07:50 PM)CM1999 Wrote: ----and, just in case anyone needs encouragement:  I completed the BA in Psych at TESU and applied to grad schools (was accepted at all of the ones I applied to)  I'm now about 4 months away from completing my masters in marriage and family therapy at Northcentral University.  I'm LOVING my new work path and could NOT have done it if this forum wasn't around...it saved me tens of thousands of dollars and made it to where I could afford grad school Smile

OH WOW - good for you! Congrats on that Smile

RE: Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU - CM1999 - 01-19-2020

(01-19-2020, 08:15 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 07:50 PM)CM1999 Wrote: I'm looking for some current info on the required Psych and UL Psych courses for TESU.  

Thank you!!  

I think what has changed since 2017 is the new SOC-110 requirement for TESU. 

JSD's wiki list is still current (and what I am using for the degree myself):

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/JSD%27s_BA_in_Psychology

HTH!

THANK YOU!    but I'm curious about something....that list shows study.com as having some UL classes.....when I was doing my degree I had to hurry and get some of those psych classes done because I was told that study.com classes were not going to count for UL credits after a certain date.   Have they been accepting them as UL lately??

RE: Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU - suzycupcake - 01-19-2020

Idk about SDC and UL but if they’re good with studying and passing exams, Coopersmith is the way to go. You get a PowerPoint crash course deck and everything in there is on the exam. You just study that and take the exam.

It’s $150 per class plus proctor fee. More expensive but a lot less work.

RE: Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU - CarpeDiem8 - 01-19-2020

Yes, I was enrolled in 2017 but was pursuing a different degree and recall the same, here are my notes from that time (I also hustled for some of the UL credits, like you!):

------------

Study.com Title/TESU Equivalency   (until Dec 31, 2017)

Biology 103: Microbiology
   BIO-351 Microbiology
Psychology 104: Social Psychology
   PSY-370 Social Psychology
Psychology 106: Abnormal Psychology
   PSY-350 Abnormal Psychology
Biology 106: Pathophysiology
   BIO-316 Pathophysiology
History 108: History of the Vietnam War
   HIS-351 A History of Vietnam War
Psychology 105: Research Methods in Psychology
   PSY-322 Research in Experimental Psychology
History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War
   HIS-351 A History of Vietnam War
Education 103: Classroom Management
   EDU-319 Classroom Management Techniques

Advanced Technical Writing is only UL until 12/31/17- If an enrolled student transfers it by 12/31/17.

------------

So, for example, the SDC "Research in Experimental Psychology" is now LL, but was UL in 2017.

In the end, the BA in Psych is still very alt credit friendly, even 3 years later! I wouldn't let that deter the plan in the least!

And like @suzycupcake pointed out, Coopersmith is a great alternative for UL now!

HTH!!!

Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU - mysonx3 - 01-20-2020

There are still a handful of SDC psychology courses that are upper level, you just have to make sure you do the right ones.

And I second the Coppersmith suggestion

Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU - harrypotter - 01-20-2020

UExcel has UL psych electives

Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU - harrypotter - 01-24-2020

Quick question, are there specific UL courses we need or could we bring in any 15 UL credits within AOS?

RE: Upper Level Psych Courses for TESU - CarpeDiem8 - 01-24-2020

(01-24-2020, 04:36 PM)harrypotter Wrote: Quick question, are there specific UL courses we need or could we bring in any 15 UL credits within AOS?

No, the AOS is fairly straightforward and specific, it's just your options that vary, depending on the course. 

Maybe this thread will help:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-AOS-for-BA-in-Psych-length-of-time-tips-etc

I fumbled a bit in the beginning, but the community jumped in and clarified where I messed up.

HTH!!!