Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Another Newbie Question - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Another Newbie Question (/Thread-Another-Newbie-Question)

Another Newbie Question - Hawaii5oh - 01-21-2020

I have been reading about the "Big 3", as well as WGU and am a bit confused.  Is WGU the only one with self-paced competency based learning model?  Do the other three have traditional semesters or do they have accelerated learning programs, as well?  Sorry, but there is A LOT of information to sift through and I am just not seeing a clear answer.

** It may very well be there in black and white and I'm simply missing it, but I have read so much over the last few days that it's all starting to run together for me...**

Mahalo!!

RE: Another Newbie Question - bjcheung77 - 01-21-2020

The Big 3/WGU are the most popular schools on this board because of the degrees they provide and the option to transfer 90 credits into their degrees. There are other providers, we have talked about that are similar to WGU which are also competency based, schools such as Brandman, Northern Arizona University, Purdue Global and so on - such as the for profits, APUS, Capella, Walden, etc, it all boils down to who gives you the most credits and allows you to complete it cheapest/easiest/fastest...

Note: Big 3 allow up to 114 credits transferred into their degree programs, WGU and other Competency Based degree providers only allow up to 90 (which is amazing, compared to other schools who allow up to 30-60 credits transferred). Big 3 requires a cornerstone/capstone to be done, and for the competency ones, you need to "finish" courses according to your schedule/timeline, some who are experienced in the subject matter can get those done amazingly fast - 30 credits in 6 months.

RE: Another Newbie Question - suzycupcake - 01-21-2020

(01-21-2020, 04:11 PM)Hawaii5oh Wrote: I have been reading about the "Big 3", as well as WGU and am a bit confused.  Is WGU the only one with self-paced competency based learning model?  Do the other three have traditional semesters or do they have accelerated learning programs, as well?  Sorry, but there is A LOT of information to sift through and I am just not seeing a clear answer.

** It may very well be there in black and white and I'm simply missing it, but I have read so much over the last few days that it's all starting to run together for me...**

Mahalo!!

I’m with you! It all becomes mush after a while. That’s how I feel researching competency based Masters programs right now. I can’t remember who said what about which one, etc. lol!

RE: Another Newbie Question - Hawaii5oh - 01-21-2020

(01-21-2020, 05:02 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The Big 3/WGU are the most popular schools on this board because of the degrees they provide and the option to transfer 90 credits into their degrees.  There are other providers, we have talked about that are similar to WGU which are also competency based, schools such as Brandman, Northern Arizona University, Purdue Global and so on - such as the for profits, APUS, Capella, Walden, etc, it all boils down to who gives you the most credits and allows you to complete it cheapest/easiest/fastest...

Note: Big 3 allow up to 114 credits transferred into their degree programs, WGU and other Competency Based degree providers only allow up to 90 (which is amazing, compared to other schools who allow up to 30-60 credits transferred).  Big 3 requires a cornerstone/capstone to be done, and for the competency ones, you need to "finish" courses according to your schedule/timeline, some who are experienced in the subject matter can get those done amazingly fast - 30 credits in 6 months.

Mahalo for taking the time to reply!  So, the Big 3 do have traditional semesters (if I actually took a class at one of them, it would be a traditional "semester" long course), but you can test out of a majority of the courses that are required...is what I'm getting.  WGU (and the others you mentioned) are the "get as much done as you can do in six months"..in a nutshell.  I appreciate the clarification :-)  Please let me know if I am wrong, though.

RE: Another Newbie Question - dfrecore - 01-21-2020

TESU has 12-week terms, not sure about the other 2. But none are traditional 16-week semesters I don't think.