Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
SL Comp II - Drafts vs Final - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: SL Comp II - Drafts vs Final (/Thread-SL-Comp-II-Drafts-vs-Final)

SL Comp II - Drafts vs Final - Tlm - 01-23-2020

I have never hated a class as much as I hate this one. I have taken way too long to complete it.  I am finishing the essays and the drafts are coming back completely different than the marked assignments. Things that one person says to change, the next is saying is wrong and that I should have left.  The feedback of a strong thesis statement on the draft is coming back as a weak thesis statement on the final.  I know I have to let it go, turn in the work, and be done with it.  My marks are still good, I am just getting nothing from this class. I just needed to vent.

RE: SL Comp II - Drafts vs Final - dfrecore - 01-23-2020

This has been complained about many, many times on this forum. It's why most of us stopped recommending SL for English Comp, and started going with other options.

RE: SL Comp II - Drafts vs Final - straighterline.com - 01-28-2020

(01-23-2020, 11:10 AM)Tlm Wrote: I have never hated a class as much as I hate this one. I have taken way too long to complete it.  I am finishing the essays and the drafts are coming back completely different than the marked assignments. Things that one person says to change, the next is saying is wrong and that I should have left.  The feedback of a strong thesis statement on the draft is coming back as a weak thesis statement on the final.  I know I have to let it go, turn in the work, and be done with it.  My marks are still good, I am just getting nothing from this class. I just needed to vent.

Hi Tlm, StraighterLine here. Thanks for your feedback about our English Comp draft review process. While we employ only highly qualified faculty evaluators, there can be some variability. That being said, we take our course standards very seriously.  Once faculty begin working directly with students, we regularly monitor their performance through multiple methodologies, including review of student feedback. As such, we'd be interested in learning more about your experience. Please private message us with your email address, and our academic manager will reach out to you directly. 

Note: We also want to highlight that we have a good reconciliation process – students just need to reach out to an advisor (877) 787-8375. Doing so helps us improve and gives you additional feedback as part of the process. 

RE: SL Comp II - Drafts vs Final - Merlin - 01-28-2020

(01-23-2020, 04:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This has been complained about many, many times on this forum.  It's why most of us stopped recommending SL for English Comp, and started going with other options.

Personally, I had a good experience with the teacher-led version of the SL English Comp courses. The instructor for those courses also grades the papers and is very consistent in the grading and notes.

If you go with the regular version, you'll get random assessors each time and they may contradict each other.

RE: SL Comp II - Drafts vs Final - dfrecore - 01-28-2020

(01-28-2020, 04:55 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 04:32 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This has been complained about many, many times on this forum.  It's why most of us stopped recommending SL for English Comp, and started going with other options.

Personally, I had a good experience with the teacher-led version of the SL English Comp courses. The instructor for those courses also grades the papers and is very consistent in the grading and notes.

If you go with the regular version, you'll get random assessors each time and they may contradict each other.

I will clarify: it's why most of us stopped recommending the regular version of English Comp on SL, and started going with the more expensive teacher-led version, or other course providers.

RE: SL Comp II - Drafts vs Final - rckola911 - 02-03-2020

Not sure if this helps but worked for me. I would upload the draft first and name it as such, ie Paper on blah DRAFT.doc Then when a revision was needed upload again same name but replace draft with FINAL, ie blah Final.doc . I had a pretty good experience doing this and always got a better score. I took both courses and they are definitely challenging but it shouldn't hold you back.