Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
When did SL start looking more like SDC? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: When did SL start looking more like SDC? (/Thread-When-did-SL-start-looking-more-like-SDC)

When did SL start looking more like SDC? - BrighterFuture88 - 01-23-2020

I am going back to SL to finish my remaining electives and noticed that a chunk of courses now have quizzes after every section like SDC does.  Was this a recent change?

RE: When did SL start looking more like SDC? - lacussucceed - 01-23-2020

Are they mandatory?

RE: When did SL start looking more like SDC? - BrighterFuture88 - 01-23-2020

(01-23-2020, 02:41 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: Are they mandatory?

From reading the grading criteria for these courses, yes.  I could be just now noticing these and they have been on these courses for some time, but I don’t remember ever seeing these requirements before, so I’m assuming SL is changing up their courses.

Courses that have this extra material:

- PE101: Personal Fitness & Wellness
- BUS105: Business Communication
- FIN101: Personal Finance
- CJ101: Introduction to Criminal Justice

And more.

RE: When did SL start looking more like SDC? - bjcheung77 - 01-23-2020

Wow, that's an interesting change. What course provider are they using for those courses now? Is it still Mcgraw-Hill or have they changed to Acrobatiq? I recall Acrobatiq courses are exactly like that, I only took two that had the Acrobatiq - Survey of World History and IT Fundamentals (this was about 3 year ago).

RE: When did SL start looking more like SDC? - lacussucceed - 01-23-2020

CJ101: on the page they have a bunch of topic quizzes, however the syllabus is not updated or the other way around, because I took this course w/ those quizzes and I'm pretty sure the syllabus was correct at that time

(01-23-2020, 03:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: What course provider are they using for those courses now?  Is it still Mcgraw-Hill or have they changed to Acrobatiq?

For most courses it is McGraw-Hill. Some (IT) courses: Wiley, Zyante or Acrobatiq. It is displayed on the course page.

I forgot Rosetta Stone (languages) and Thinkwell (science).

RE: When did SL start looking more like SDC? - BrighterFuture88 - 01-23-2020

(01-23-2020, 03:48 PM)lacussucceed Wrote: CJ101: on the page they have a bunch of topic quizzes, however the syllabus is not updated or the other way around, because I took this course w/ those quizzes and I'm pretty sure the syllabus was correct at that time

(01-23-2020, 03:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: What course provider are they using for those courses now?  Is it still Mcgraw-Hill or have they changed to Acrobatiq?

For most courses it is McGraw-Hill. Some (IT) courses: Wiley, Zyante or Acrobatiq. It is displayed on the course page.

I forgot Rosetta Stone (languages) and Thinkwell (science).

Ahhh ok.  My apologies on that.  I just now noticed a bunch of them structured like that and it threw me for a loop, haha.

RE: When did SL start looking more like SDC? - jsh1138 - 01-24-2020

SL badly needed an update. When I studied there a couple of years ago, it was just like they wanted to simulate you sitting at a desk and reading your textbook. It was very old fashioned and slow.

Study.com is the gold standard to me. Every online learning platform ought to at least have an app