Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Alternative to COSC - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: COSC - Charter Oak State College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-COSC-Charter-Oak-State-College-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Alternative to COSC (/Thread-Alternative-to-COSC)

Pages: 1 2

Alternative to COSC - nilahti2 - 01-23-2020

I had my mind set on going to COSC.  I submitted my application with an anticipation of starting 01-21-20.  They have all transcripts.  However, they have not completed my evaluation.   So I cannot register for this session.  I have to wait until March.  The capstone and cornerstone cannot be taken simultaneously.  So that also pushes me into taking summer school.  I had an a plan of completing my degree by the end of March.  But this school blown my plans to pieces.  Because their restrictions places me at finishing 08-16-20.  My reason for choosing this school was for affordability.  But this keeps me in a job that I hate for the majority of another year.  Can you suggest an alternative school that is a bit more flexible and brings me closer to my goal of finishing by the first quarter of the year?

RE: Alternative to COSC - udi - 01-23-2020

What degree are you trying to get? Usually WGU, TESU, and Excelsior are recommended. Do you have NCCRS credits?

I think it's too late to complete your degree by the end of March anywhere.

RE: Alternative to COSC - nilahti2 - 01-23-2020

BS degree. No NCCRS.

RE: Alternative to COSC - udi - 01-23-2020

My suggestion would be to hang in there and put the bachelor's degree on your resume and point out an 'expected graduation date' of Aug 2020.

Start looking for your new job once you're enrolled and explain to the interviewer that you want to start working in your field before you graduate.

COSC should have your evaluation in soon.

I'm not sure applying to another school will speed the process along.

RE: Alternative to COSC - bjcheung77 - 01-23-2020

Your only alternative is to go for one of the other Big 3 or a competency based degree provider like Brandman or WGU. Do you have a lot of courses for transfer? Competency providers allow up to 90 credits and you will need to complete the remaining 30 credits from them.

RE: Alternative to COSC - davewill - 01-23-2020

(01-23-2020, 12:21 PM)nilahti2 Wrote: I had my mind set on going to COSC.  I submitted my application with an anticipation of starting 01-21-20.  They have all transcripts.  However, they have not completed my evaluation.   So I cannot register for this session.  I have to wait until March. ...

Have you talked to them? I wouldn't think not having the eval would keep you from registering for the cornerstone.

RE: Alternative to COSC - dfrecore - 01-24-2020

I can't imagine that you couldn't do the cornerstone now. Not sure why they're not letting you, it doesn't make much sense.

What degree do you want? The only school that would let you go faster would probably be WGU - but they don't offer every degree that COSC and/or TESU does (and you couldn't get done that quickly at TESU either).

I think your expectations are out of whack, I think going into a school and expecting to graduate in 2 months is not realistic. The ONLY place I think this would be possible is WGU, and only if you already had 90cr, and knew everything that you needed to to basically test out of every course. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone graduating in 2 months there, although 4 is not unheard of.

RE: Alternative to COSC - nilahti2 - 01-24-2020

That’s what I thought. But they are standing firm that I cannot register for this session. And I have to wait until March - the 2nd spring semester.

(01-23-2020, 03:48 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Your only alternative is to go for one of the other Big 3 or a competency based degree provider like Brandman or WGU.  Do you have a lot of courses for transfer?  Competency providers allow up to 90 credits and you will need to complete the remaining 30 credits from them.
I have over 90 credits.

RE: Alternative to COSC - dfrecore - 01-24-2020

You still haven't said what degree you're getting, so we can't tell you where another option is.

RE: Alternative to COSC - nilahti2 - 01-24-2020

BS-Business Administration.