Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Advice on transfer credit D's - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Advice on transfer credit D's (/Thread-Advice-on-transfer-credit-D-s)

Pages: 1 2

Advice on transfer credit D's - bsinsc - 01-23-2020

Ok, so some of you helped me years ago get a degree plan together for myself at TESC, now TESU. I am seeking advice again. I have a 20 year old son who has been 2 years at a very well known college but has struggled with learning disabilities. I am trying to find a college he can at least transfer what he has for an AA/AS in anything. He has some D's and some military leadership classes amongst others. He just needs a degree so he can go on to flight training. He has 58 credits but like I said they are all over the board as far as grades and subjects. He's had such a hard time and we have spent so much $ we are at the point of just getting a degree of some description and move on to flight training. Does anyone know which colleges will work for this situation?

RE: Advice on transfer credit D's - davewill - 01-23-2020

The Big3 won't care what his grades are as far as admission goes. If the transfer GPA is too low, or if the D grades are in certain courses (like English) or in the AOS, they may disallow individual courses, but that's it.

RE: Advice on transfer credit D's - bsinsc - 01-23-2020

(01-23-2020, 09:50 PM)davewill Wrote: The Big3 won't care what his grades are as far as admission goes. If the transfer GPA is too low, or if the D grades are in certain courses (like English) or in the AOS, they may disallow individual courses, but that's it.

I forgot about the GPA...it's low! very low!

RE: Advice on transfer credit D's - davewill - 01-23-2020

In that case, some of the sub-C graded courses may be ignored, but they will still let him transfer the ones with higher grades. Post the credits with grades and we can help more.

RE: Advice on transfer credit D's - Sacricolist - 01-23-2020

What about the West Virginia Board of Governors Associate Degree Program:

https://secure.cfwv.com/Home/Board_of_Governors.aspx

This program is similar to the Big 3 in that they will accept credits  from many different sources and allow you to combine them into an Individualized Degree Plan.  This may be cheaper than the Big 3.  But hopefully others with more knowledge about this option will chime in soon.

Here's a breakdown of his credit:
Embry-Riddle Aero U, PHYS 241 The Physics of Flight Transfer Credit

Rochester Institute,GNRL 101 General Elective Transfer Credit[Image: web_transparent.gif]
BAND 101 UG Regimental Band/Pipes I, A
BIOL 130 UG Introduction to Biology I, D
BIOL 131 UG Intro to Biology Lab I, C
ENGL 101 Composition & Lit I, C
LDRS 101 UG First Year Experience, A
MLTY 101 UG Leadership & Personal Develop, C
AERO 102 UG, The Foundations of the USAF II, C
BAND 102 UG Regimental Band/Pipes II, A
BIOL 102 UG General Biology II, B
BIOL 112 UG General Biology Lab II, A
FNAR 350 UG Video Production, B
LDRS 111 UG Freshman Ethical Fitness Sem, P
BADM 217 UG Computer Applicatn in Business, D
FNAR 304 UG Drawing, D
HIST 105 UG World Civilization I, C
201 UG Team & Leadership Fundamentals, C
BADM 101, UG, Introduction to Business, D
BAND 201 UG Regimental Band/Pipes III, A
HIST 104 UG History Western Civ II, D
LDRS 201 UG Sophomore Sem in Prin Ldrship, C
AERO 202 UG Team & Leadership Fundamentals, D
BAND 202 UG Regimental Band/Pipes IV, A
ENGL 102 UG Composition & Lit II, B
RPED 251 UG Found/Fitness & Exercise, A
STAT 160 UG Statistical Methods, C

RE: Advice on transfer credit D's - bjcheung77 - 01-23-2020

LOL, he should apply to COSC/TESU if he hasn't already. I would go for an ASNSM Biology by completing the majority of the Biology credits from StraighterLine. He can continue laddering up to a Bachelors of Liberal Studies using mainly StraighterLine/Study.com and a few other cheap/easy/fast course providers... If cost is an issue, then an AA/AS and laddering to a BSLS from COSC would be the ticket. What are his interests in? Business, Education, IT, Nursing? If any of the four, if he's into competency based degrees, he may want to take a look at WGU as well.

RE: Advice on transfer credit D's - Sacricolist - 01-23-2020

You should also post how many credits each course was worth. Was each class listed worth 1, 2, 3, or 4 credits? This will make it easier to determine a degree plan from the experts who I’m sure will respond soon.

(01-23-2020, 11:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: LOL, he should apply to COSC/TESU if he hasn't already.  I would go for an ASNSM Biology by completing the majority of the Biology credits from StraighterLine.  He can continue laddering up to a Bachelors of Liberal Studies using mainly StraighterLine/Study.com and a few other cheap/easy/fast course providers...  If cost is an issue, then an AA/AS and laddering to a BSLS from COSC would be the ticket.  What are his interests in?  Business, Education, IT, Nursing?  If any of the four, if he's into competency based degrees, he may want to take a look at WGU as well.

Ok, he started off as a BIO major then changed to Business. I hadn't thought of straighterline that's a good idea! No $ is not the issue. You wouldn't believe what he already has cost. Not the best of ideas we've ever had. Just trying to help him get through with something at this point.

(01-23-2020, 11:03 PM)Sacricolist Wrote: You should also post how many credits each course was worth. Was each class listed worth 1, 2, 3, or 4 credits?  This will make it easier to determine a degree plan from the experts who I’m sure will respond soon.

Ok, I will do that...sorry it took me forever to copy/paste.

RE: Advice on transfer credit D's - udi - 01-24-2020

I actually don't think the grades are that bad. I would apply to COSC and TESU and take the path of least resistance based on the credit evaluation.