Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
First job after graduation - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: First job after graduation (/Thread-First-job-after-graduation)

First job after graduation - studyandpass5 - 02-04-2020

What has people's experience been when it comes to getting your first job after graduation? I am hoping to graduate in December (yay!) and will be 25. I'm pursuing a CIS degree from TESU. It's a bit daunting for me; I have no experience whatsoever in the IT field, so looking at even entry level positions seems a bit over my head. Does anyone have any advice or what worked for you?

RE: First job after graduation - davewill - 02-04-2020

Well, it's a good time to be looking for a job. The best thing to remember is that you have to believe in yourself. Don't imagine all sorts of expectations that your interviewer probably isn't holding. They know you are a new grad, and they won't expect you to have a lot of experience. What they will be looking for is your passion and intellect. Don't be afraid to tell them you don't know something, but instead talk about what you do know and how you would cope with finding the info you need.

RE: First job after graduation - Imbanewbie - 02-05-2020

Also you need to prepare couple different resumes, so you can start to apply different roles.do you have any certification on belt? It will help you to check box on hr screening

RE: First job after graduation - studyandpass5 - 02-05-2020

(02-05-2020, 07:51 AM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Also you need to prepare couple different resumes, so you can start to apply different roles.do you have any certification on belt? It will help you to check box on hr screening

I do not have any certifications yet. Are there any you would recommend for a new graduate in the IT field?

RE: First job after graduation - bjcheung77 - 02-06-2020

Basically - If you read my posts, I always recommend 3 things. 1) Certifications 2) Degree 3) Experience
1) Recommend the basic Business/IT certifications to you started, there are many to choose from - free/cheap.
2) I think you're going for a TESU BSBA: CIS concentration and you'll be done by the end of the year. Great!
3) While you're working on your final CIS AOS courses, you can work on #1 and also "check out local IT jobs".

Lastly, here are example Business and IT certs that might be for you.
Search the form for the Six Sigma White/Yellow belts that are FREE.
Google IT Professional Certification - finish this in one month for $49!
Wish you luck, there are FREE courses on Udemy to get you started.

RE: First job after graduation - quigongene - 02-06-2020

Although a bit more expensive, the CompTIA Trifecta (A+, Network+, Security+) should help land an entry level job. Additionally, N+ and S+ count for credit at TESU:

https://www2.tesu.edu/oplr/company.php?client=CompTIA&client=CompTIA

RE: First job after graduation - dfrecore - 02-06-2020

I would say you should look at jobs in your local area to see what types of certifications they're asking for to decide which ones to get. If you get Cert XYZ, but no one cares, you've wasted time and money getting that cert. If lots of companies are asking for Cert ABC and Cert DEF, then those are the ones you should get. BUT, of course, keep in mind that some of the really valuable certs require several years of experience and would be really hard for a beginner to pass in the first place. So it's a good idea to create a path to take you in a certain direction over the next 2-5 years. "I'm going to go down X path, and the most requested cert is Y, so I need to do A, B, and C over the first year to get going, and then build on it with D, E & F a couple of years later, ultimately going for Y by year 3." And, companies will often pay for your ongoing education in this area, so don't be afraid to start low and work your way up.

RE: First job after graduation - studyandpass5 - 02-06-2020

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! Lots of good information here that I will definitely be using.

RE: First job after graduation - changeyourmind90 - 04-23-2020

I was an assistant of head account manager in big investment company. Nice experience