Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: CLEP, DSST, and TECEP Exam Discussion. Also Modern States and InstantCert. (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-CLEP-DSST-and-TECEP-Exam-Discussion-Also-Modern-States-and-InstantCert)
+--- Thread: DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? (/Thread-DSST-Environmental-Science-or-DSST-Astronomy)

Pages: 1 2

DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? - ninod - 02-06-2020

Any thoughts on the level of difficulty of the two above tests - I need to take 1 of them for the gap in my LL credits? I have a fairly broad general knowledge, but I was leaning towards Environmental Science as something more applicable to everyday life.

RE: DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? - davewill - 02-06-2020

Astronomy is a pretty difficult test. Unless you already have a lot of knowledge in that area, I wouldn't pick it.

RE: DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? - quigongene - 02-07-2020

If you DO decide on Astronomy, Crash Course Astronomy on Youtube is an excellent source of study.

RE: DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? - GonnaGraduate - 02-13-2020

(02-06-2020, 04:54 PM)ninod Wrote: Any thoughts on the level of difficulty of the two above tests - I need to take 1 of them for the gap in my LL credits? I have a fairly broad general knowledge, but I was leaning towards Environmental Science as something more applicable to everyday life.

I'm taking it tomorrow. I'll reply here and in the DSST thread how I did and how difficult I thought it was. I have been studying with Mastering the DSST Vol. II (which has the ES section), from a study section in another thread, and SDC (I'm also taking classes through them.)

RE: DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? - Not_a_robot_101 - 02-13-2020

How about doing both through InstantCert Credit? It’s $59 for two classes a month? If your interested, PM me and I can hook you up with a discount code for 10% off. I was able to finish American Government and Accounting 1 in the first month. It was well worth it.

RE: DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? - GonnaGraduate - 02-13-2020

(02-06-2020, 04:54 PM)ninod Wrote: Any thoughts on the level of difficulty of the two above tests - I need to take 1 of them for the gap in my LL credits? I have a fairly broad general knowledge, but I was leaning towards Environmental Science as something more applicable to everyday life.

I took it today and passed with a 536. I read Mastering the DSST Vol. II (Environment and Humanity) and watched a lot of SDC videos (about 6 hours worth). I wold rank it as medium or a 3 out of 5 on a hardness scale. 

GG

RE: DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? - LevelUP - 02-13-2020

Military pass rates for both exams is 42%.

Astronomy is slightly easier and it may be easier to find resources on it.

Mastering the DSST is a must-have. They are usually spot-on as to what will be on the test. I would also add in some Quizlet flashcards to get all the terms down.

RE: DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? - Lacedonia4 - 02-20-2020

Is DSST for anyone or one must be active duty?

RE: DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? - dfrecore - 02-20-2020

(02-20-2020, 01:52 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Is DSST for anyone or one must be active duty?

Anyone can take an exam, you just have to find a testing center that is "open" rather than "limited."  Some schools are limited to their own students.  Some testing centers are limited because they're on a base.  But other than that, you should be fine.

RE: DSST Environmental Science or DSST Astronomy? - Lacedonia4 - 02-20-2020

(02-20-2020, 02:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-20-2020, 01:52 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Is DSST for anyone or one must be active duty?

Anyone can take an exam, you just have to find a testing center that is "open" rather than "limited."  Some schools are limited to their own students.  Some testing centers are limited because they're on a base.  But other than that, you should be fine.
Thanks, I didn't know that, this opens up more options for me. I will look into it.