Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Stuck - Need TESU plan help - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Stuck - Need TESU plan help (/Thread-Stuck-Need-TESU-plan-help)

Pages: 1 2

Stuck - Need TESU plan help - DezCez - 02-11-2020

Hi All,

Huge thanks to this forum - a gold mine!  I started my journey here a year and a half ago from scratch. I am enrolled at TESU and here's where I'm at now

BA in Communications
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tPAVZzBAO_I7ftS1n_GkchiRyUY2hvesubxLkptwJpM/edit#gid=2098668321

I haven't started any of upper-division course work so I can change direction.  Speed is my goal, my strength is test-taking my weakness is writing papers (not really a weakness but a loath it).  I'm good at tech so CIS or CS are on the table but I also enjoy Hist, Science, etc. Ideally, I'd like to test out of all possible classes.  I choose communications because I wanted something I could move through quickly that was a step up from a BSBA or BALS degree (looking for just a little specialization if possible).  For job-related purposes I need to step up the pace and having to complete courses from CSU or try and hunt down options to fill in the blanks is proving to be very challenging.  

The TESU site allows you to map your classes to a new program and I've done this a hundred times, plugged the results into spreadsheets and then tried to fill the requirements with CLEP,DSST or an self-study online program.  I pour over the site and make adjustments based on new info and cannot seem to find a plan that doesn't have classes that can't be covered by the above. 

My big question:
Does anyone have a current TESU acceptable plan that can be completed by testing out or self-study? (with the exception of the cornerstone course)
Anything from this list would be great. I'm also open to degrees not listed below.

RE: Stuck - Need TESU plan help - bjcheung77 - 02-11-2020

You're thinking too much and stalling at "deciding" on the degree. You should do the following, complete all the CLEP/MS showing in your template. Remove all the BS's showing from your list above, you should look at the BALS/BSBA for now. The reason is you can change your major when you get to roughly 90 credits, the courses are practically identical for ALL degrees for the first 90 credits, it's the final 30 credits that determine your major. Get the General Education courses done first through the use of MS/CLEP. You can decide between the BSBA/BALS or a BA in some major after.

RE: Stuck - Need TESU plan help - dfrecore - 02-11-2020

I'm not certain what bjcheung77 is talking about, you're almost done with GE - I'd complete those 3 courses. Then, I would wait to do more Free Electives, as you don't know how many you'll need until you choose a degree.

I do agree that you need to choose something, and move forward.

I want to question your thinking that Communications is a "step up" above a BSBA; this is not at all true. It's a step up from a BALS, but not from a BSBA. Yes, the GM concentration may be a bit generic within the scope of the BSBA, it's still a business degree, and can be very useful.

The Communications degree cannot be tested out of - CSU-Global is no longer an option unless you're an enrolled student there - you have to take at least 1 course there for $1050, in order to take any SSA's. But those 3 courses you have may not even be an option through CSU-G, because I don't think I've heard that TESU will take those SSA's to meet those requirements.

BACS, BSIT, BSTS, BSBA/CIS, and BSBA/MAR can all be done via test-out.

RE: Stuck - Need TESU plan help - allvia - 02-11-2020

There is the BA in Psychology - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/JSD%27s_BA_in_Psychology

RE: Stuck - Need TESU plan help - DezCez - 02-11-2020

(02-11-2020, 04:03 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not certain what bjcheung77 is talking about, you're almost done with GE - I'd complete those 3 courses.  Then, I would wait to do more Free Electives, as you don't know how many you'll need until you choose a degree.

I want to question your thinking that Communications is a "step up" above a BSBA; this is not at all true.  It's a step up from a BALS, but not from a BSBA.  Yes, the GM concentration may be a bit generic within the scope of the BSBA, it's still a business degree, and can be very useful.

The Communications degree cannot be tested out of - CSU-Global is no longer an option unless you're an enrolled student there - you have to take at least 1 course there for $1050, in order to take any SSA's.  But those 3 courses you have may not even be an option through CSU-G, because I don't think I've heard that TESU will take those SSA's to meet those requirements.

Thank you for your feedback and advice. I'd be happy with any of those options.  I tried mapping a plan for BSBA/CIS and came up with this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rf0zcM8TsvnKQUTCdN-VOD_VfgCnJ8kq/edit#gid=1711627211
and would love to know your thoughts.

I'm not sure how things will map in TESU i.e., currently, my Info Literacy shows as complete but when I select the option on the TESU site to show me what BSBA/CIS would look like it only offers the 2019-2020 catalog.  Is it fair to assume that they will honor the courses I'm already showing credit for?

RE: Stuck - Need TESU plan help - DezCez - 02-11-2020

(02-11-2020, 07:06 PM)allvia Wrote: There is the BA in Psychology - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/JSD%27s_BA_in_Psychology

Thank you!!

(02-11-2020, 07:12 PM)DezCez Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 04:03 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm not certain what bjcheung77 is talking about, you're almost done with GE - I'd complete those 3 courses.  Then, I would wait to do more Free Electives, as you don't know how many you'll need until you choose a degree.

I want to question your thinking that Communications is a "step up" above a BSBA; this is not at all true.  It's a step up from a BALS, but not from a BSBA.  Yes, the GM concentration may be a bit generic within the scope of the BSBA, it's still a business degree, and can be very useful.

The Communications degree cannot be tested out of - CSU-Global is no longer an option unless you're an enrolled student there - you have to take at least 1 course there for $1050, in order to take any SSA's.  But those 3 courses you have may not even be an option through CSU-G, because I don't think I've heard that TESU will take those SSA's to meet those requirements.

Thank you for your feedback and advice. I'd be happy with any of those options.  I tried mapping a plan for BSBA/CIS and came up with this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rf0zcM8TsvnKQUTCdN-VOD_VfgCnJ8kq/edit#gid=1711627211

I'm not sure how things will map in TESU i.e., currently, my Info Literacy shows as complete but when I select the option on the TESU site to show me what BSBA/CIS would look like it only offers the 2019-2020 catalog.  Is it fair to assume that they will honor the courses I'm already showing credit for?

Before https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oJGnFa679NgpFo6xJh0Yv-peekUPHdfM
After https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TuFFabMXBx0ag-aWEF1a9nz0GUOroKAu

RE: Stuck - Need TESU plan help - LevelUP - 02-12-2020

(02-11-2020, 07:12 PM)DezCez Wrote: Thank you for your feedback and advice. I'd be happy with any of those options.  I tried mapping a plan for BSBA/CIS and came up with this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rf0zcM8TsvnKQUTCdN-VOD_VfgCnJ8kq/edit#gid=1711627211
Computer Architecture doesn't count for CIS and looks like Systems Analysis & Design is listed twice.

You need 4 UL courses and there are very few options:
Study.com courses for BSBA CIS

Systems Analysis & Design 302
Database Management 303
Management Information Systems 303
Digital Marketing & Advertising 309

Agree with dfrecore finish up the 2 General Education courses.

Quantitative Lit: (csmlearn)
The easiest and quickest path is the Csmlearn.com course (first 2 hours free to try) for the statistics requirement.

Oral Comm: (study.com: Presentation Skills)
Most people recommend this course as it is fast with no speeches required.

You could take Maco or Mico economics for Gen Ed elective. Then if you for sure do the BSBA you need Gen Ed elective later on.

RE: Stuck - Need TESU plan help - bjcheung77 - 02-12-2020

Hey OP - My friend, we're getting further now.  I need to expand on my initial post.  You have decided on the degree (BSBA CIS) and you planned CLEPs/Study.com for your Gen Ed's and other requirements - yet to be completed.  Your spreadsheet is almost complete with all the required courses, we just need to verify those all are usable for each course transfer.  From a quick glance, seems fine to me.  Good job in finding the Study.com courses!

Most people on this board want to provide sound advice that will try to hit two of the three goals in obtaining your degree - cheap/easy/fast.  I like to do a bit more than that, by trying to be more personal and try to help you the best I can.  I like to provide the cheap/easy/fast + value.  There is one big issue with your degree plan.  I noticed your pdf's are a BA Comm and a BSBA CIS, you have roughly half of the info done (60 credits).  It may look like you just need the final 60 to complete, which it should be.

Here is my advice/plea to you:  I understand sometimes a GPA may play a factor in your thinking and you may want to start new/fresh and get a degree from the beginning.  That's perfectly fine, but that's going to bite you in the end by not telling TESU.  TESU degrees consist mainly all transferred courses and NONE of them will have a GPA.  You should quickly send in your previous transcipts to TESU for evaluation.  Basically, your Gen Eds should be done (60 credits) when you transfer in your previous degree.  

The main reason:  You may not need to right now, but when final audit comes, TESU and your previous degree institution both use the National Student Clearing House and they will know you have a previous degree.  Before issuing you a TESU degree, they will need you to send in your transcripts to them anyways for a final audit/evaluation and to update the NSCU.  They may not graduate you until you do so.

Again - I'm here to help, there is no way around this first degree disclosure to the school.  If you would like to send me a private message, I'm all ears for what your plans are and what you really want this degree for.  Be it personal, professional, just for fun - learning, it's great you want to continue with your education.  Your best bet right now is, skip the BSBA and go directly for a MBA from an unranked provider, say WGU as they're really good in 4 verticals - Business, Education, Nursing and IT.  Use the money you have that will help you further your education at a Graduate level instead.

RE: Stuck - Need TESU plan help - allvia - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 04:52 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey OP - My friend, we're getting further now.  I need to expand on my initial post.  You have decided on the degree (BSBA CIS) and you planned CLEPs/Study.com for your Gen Ed's and other requirements - yet to be completed.  Your spreadsheet is almost complete with all the required courses, we just need to verify those all are usable for each course transfer.  From a quick glance, seems fine to me.  Good job in finding the Study.com courses!

Most people on this board want to provide sound advice that will try to hit two of the three goals in obtaining your degree - cheap/easy/fast.  I like to do a bit more than that, by trying to be more personal and try to help you the best I can.  I like to provide the cheap/easy/fast + value.  There is one big issue with your degree plan.  I noticed your pdf's are a BA Comm and a BSBA CIS, you have roughly half of the info done (60 credits).  It may look like you just need the final 60 to complete, which it should be.

Here is my advice/plea to you:  I understand sometimes a GPA may play a factor in your thinking and you may want to start new/fresh and get a degree from the beginning.  That's perfectly fine, but that's going to bite you in the end by not telling TESU.  TESU degrees consist mainly all transferred courses and NONE of them will have a GPA.  You should quickly send in your previous transcipts to TESU for evaluation.  Basically, your Gen Eds should be done (60 credits) when you transfer in your previous degree.  

The main reason:  You may not need to right now, but when final audit comes, TESU and your previous degree institution both use the National Student Clearing House and they will know you have a previous degree.  Before issuing you a TESU degree, they will need you to send in your transcripts to them anyways for a final audit/evaluation and to update the NSCU.  They may not graduate you until you do so.

Again - I'm here to help, there is no way around this first degree disclosure to the school.  If you would like to send me a private message, I'm all ears for what your plans are and what you really want this degree for.  Be it personal, professional, just for fun - learning, it's great you want to continue with your education.  Your best bet right now is, skip the BSBA and go directly for a MBA from an unranked provider, say WGU as they're really good in 4 verticals - Business, Education, Nursing and IT.  Use the money you have that will help you further your education at a Graduate level instead.

For a moment I didn't follow what you were saying and then I saw this - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Advise-Re-Second-Degree-Plan

@DezCez - bjcheung77 is correct, you can't hide the existing degree - plus TESU allows 2nd degrees, so that is not going to be an issue. And your transfered in credits have no impact on your TESU GPA.

RE: Stuck - Need TESU plan help - SamCes - 02-14-2020

(02-12-2020, 04:52 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey OP - My friend, we're getting further now.  I need to expand on my initial post.  You have decided on the degree (BSBA CIS) and you planned CLEPs/Study.com for your Gen Ed's and other requirements - yet to be completed.  Your spreadsheet is almost complete with all the required courses, we just need to verify those all are usable for each course transfer.  From a quick glance, seems fine to me.  Good job in finding the Study.com courses!

Thank you and sorry for the confusion.  There are two family members in our household that are members of this forum.  I mistakenly posted my question to the wrong account (we share a laptop...) - I am SamCes