Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
American Public University IT BSIT degree - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General "Big 3", B&M colleges, and other colleges (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Big-3-B-M-colleges-and-other-colleges)
+--- Thread: American Public University IT BSIT degree (/Thread-American-Public-University-IT-BSIT-degree)

Pages: 1 2

American Public University IT BSIT degree - reylok - 03-28-2020

I am an older computer programmer, slightly math challenged, who needs a "check box degree". I stumbled on to American Public University's IT BSIT degree, which appears to have no real Math requirement. Their "Mathematics and Applied Reasoning" requirement has the suggested class of "ENTD200 Fundamentals of Programming" (Python). It would be fantastic if I could get a degree without having to retrain myself on math, and any programming class would be easy for me.  I had some questions if anyone knows:

1) Is APU respected? (it seems to be loved by its students)

2) Are there any cons about APU I should know?

3) Anyone here go to APU, or get this degree?

4) Are there other schools with IT degrees with no real math requirement?

RE: American Public University IT BSIT degree - natshar - 03-28-2020

WGU requires: Stats, Finite math and algebra

TESU requires: College Algebra and a course beyond college algebra

But for both these schools, you can transfer in this requirement with ACE courses that might not be as daunting as a math class. If you are math-phobic check out CSM course it counts as Stats at WGU idk if it would work for TESU IT degree.

Also do you have any prior college credit? You already have the requirement done with prior credit.

RE: American Public University IT BSIT degree - reylok - 03-28-2020

(03-28-2020, 09:35 PM)natshar Wrote: WGU requires: Stats, Finite math and algebra

TESU requires: College Algebra and a course beyond college algebra

But for both these schools, you can transfer in this requirement with ACE courses that might not be as daunting as a math class. If you are math-phobic check out CSM course it counts as Stats at WGU idk if it would work for TESU IT degree.

Also do you have any prior college credit? You already have the requirement done with prior credit.

Which ACE courses, you mean take a math class somewhere for ACE credit, and transfer it  to WGU or TESU?  Or take an ACE class in some other subject, and transfer it in place of math?

I have about 30% of a 4 year degree in credits from other schools, but no real Math ones except Algebra I.

What is a CSM course?

RE: American Public University IT BSIT degree - natshar - 03-28-2020

CSM is one of the many ACE course options. No I mean take a math course for ACE credit. I'm saying that math ACE course might be easier to work with than an actual math course. Plus its self paced so you can work at on your own deadlines.

Ok so you have Algebra that's a start. So that counts for something.

RE: American Public University IT BSIT degree - bjcheung77 - 03-28-2020

Hey reylok, the best way for us to help you is to find out what credits you have and what you need to finish your degree. There are the Big 3 that allow 114 credits of 120 transferred into their Bachelors and then there are the Competency Based degree providers that allow up to a max of 90 credits. Now it depends how many credits match their requirements, but generally, all of these are great with transfers as long as the courses pretty much match the same course as what they require or offer.

I noticed you're looking at APUS BSIT, they have the regular class version and the competency based version which is cheaper/easier/faster as it's self paced and you can blast past whatever you know. See link of programs: https://catalog.apus.edu/undergraduate/academic-programs/bachelors/ and if you see the word *momentum* beside the degree, those are competency based.

Now, APUS allows up to 90 credits transfer for their Bachelors, however; that being said, they only allow 60 ACE credits for transfer. That is one example of a school, there are others like Brandman, Capella, NAU, U of Wisconsin, Walden, WGU and so on, they all have competency based degrees.

Most of the schools that offer great transfer amounts or number of credits, they allow unlimited transfers to the degree but require 30 credits residency, you'll be lucky to find schools that allow 75% of the degree to be transferred, as most state or public schools that are traditional B&M schools, they only allow 25% to 50% max!

RE: American Public University IT BSIT degree - reylok - 04-06-2020

(03-28-2020, 11:16 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey reylok, the best way for us to help you is to find out what credits you have and what you need to finish your degree.  There are the Big 3 that allow 114 credits of 120 transferred into their Bachelors and then there are the Competency Based degree providers that allow up to a max of 90 credits.  Now it depends how many credits match their requirements, but generally, all of these are great with transfers as long as the courses pretty much match the same course as what they require or offer.

I noticed you're looking at APUS BSIT, they have the regular class version and the competency based version which is cheaper/easier/faster as it's self paced and you can blast past whatever you know.  See link of programs: https://catalog.apus.edu/undergraduate/academic-programs/bachelors/ and if you see the word *momentum* beside the degree, those are competency based.

Now, APUS allows up to 90 credits transfer for their Bachelors, however; that being said, they only allow 60 ACE credits for transfer.  That is one example of a school, there are others like Brandman, Capella, NAU, U of Wisconsin, Walden, WGU and so on, they all have competency based degrees.

Most of the schools that offer great transfer amounts or number of credits, they allow unlimited transfers to the degree but require 30 credits residency, you'll be lucky to find schools that allow 75% of the degree to be transferred, as most state or public schools that are traditional B&M schools, they only allow 25% to 50% max!

I don't have very many courses, some computer classes and an Algebra class.  The APU "Momentum" degree appears to require an Associates degree before you can enter.

"Prospective students must have an associate of arts degree, associate of science degree or bachelor’s degree to participate and cannot transfer from a traditional APUS degree program."

https://www.apus.edu/newsroom/press-releases/2017/02-02-american-public-university-system-launches-momentum-competency-based-education-program

Unless I am reading it wrong.

RE: American Public University IT BSIT degree - dfrecore - 04-06-2020

(04-06-2020, 09:50 PM)reylok Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 11:16 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey reylok, the best way for us to help you is to find out what credits you have and what you need to finish your degree.  There are the Big 3 that allow 114 credits of 120 transferred into their Bachelors and then there are the Competency Based degree providers that allow up to a max of 90 credits.  Now it depends how many credits match their requirements, but generally, all of these are great with transfers as long as the courses pretty much match the same course as what they require or offer.

I noticed you're looking at APUS BSIT, they have the regular class version and the competency based version which is cheaper/easier/faster as it's self paced and you can blast past whatever you know.  See link of programs: https://catalog.apus.edu/undergraduate/academic-programs/bachelors/ and if you see the word *momentum* beside the degree, those are competency based.

Now, APUS allows up to 90 credits transfer for their Bachelors, however; that being said, they only allow 60 ACE credits for transfer.  That is one example of a school, there are others like Brandman, Capella, NAU, U of Wisconsin, Walden, WGU and so on, they all have competency based degrees.

I don't have very many courses, some computer classes and an Algebra class.  The APU "Momentum" degree appears to require an Associates degree before you can enter.

"Prospective students must have an associate of arts degree, associate of science degree or bachelor’s degree to participate and cannot transfer from a traditional APUS degree program."

https://www.apus.edu/newsroom/press-releases/2017/02-02-american-public-university-system-launches-momentum-competency-based-education-program

Unless I am reading it wrong.

You are reading it correctly.  The APU Momentum programs all require an AA or AS, which basically means they want the GE's out of the way (so an AAS won't do), and you do all of the remaining credits entirely in the major.

RE: American Public University IT BSIT degree - MNomadic - 04-06-2020

This is the csm course:

https://www.csmlearn.com/home

Also, consider Sophia. They are currently completely free, self paced, and their math courses are a little more manageable for people who struggle in the subject. In fact, they have "foundation" courses to help bring you up to speed.

https://www.sophia.org/

RE: American Public University IT BSIT degree - reylok - 04-07-2020

Anyone have any responses for three of my original questions?

RE: American Public University IT BSIT degree - ROYISAGIRL - 04-07-2020

(04-07-2020, 09:29 PM)reylok Wrote: Anyone have any responses for three of my original questions?

1. I've never heard of anyone not getting a job because of APU .

2. They have a decent selection of courses and degrees and if you're military they take a lot of your JST.

3. I don't have a degree from them, but I've taken courses and enjoyed them enough. When I'm done with TESU I think I'll do the forestry certificate or degree.