Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: COSC - Charter Oak State College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-COSC-Charter-Oak-State-College-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 (/Thread-Charter-Oak-ends-FEMA-IS-credits-6-1-2020)

Pages: 1 2

Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 - Glen1 - 04-03-2020

Transfer Credit Policy Changes:
  • Effective January 16, 2020, credit will no longer be accepted in transfer from the following organizations:

• Consortium for International Studies (CIS)
    • Coopersmith
    • Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (RIJS)
    • Tor Academy
  • As of July 1, 2020 the DSST Exam: Substance Abuse will be considered lower level credit. It will no longer be upper level in transfer.

• As of February 19, 2020, the AP Exam: Art/Studio Drawing or General Portfolio will no longer be accepted in transfer. The ACE evaluation expired some time ago and the College will no longer accept it in transfer.

• As of June 1, 2020, Charter Oak State College will no longer accept in transfer FEMA Independent Study (IS) Courses. These courses will also not be accepted in our Credit Registry program. The College will continue to accept the FEMA courses that have been reviewed for credit by ACE. Please note: These are not the same as the FEMA IS courses.
    • Students will  have until 5/1/2020 to take the FEMA IS courses. They will then have until 6/1/2020 to send their transcripts to Charter Oak. No FEMA transcripts with IS courses will be accepted after 6/1/2020.

[img]chrome-extension://dbkmjjclgbiooljcegcddagnddjedmed/pics/save2-32.png[/img]

[img]chrome-extension://dbkmjjclgbiooljcegcddagnddjedmed/pics/save2-32.png[/img]

RE: Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 - SteveFoerster - 04-03-2020

It's the end of an era! I'm tempted to get my kids to knock out a few before the end of the month, but I know neither of them would be at all interested in the subject matter, so I get that it would be for the wrong reason.

RE: Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 - jsh1138 - 04-03-2020

predictable but still too bad

RE: Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 - bluebooger - 04-03-2020

Coopersmith -- was popular for its Linear Algebra -- https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/

I'm sure it has other popular courses, but Linear Algebra is the one I remember seeing people talking about all the time

RE: Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 - jsd - 04-03-2020

Still very curious what happened with that first January 16th group, as all of those orgs are closely related to each other. COSC must have found something they didn't like.

RE: Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 - withrown - 04-03-2020

Those FEMA classes have a special place in my heart. They were the first alt credits I completed. Sad

RE: Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 - bjcheung77 - 04-03-2020

The only FEMA courses I would recommend getting before they go Kaput are the ones that make up the FEMA IS PDS, I recall there being 7 courses so it would be 7 credits towards your COSC degree. COSC made several changes, gone are the days where you can transfer in 17-33 FEMA credits, it's now 3-9 max.

RE: Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 - shaas - 04-06-2020

(04-03-2020, 12:38 PM)jsd Wrote: Still very curious what happened with that first January 16th group, as all of those orgs are closely related to each other. COSC must have found something they didn't like.

I can tell you offline if you'd like, though I don't think I should comment publicly on exactly what we know about why COSC did what they did.

I will say three things:

1. It has nothing to do with any COSC objection to any Coopersmith course, assessment or course materials.

2. The answer lies in the wording of your question; and

3. It was merely step 1 in COSC's move away from non-collegiate learning

From what I've been told, come summer (though I don't know what role the COVID-19 outbreak may change their plans), non-collegiate learning sources will have to be reviewed by COSC directly for them to accept transfer credits. We could apply using this process too, though I don't know if we will.

RE: Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 - bjcheung77 - 04-06-2020

shaas, ah yes, I knew this would happen!! They're following in the footsteps of TESU in weeding out alternative players by creating an "approved provider directory" listing or something along the lines to "evaluate" on their end further how these courses matches up to a real class, it's like another internal audit of each course before they'll accept it.

RE: Charter Oak ends FEMA IS credits 6\1\2020 - bluebooger - 04-06-2020

January 16th was the day after Martin Luther King Jr's birthday

coincidence ??

only conspiracy theorists know for sure