Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) (/Thread-ALEKS-free-for-two-months-start-by-April-30-2020)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) - PrettyFlyforaChiGuy - 04-04-2020

"For a limited time through April 30, 2020, parents can sign up their children for 2 months of complimentary access to ALEKS."

The subscription option is for two months without automatic renewal. ALEKS would be great to fulfill some math/stat requirements, but be aware of overlapping content:

"ACE CREDIT-RECOMMENDED ALEKS COURSES:
  • College Algebra

• Trigonometry

• College Algebra with Trigonometry

• PreCalculus

• Introduction to Statistics

• Business Statistics

• Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences

*Students cannot receive ACE credit for both of the courses in the following combinations:
  • College Algebra and College Algebra with Trigonometry

• College Algebra and PreCalculus

• College Algebra with Trigonometry and Trigonometry

• Trigonometry and PreCalculus

• College Algebra with Trigonometry and PreCalculus

• Introduction to Statistics and Business Statistics

• Introduction to Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences

• Business Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences"

RE: ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) - terryd5150 - 04-04-2020

That's a good deal but anyone considering this for ACE credit will want to check the ACE recommendations closely.

At least four of those courses expire on 5/31/20.

RE: ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) - PrettyFlyforaChiGuy - 04-04-2020

(04-04-2020, 02:29 AM)terryd5150 Wrote: That's a good deal but anyone considering this for ACE credit will want to check the ACE recommendations closely.

Actually, all of them have that expiry date! While their previous renewals show an unbroken chain stretching back to 1999, there is no guarantee, so getting them done quickly would be the best bet.

RE: ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) - indigoshuffle - 04-04-2020

(04-04-2020, 02:43 AM)PrettyFlyforaChiGuy Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 02:29 AM)terryd5150 Wrote: That's a good deal but anyone considering this for ACE credit will want to check the ACE recommendations closely.

Actually, all of them have that expiry date! While their previous renewals show an unbroken chain stretching back to 1999, there is no guarantee, so getting them done quickly would be the best bet.

ALEKS sucks

RE: ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) - PrettyFlyforaChiGuy - 04-04-2020

(04-04-2020, 07:25 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: ALEKS sucks

I haven't taken any of them and barely know anything about their platform, so do you have anything more substantial to explain why? I completed Sophia's math courses on a whim recently; I thought that while the overall presentation and ease of demonstrating what you already know were both high points, the lack of practice problems could be troublesome for students learning the material for the first time.

RE: ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) - MNomadic - 04-04-2020

Thanks for sharing!

RE: ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) - bjcheung77 - 04-04-2020

ALEKS was good for me, I grabbed 9 credits from them for Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra and Precalculus, that was when it duplicates Trigonometry. I did Beginning Algebra and Trig as well, but one was developmental and the other was a duplicate. 9 credits for $20/month is good, I did 9 credits with Shmoop as well with their first 3 ACE courses in History as that was just $25/month, too bad they didn’t have anything else then...

RE: ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) - jsd - 04-04-2020

Remember that ALEKS is a lot different upon their most recent renewal than they were back when most of the DegreeForum info you'll find about them was written. It used to be a completely open, keep working the pie until you hit 70%, as much as you want kind of thing.

now they have a locked-down browser test mode.

RE: ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) - lacussucceed - 04-04-2020

I wasn't aware. Can you still just keep practicing till 70% using this locked down browser test mode? Or are these proctored tests w/ x attempts to get 70% at once?

RE: ALEKS free for two months (start by April 30, 2020) - indigoshuffle - 04-05-2020

(04-04-2020, 09:10 AM)PrettyFlyforaChiGuy Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 07:25 AM)indigoshuffle Wrote: ALEKS sucks

I haven't taken any of them and barely know anything about their platform, so do you have anything more substantial to explain why? I completed Sophia's math courses on a whim recently; I thought that while the overall presentation and ease of demonstrating what you already know were both high points, the lack of practice problems could be troublesome for students learning the material for the first time.
I tried ALEKS twice, my daughter tried it and a couple other kids I was helping and all I can say is that no one liked it. Maybe I’ll give it another try if they changed the format but I’m more of a textbook and lecture person (which is why I like SL). ALEKS would probably be better for someone with lots of prior knowledge or taken as a supplement with a class.

There was another kid in my neighborhood who finished Sophia, but when I would quiz him, he was lost and confused due to Sophia not having enough practice problems. I found the same issue with Khan academy. 

What wound up happening is that I purchased my high school algebra book on amazon for $10.00 and had my daughter go through every single question from cover to cover, then we just used Sophia as a test out (they had a huge sale at the time). The whole process took a year due to her being only 14 years old at the time. Also, textbooks are less distracting for some ppl, whereas newer digital textbooks have a lot of videos, and interactive stuff that was far too distracting for my daughter. So for something like math, it is my personal opinion, that the best way is sometimes the old ways.

For what it’s worth, I see that ASU EA algebra is ALEKS based, so some ppl might enjoy that.