Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA (/Thread-Duke-University-s-Fuqua-School-of-Business-MSQM-BA)

Pages: 1 2

Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA - ThatBankDude - 04-07-2020

I wanted to give some information regarding Duke University's Fuqua School of Business and the Master of Science in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics that they offer online. One of my connections went to the same undergraduate University as I did (East Central University) and then pursued his MBA at Duke. He is currently the President and CEO of US Polo Assn. Global Licensing Inc. Through our conversation I knew I was going to apply to this program.

I applied to the program in late February after getting all of my application documents (LOR, transcripts, essays, etc.) and I heard back in late March. The program is expensive and it is not for those wanting a fast, cheap, check-the-box type degree. It is a degree from one of the Top 15 business schools in the United States and a Top 25 in the world.

The purpose of this post is to essentially create a "log" of my journey through the program for others.

By putting my deposit down, I turned down an admissions offer from Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School.[attachment=3113]

RE: Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA - Stoic - 04-07-2020

(04-07-2020, 10:20 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I wanted to give some information regarding Duke University's Fuqua School of Business and the Master of Science in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics that they offer online. One of my connections went to the same undergraduate University as I did (East Central University) and then pursued his MBA at Duke. He is currently the President and CEO of US Polo Assn. Global Licensing Inc. Through our conversation I knew I was going to apply to this program.

I applied to the program in late February after getting all of my application documents (LOR, transcripts, essays, etc.) and I heard back in late March. The program is expensive and it is not for those wanting a fast, cheap, check-the-box type degree. It is a degree from one of the Top 15 business schools in the United States and a Top 25 in the world.

The purpose of this post is to essentially create a "log" of my journey through the program for others.

By putting my deposit down, I turned down an admissions offer from Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School.

What' the total cost for the program? Any scholarships or financial aid for graduate students?

RE: Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA - ThatBankDude - 04-08-2020

(04-07-2020, 11:05 PM)Stoic Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 10:20 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: I wanted to give some information regarding Duke University's Fuqua School of Business and the Master of Science in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics that they offer online. One of my connections went to the same undergraduate University as I did (East Central University) and then pursued his MBA at Duke. He is currently the President and CEO of US Polo Assn. Global Licensing Inc. Through our conversation I knew I was going to apply to this program.

By putting my deposit down, I turned down an admissions offer from Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School.

What' the total cost for the program? Any scholarships or financial aid for graduate students?
Total cost is $66,000. Merit based scholarships are available as well as Federal and Private loans.

RE: Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA - Stoic - 04-08-2020

(04-08-2020, 06:13 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:

Total cost is $66,000. Merit based scholarships are available as well as Federal and Private loans.
 66k on a business degree is one hell of a commitment.

RE: Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA - ThatBankDude - 04-08-2020

(04-08-2020, 06:54 AM)Stoic Wrote:

I agree. It is definitely not for those looking for cheap. I think it is priced in line with NYU Stern and their MSQM degree which is $67,000. The immersion experiences and access to their CMC, alumni, etc. will be awesome. The networking I have already been able to do since updating my LinkedIn has been incredible. The Fuqua community has been very welcoming with many offering to assist me in moving into a position with a F500 or F100 company.

RE: Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA - Stoic - 04-08-2020

(04-08-2020, 07:07 AM)ThatBankDude Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 06:54 AM)Stoic Wrote:

I agree. It is definitely not for those looking for cheap. I think it is priced in line with NYU Stern and their MSQM degree which is $67,000. The immersion experiences and access to their CMC, alumni, etc. will be awesome. The networking I have already been able to do since updating my LinkedIn has been incredible. The Fuqua community has been very welcoming with many offering to assist me in moving into a position with a F500 or F100 company.
Sounds awesome. Good luck.

RE: Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA - bjcheung77 - 04-18-2020

Hmm, I just looked at the cost of the degree. That's out of my range, in fact, out of my range of Doctorate/Ph.D. programs as well, I think the only one close to that I'm looking at is the NCU Doctorates such as their DBA, I'll only go into the program if I can get the 60K scholarship (almost full-ride I think)...

RE: Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA - Stoic - 04-18-2020

In America we are all about brand. I remember asking a friend of mine who doesn't have a degree but at one point was accepted and attended a top university that he should place all of his credits into one of the big 3. TESU, I believe and he mentioned that he rather not have a degree than have to put that on his resume. That it looks better to be an entrepreneur with just a hs diploma and the background of a drop out than to have a degree from what it is basically a non branded institution.

I agree with him to be honest at times. I'm getting a bachelors from a tier 4 school through their competency program and unless I get a masters from the Harvard Extension or a top university in Europe, I won't put it in my resume or linked in. Because i dont feel proud of it. Is not taking any effort for me and its all online based where I don't even know my classmates.

So what I mean is that in a way a 50K+ is expensive, but if you got a legit plan to make that work for you, then is better than a 10k master from a crappy brand or tier 4 university in Missouri that no one ever heard of. Unless you're a government employee  or in the military and you're just using this for ranking within the organization. Duke is likely to be a meaningful experience, shame is so expensive and I'm beyond the work at a corporate office period in my life. On another point, those masters from the UK look interesting, but i would to move there and to an Airbnb for a few months and hang out at the campus and stuff and take photos and attend lectures to make it meaningful.

RE: Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA - dfrecore - 04-18-2020

(04-18-2020, 02:42 AM)Stoic Wrote: In America we are all about brand. I remember asking a friend of mine who doesn't have a degree but at one point was accepted and attended a top university that he should place all of his credits into one of the big 3. TESU, I believe and he mentioned that he rather not have a degree than have to put that on his resume. That it looks better to be an entrepreneur with just a hs diploma and the background of a drop out than to have a degree from what it is basically a non branded institution.

For the VAST majority of people, and careers, a Bachelor's degree from an RA school is just fine, and SHOULD be on your resume.  There are maybe 3% of careers in VERY specific fields that need a branded degree.  Finance is one of them, and then only if you're looking at some very specific cities/roles/companies.

For the other 97% of people, just get a good cheap degree and start your career.  You'll be fine.  No one cares where you got your degree.  No one.

RE: Duke University's Fuqua School of Business MSQM:BA - ThatBankDude - 04-19-2020

(04-18-2020, 06:25 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 02:42 AM)Stoic Wrote: In America we are all about brand. I remember asking a friend of mine who doesn't have a degree but at one point was accepted and attended a top university that he should place all of his credits into one of the big 3. TESU, I believe and he mentioned that he rather not have a degree than have to put that on his resume. That it looks better to be an entrepreneur with just a hs diploma and the background of a drop out than to have a degree from what it is basically a non branded institution.

For the VAST majority of people, and careers, a Bachelor's degree from an RA school is just fine, and SHOULD be on your resume.  There are maybe 3% of careers in VERY specific fields that need a branded degree.  Finance is one of them, and then only if you're looking at some very specific cities/roles/companies.

For the other 97% of people, just get a good cheap degree and start your career.  You'll be fine.  No one cares where you got your degree.  No one.
While no one will care where I get my degree from, I personally do. I understand the cost of the degree is more than most on this forum would want to pay but at the end of the day, it is my education.