Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Walden - MBA fast & cheapest option for my situation? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Walden - MBA fast & cheapest option for my situation? (/Thread-Walden-MBA-fast-cheapest-option-for-my-situation)

Pages: 1 2 3

Walden - MBA fast & cheapest option for my situation? - Kjf1 - 04-10-2020

HI! I don’t mean to belittle that fact that an MBA is important but I am needing one for a promotion opportunity. It is simply required. 

I have taken 27 credits from an international MBA program 7 years ago and due to health issues, I didn’t compete the program. That was roughly 9 classes that are 8 years old. It cover basic graduate level finance, marketing, accounting, leadership, management - etc

I have began researching for online Universities that might accept my courses to transfer. I was referred by mostly all universities to getting it evaluated first by a NACES approved member, but it will cost me money, time and hassle. 

To my surprise, Walden offers free evaluation of International transcripts. So far they considered 5 classes transferable out of the 10 courses required to earn a standard MBA degree (one being the capstone and the non credit “business essentials course”) 

So basically It boils down to 5 remaining classes. But to my surprise, the cost is still not a joke, unless I’m suppose to find it really cheap at the price I calculated?

I have been considering TEMPO (competency based) but they don’t have it for the standard MBA, and only for a specialization in Healthcare Management or Project Management. This is an additional 3 Graduate level courses.

So basically my options are

1. Sign up for the WALDEN Fast-track program, which will be 5 remaining out of 10 classes you can possibly finish in 6 months (according to the enrollment advisor)  - sums up to around 11-12k
  1. Or do TEMPO (Competency based) but add 3 more to the 5 classes left to earn a specialization which can take long, and might almost cost the same..(I wish they offered tempo for the standard MBA, I don’t know why they don’t) 
  1. OR Look somewhere else that will accept my credits through their own internal evaluation since I don’t want to have to go to the process of getting it evaluated and accept most of my graduate level courses. 
I have considered checking WGU, Capella, and Purdue Global. They need it evaluate before I can possibly know what they will accept.. seems like sticking to Walden is my best shot at this point to avoid the hassle during this pandemic,

I do understand Walden is a for profit school. But my 
Purpose of earning is a simply for the opportunity at work, although It would be awesome to earn an MBA in the USA! 

Any recommendations would be appreciated based on my limited terms. Thank you.

RE: Walden - MBA fast & cheapest option for my situation? - bjcheung77 - 04-10-2020

Where are you now and where was the degree from, which university? Does your university have online education? Why not finish the degree there if they do?

RE: Walden - MBA fast & cheapest option for my situation? - Leslie2828 - 04-10-2020

You need to get it evaluated first if it’s an international degree.

RE: Walden - MBA fast & cheapest option for my situation? - Kjf1 - 04-10-2020

(04-10-2020, 08:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Where are you now and where was the degree from, which university?  Does your university have online education? Why not finish the degree there if they do?

(04-10-2020, 08:03 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Where are you now and where was the degree from, which university?  Does your university have online education? Why not finish the degree there if they do?
I’m in the US. 
It was in Dubai and can’t complete it since has to be on campus. That was years ago too.  Undecided 
Do you think the ENEB “Groupon“ is something you can get NACES evaluated to transfer or something?

RE: Walden - MBA fast & cheapest option for my situation? - Leslie2828 - 04-10-2020

https://www.tesu.edu/business/mba/

RE: Walden - MBA fast & cheapest option for my situation? - natshar - 04-10-2020

You could try Capella and see what happens, I've heard they are generous with transfer credit.

WGU while a good option for some, they do not accept transfer credit for grad programs so that is out.

RE: Walden - MBA fast & cheapest option for my situation? - Kjf1 - 04-10-2020

(04-10-2020, 08:38 PM)natshar Wrote: You could try Capella and see what happens, I've heard they are generous with transfer credit.

WGU while a good option for some, they do not accept transfer credit for grad programs so that is out.

But they want it evaluated first by NACES and I think they accept 4 classes/12cr

(04-10-2020, 08:11 PM)Kjf1 Wrote:

I’m in the US. 
It was in Dubai and can’t complete it since has to be on campus. That was years ago too.  Undecided 
Do you think the ENEB “Groupon“ is something you can get NACES evaluated to transfer or something?

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-MBA-and-MA-at-ENEB-for-just-under-300?page=16

Walden - MBA fast & cheapest option for my situation? - posabsolute - 04-11-2020

I would not take your chance with ENEB, we don’t know if it transfer to anything and generally you get what you pay for.

From what I understand you are looking for speed and cost, in this case WGU or Walden (tempo) are probably your best options even if you can’t transfer courses.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

RE: Walden - MBA fast & cheapest option for my situation? - Kjf1 - 04-11-2020

(04-11-2020, 06:21 AM)posabsolute Wrote: I would not take your chance with ENEB, we don’t know if it transfer to anything and generally you get what you pay for.

From what I understand you are looking for speed and cost, in this case WGU or Walden (tempo) are probably your best options even if you can’t transfer courses.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
I totally understand. However, Walden would cost me roughly 12k for the Fast-Track with 5 classes remaining VS the TEMPO with 8 classes remaining. I’m not sure how long it will take for me to complete the competency based type. 

WGU is not on my list though after careful deliberation.