Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
EC Business Degree Questions - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: EC Business Degree Questions (/Thread-EC-Business-Degree-Questions)

EC Business Degree Questions - bmills072200 - 03-14-2008

Okay, I am studying the EC handbook and I want to make sure that I am understanding everything correctly...

It looks like the "General Business" concentration does not require any "extra" degree requirements specific to the concentration and the rest of the concentrations require any where from 9 to 21 specific concentration credits, some which I assume cannot be tested out of...

Does that sound about right?

So other than the Business Strategy Class and Information Literacy requirement, everything else can be tested out of...

I was wanting to concentrate in Finance, but it looks like that concentration requires 15 extra credits and it looks like a few of those classes cannot be tested out of...Being that my goal is to move onto an MBA when I am done, does it make sense to choose a concentration, or should I just go with General Business?

Thanks for the help in advance...

EC Business Degree Questions - StealingDreams - 03-15-2008

Yep, that is about right. The specific concentration classes aren't really extra though (at least I don't think they increase the total over 121 credits) it just is that your "business electives" end up being all in that field and are not able to be tested out of for the most part. I did the same thing with Marketing but decided to go the GB route mostly becuase I didn't want to have to pay for all the classes and would rather test out.

I think if you are planning on an MBA skiping the concentration shouldn't hurt you. I think concentrations come more into effect when you are job hunting and a company is looking for a more specific degree to their feild. That won't matter so much when you have an MBA, IMHO.

EC Business Degree Questions - PatsGirl1 - 03-15-2008

StealingDreams Wrote:Yep, that is about right. The specific concentration classes aren't really extra though (at least I don't think they increase the total over 121 credits) it just is that your "business electives" end up being all in that field and are not able to be tested out of for the most part. I did the same thing with Marketing but decided to go the GB route mostly becuase I didn't want to have to pay for all the classes and would rather test out.

For the Accounting concentration (and I believe some of the other concentrations, as well) it requires 15 credits in the concentration as opposed to the 12 credits of GB and some of the other concentrations, so you end up with 124 credits for the degree. The Business Core (including Ethics and Org. beh.) ends up being 33 credits, and then you have either 12 or 15 for a concentration to bring the total to 45-48.
I was in the General Business program and then realized that the difference between the GB and an Accounting concentration was about $400 (for me) and having a specific concentration was worth that $. It'll take longer (IS classes take a bit longer than testing out), but it was worth it to me.

I think it mostly depends on your goals.