Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Best and Easiest Completion Options - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Best and Easiest Completion Options (/Thread-Best-and-Easiest-Completion-Options)

Pages: 1 2

Best and Easiest Completion Options - Ilianasmile - 04-22-2020

Hello,

Let me say first that I wish I knew about this earier! I was given these classes to take and wondered if anyone knew what the easiest route it. I am obtaining my business administration degree. Thanks in advance. I hear the TECEPs are hard, is there easier options for any of these?

TECEP https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php
ENC-102 English Composition II
BIO-208 The Science of Nutrition
BUS-311 Business in Society
OPM-301 Operations Management

DSST https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/dsst

Principles of Finance
Management Information Systems

CLEP https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/clep-college-level-exam-program
American Government

RE: Best and Easiest Completion Options - dfrecore - 04-23-2020

First, TESU will always tell you to take their courses/exams, because that's their thing - you paying them for credit.

You haven't said where specifically these courses go, and you didn't say what your AOS is (General Management?) so it's a bit hard to tell you. But I'll give you the list of Sophia courses that will work in different areas of the GE at TESU, because they're free right now - check your eval to see what you need. Business courses can be had at Study.com, and then you should be able to transfer them in and switch to the discounted price.

AREA A
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION: English Comp I & II
ORAL COMMUNICATION: Public Speaking
QUANTITATIVE LITERACY: College Algebra or Intro to Statistics

AREA B
DIVERSITY: Intro to Sociology OR Approaches to Studying Religions
ETHICAL LEADERSHIP: Intro to Ethics
CIVIC ENGAGEMENT: NOT AVAILABLE

AREA C
Art History I & II
Conflict Resolution
Visual Communications
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Macro & Microeconomics
US History I & II
Intro to Psychology

AREA D
Environmental Science
Human Biology
Intro to IT

GE ELECTIVES
The Essentials of Managing Conflict (1cr)
Any of the above courses not already used

FREE ELECTIVES
College Readiness
Intro to Business
Accounting (can also be used in Business Core)
Project Management (can also be used in Business AOS)
Developing Effective Teams (1cr) (can also be used in Business AOS)

RE: Best and Easiest Completion Options - bjcheung77 - 04-23-2020

With the current Coronavirus Pandemic situation, I would refrain from CLEP/DSST testing for now. Your best options are to use Sophia.org, StraighterLine (only if there Sophia.org doesn't offer the course), and Study.com (for the AOS Upper Level requirements). If you want to stick with one provider, select Study.com as it provides all the courses you're looking for, but to save on cost, get the Sophia.org courses while it's free and hot!

RE: Best and Easiest Completion Options - Library2HospitalChaplain - 04-23-2020

InstantCertCredit.com for American Government and the Civics requirement. If you pay for the "study guide" ($20/month subscription gets you the flashcards for studying for CLEP, DSST, UExcel, and some TECEP exams) for InstantCert, you can take some specific courses through them.. 

I was studying for the CLEP exam before everything shut down. I switched to the ICC course and I just finished a couple of weeks ago. It was my last core class.

RE: Best and Easiest Completion Options - dfrecore - 04-23-2020

(04-23-2020, 08:06 AM)Library2HospitalChaplain Wrote: InstantCertCredit.com for American Government and the Civics requirement. If you pay for the "study guide" ($20/month subscription gets you the flashcards for studying for CLEP, DSST, UExcel, and some TECEP exams) for InstantCert, you can take some specific courses through them.. 

I was studying for the CLEP exam before everything shut down. I switched to the ICC course and I just finished a couple of weeks ago. It was my last core class.

Study.com gets you a discount on your tuition at TESU, ICC does not.  So that would be the main benefit of using them over ICC.

(04-23-2020, 12:59 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-23-2020, 08:06 AM)Library2HospitalChaplain Wrote: InstantCertCredit.com for American Government and the Civics requirement. If you pay for the "study guide" ($20/month subscription gets you the flashcards for studying for CLEP, DSST, UExcel, and some TECEP exams) for InstantCert, you can take some specific courses through them.. 

Study.com gets you a discount on your tuition at TESU, ICC does not.  So that would be the main benefit of using them over ICC.

True, but I thought you had to have taken the Study.com courses before applying to TESU, and enter the code on the application. 

It looked like OP had already applied and possibly enrolled in TESU, so pre-application tuition discount wouldn't work, like my situation.

Or can I still get the discount if I take 6 study.com credits before signing up for my next TESU courses? :-) I am heading for the residency requirement, I have 7 credits either finished or taking now, and still LIB Capstone, Change Management, and something else to complete towards certificates alongside degrees.

RE: Best and Easiest Completion Options - natshar - 04-23-2020

Remember tceps dont count for residency

(04-23-2020, 03:24 PM)natshar Wrote: Remember tceps dont count for residency

I know. :-) That's why I put TESU classes in a different line than my TECEPs. I have an AS in Management with TE from 95, and then I went towards library and information science for a while via Northampton Community College and University of Maine at Augusta.

Plan is LIB Capstone GS if I can, Change Management MAN-415-OL, and either Eastern Religions REL-406-GS or Biomedical Ethics PHI-475-OL.

TECEPs still planned: ENV-210-TE, MAN-373-TE (probably Davar now), NEG-401-TE. 

Here's my relevant signature lines, in case you can't see them on mobile.

TESU: SOS-110-OL NOV2019 3 cr. A-99, APS-100-OL MAR2020 1 cr, PSY-331-EP APR2020 3 cr
TECEPs: PSY-270 2/3/20 92%,  SOC-210 2/10/20 88%, PSY-350 2/17/20 75%

I'm going to add these from my evaluation too.
Prior Degrees:       Date:                Institution:
Associate in Arts      08/31/09         Northampton County Area CC 

AS in Management   07/01/95        Thomas Edison State Univ

RE: Best and Easiest Completion Options - Ilianasmile - 04-30-2020

(04-22-2020, 11:39 PM)Ilianasmile Wrote: Hello,

Let me say first that I wish I knew about this earier! I was given these classes to take and wondered if anyone knew what the easiest route it. I am obtaining my business administration degree. Thanks in advance. I hear the TECEPs are hard, is there easier options for any of these?

TECEP https://www2.tesu.edu/listalltecep.php
ENC-102 English Composition II
BIO-208 The Science of Nutrition
BUS-311 Business in Society
OPM-301 Operations Management

DSST https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/dsst

Principles of Finance
Management Information Systems

CLEP https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/clep-college-level-exam-program
American Government

Hello, 

Here is what I need, 

English 102
Civic Engagement
1 credit in Natural World 
Statistics
Principals of Finance
12 credits for Operations Management - The advisor forgot to give me those and told me these were the only 2 available Logistics and Supply Chain and Management Information Systems, Operations Management
Business in Society Clep

RE: Best and Easiest Completion Options - dfrecore - 04-30-2020

(04-30-2020, 12:37 AM)Ilianasmile Wrote: Hello, 

Here is what I need, 

English 102 - take this through Sophia as it's free right now
Civic Engagement - ICC is only $20+$15 proctor fee; Saylor has POLSC221: Intro to Comparative Politics for $25 proctor fee; SL or Study.com
1 credit in Natural World - I'd take Sophia's Intro to IT, I think it will work and it's free; Study.com has easy computers ones that will work as well
Statistics - Sophia, free
Principles of Finance - Saylor (UL); Study.com or Coopersmith
12 credits for Operations Management - The advisor forgot to give me those and told me these were the only 2 available Logistics and Supply Chain and Management Information Systems, Operations Management - Study.com has BUS 315: Logistics and Supply Chain Management, BUS 312: Advanced Operations Management and BUS 303: Management Info Systems; Davar has MIS; I would ask if Stats will work for OpsManagement, it works for the undergrad certificate (you'd probably have to take Business Stats from Study.com or ALEKS since Stats is required for the GE)
Business in Society Clep - take International Business through Study.com, Coopersmith, or Davar