Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU calculus I help - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU calculus I help (/Thread-TESU-calculus-I-help)

Pages: 1 2 3

TESU calculus I help - maxxor6868 - 05-04-2020

Okay for my computer science degree at tesu I have officially finished the introduction to programming from study.com. The only require classes missing are sos 110, capstone, and calculus I. I plan on taking the calculus clep but the test centers are closed and when I ask them more than likely will stay closed until sometime in June which puts me in a tough spot as I plan on enrolling by the end of May and enrolling in my classes in June. I know I can send the credit anytime but I would like to finish it off now while my job is closed and I have the free time to knock out classes. I can not use study.com anymore as I have maxed out my tests for the month and do not want to pay $200 for another month. Sadly Sophia or onlinedegree.com do not offer calculus so that leaves I assume: Taylor, StraighterLine, and ASU. 

I like the cost of saylor $25 exam but I have a lot of negative things about their exams. 
Straighterline seems good but the cost of the course seems to be the most expensive: $170 for the class minus the typical $50 coupon is still $120 and only one month to finish the class
ASU is new but overall I kinda like what they are offering. $99 self-pace calculus class where it comes from a 4-year institution and is free upfront. So from my understanding, i can enroll in the class and study as much as I want, and technically if the test centers open up just take the calculus clep instead. Then if they do not open up in time, I can still convert the class to credit for only $99 which is still cheaper than StraighterLine. Any thoughts? Also, is the asu calculus for engineers the right class to transfer if needed for tesu calculus I?

RE: TESU calculus I help - dfrecore - 05-04-2020

(05-04-2020, 03:07 PM)maxxor6868 Wrote: I like the cost of saylor $25 exam but I have a lot of negative things about their exams. 
Straighterline seems good but the cost of the course seems to be the most expensive: $170 for the class minus the typical $50 coupon is still $120 and only one month to finish the class
ASU is new but overall I kinda like what they are offering. $99 self-pace calculus class where it comes from a 4-year institution and is free upfront. So from my understanding, i can enroll in the class and study as much as I want, and technically if the test centers open up just take the calculus clep instead. Then if they do not open up in time, I can still convert the class to credit for only $99 which is still cheaper than StraighterLine. Any thoughts? Also, is the asu calculus for engineers the right class to transfer if needed for tesu calculus I?

I would do ASU.  Not sure which one, maybe do both and pay for the Calc for Engineers only if you do both, or Brief Calc if you can only complete that one.  My guess is that TESU will give you calc credit for it, but nobody has reported here what TESU brings them in as.

RE: TESU calculus I help - natshar - 05-04-2020

I second ASU I've heard that SL calc is a mess from people on this board. If you know claclus really well I see nothing wrong with trying saylor. Maybe try the practice final (its free and non proctored) and if you do well try the final. If you don't pass you are only out $25 so not a huge loss. Also saylor for you don't have to do all the material to take the final. So you know clac you could this done today even.

But I agree ASU would be the best way to go.

Brief Calc would be eaiser than Calc for engineers I assume.

Since you want to get going asap I'd email tesu today and see how both calcs come in. I'd also sign up for asu as it takes a few days to get approved to take courses.

Then you'd ready to start clac in a few days.

(05-04-2020, 03:26 PM)natshar Wrote: I second ASU I've heard that SL calc is a mess from people on this board. If you know claclus really well I see nothing wrong with trying saylor. Maybe try the practice final (its free and non proctored) and if you do well try the final. If you don't pass you are only out $25 so not a huge loss. Also saylor for you don't have to do all the material to take the final. So you know clac you could this done today even.

Since you want to get going asap I'd email tesu today and see how both calcs come in. I'd also sign up for asu as it takes a few days to get approved to take courses.

Brief Calc requires College Algebra as a pre-req, while Calc for Engineers requires Precalc.

(05-04-2020, 03:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 03:26 PM)natshar Wrote: I second ASU I've heard that SL calc is a mess from people on this board. If you know claclus really well I see nothing wrong with trying saylor. Maybe try the practice final (its free and non proctored) and if you do well try the final. If you don't pass you are only out $25 so not a huge loss. Also saylor for you don't have to do all the material to take the final. So you know clac you could this done today even.

Brief Calc requires College Algebra as a pre-req, while Calc for Engineers requires Precalc.
Good to know so if I ever want to take calc then brief calc is the way to go.

Also did you ever figure out the other computer science UL or are you going with TESU for that?

RE: TESU calculus I help - maxxor6868 - 05-04-2020

(05-04-2020, 03:34 PM)natshar Wrote:

Also did you ever figure out the other computer science UL or are you going with TESU for that?

I decide I will take the ai course from test along with my social psychology and capstone and cornerstone. Its part of my 16 credit to avoid the residency fee kill 2 birds in one stone. The issue for me is if business calc will be enough for calc I requirements.

(05-04-2020, 04:16 PM)maxxor6868 Wrote:
(05-04-2020, 03:34 PM)natshar Wrote:

I decide I will take the ai course from test along with my social psychology and capstone and cornerstone. Its part of my 16 credit to avoid the residency fee kill 2 birds in one stone. The issue for me is if business calc will be enough for calc I requirements.
If you need pre calc you do it through ASU as well or AlEKs which is free right now. Also it is EA so idk strict they are about the requirements and if they are suggestions. They accept anyone and you dont need prior transcripts so maybe the requirements arent set in stone. Idk though.

Also like I said you have nothing to loose by trying saylor since you pay don't pay until you do the final aways. Try the non proctored practice final and see how you do.

I think TESU will take any Calc course as MAT-231, they don't seem too picky about that.

RE: TESU calculus I help - rachel83az - 05-04-2020

(05-04-2020, 04:29 PM)natshar Wrote: If you need pre calc you do it through ASU as well or AlEKs which is free right now. Also it is EA so idk strict they are about the requirements and if they are suggestions. They accept anyone and you dont need prior transcripts so maybe the requirements arent set in stone. Idk though.

Also like I said you have nothing to loose by trying saylor since you pay don't pay until you do the final aways. Try the non proctored practice final and see how you do.

ALEKS is no longer free right now. But it is only $20 for the month, which is still a good price.

RE: TESU calculus I help - maxxor6868 - 05-04-2020

(05-04-2020, 04:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think TESU will take any Calc course as MAT-231, they don't seem too picky about that.

even calc for business? The description is: Topics covered in this course include limits and derivatives of algebraic, logarithmic, and exponential functions; the definite integral; analysis of graphs; optimization; applications of the derivative; and more. 

Tesu: An intensive, higher-level course in mathematics that helps students become efficient and creative problem solvers. Topics include the Cartesian plane, limits and continuity, problems of tangents, velocity and instantaneous rates of change, rules for differentiation, implicit differentiation, maxima and minima theory, antiderivatives and the indefinite integral, exponential and logarithmic functions, and the area between curves.

I mean it sounds like the business course is easier than the engineering course and I rather take that one if I can as I just need calc I for my tesu requirements.