Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? (/Thread-SL-or-DAVAR-for-some-Business-courses)

Pages: 1 2

SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? - Edriveless - 05-23-2020

Not so much about the pricing at this point although it would help.

I need 1 UL and a couple of LL.

What’s easier and quicker if time is critical to accomplish if your make of someone who wants to knockout classes quickly 

I also heard somewhere how  SL as long as you do well on the class you don’t need to worry about scoring high on the final. I don’t know if that applies to these ones below.

I need these:

Managerial Communication  (SL or Davar)
Principles of Management (SL or Davar)

Corporate Finance (Davar only) 

Principles of Sales (Davar only) Or Foundation of Marketing (through ICC only)?? Which one of these two? 

Thanks.

RE: SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? - ss20ts - 05-23-2020

Are you looking for UL credit? I ask because my management course transferred to EC as a lower level and that wasn't an issue. i still need x number of UL credits and that is my struggle. Most of my business classes were done years go at a community college.

SDC is another option especially if you need UL credits. They have a Principles of Management and a Business Communication course.

The other thing to think about is where will you be earning your degree from and how many credit you can transfer in. Depending on your school, they may not accept these courses. You may have a transfer credit limit to worry about.

RE: SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? - Ideas - 05-23-2020

Personally I'd do Davar if I were looking for speed. I do think it's more challenging. (Also it is only NCCRS and not ACE.)

RE: SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? - Edriveless - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020, 10:14 PM)Ideas Wrote: Personally I'd do Davar if I were looking for speed. I do think it's more challenging. (Also it is only NCCRS and not ACE.)

Is it true with SL you do well through the class the final exam won’t be as important scoring high?

RE: SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? - Ideas - 05-24-2020

Yes. Now that I think about it more, SL might be quicker for some people.

RE: SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? - lacussucceed - 05-24-2020

(05-23-2020, 11:03 PM)Edriveless Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 10:14 PM)Ideas Wrote: Personally I'd do Davar if I were looking for speed. I do think it's more challenging. (Also it is only NCCRS and not ACE.)

Is it true with SL you do well through the class the final exam won’t be as important scoring high?

Most non final exams add up to 700/1000, with a final worth 300/1000. If you ace every other test you can pass w/ a 0 on the final.

RE: SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? - Clepper43 - 05-28-2020

Curious about the format of the upper level Davar courses? Are there papers?

How "fast" can you finish them? (I know, it depends on the person, but just give me your impressions....)

Thanks!

RE: SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? - ctcarl - 05-29-2020

(05-28-2020, 02:25 PM)Clepper43 Wrote: Curious about the format of the upper level Davar courses? Are there papers?

How "fast" can you finish them? (I know, it depends on the person, but just give me your impressions....)

Thanks!
Can't speak to all of them, but the Davar courses I took had no papers.  Check the syllabi you're interested in to be sure.

You get a targeted study guide and a recommendation for an optional textbook.  I was able to find most of the books at a reasonable cost on Amazon or eBay.

The courses are self-paced.  You can take the exam as soon as you're ready.  I liked to do a complete read-through of the book, and then spend a couple of days on the study guide.

RE: SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? - Leslie2828 - 05-31-2020

(05-29-2020, 02:42 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(05-28-2020, 02:25 PM)Clepper43 Wrote: Curious about the format of the upper level Davar courses? Are there papers?

Thanks!
Can't speak to all of them, but the Davar courses I took had no papers.  Check the syllabi you're interested in to be sure.

You get a targeted study guide and a recommendation for an optional textbook.  I was able to find most of the books at a reasonable cost on Amazon or eBay.

The courses are self-paced.  You can take the exam as soon as you're ready.  I liked to do a complete read-through of the book, and then spend a couple of days on the study guide.
The book are thick though. The entire 1000 page must be read before you pass the test? Oh my I’m not a bookworm ... This will make me nervous

RE: SL or DAVAR for some Business courses? - Leslie2828 - 05-31-2020

(05-29-2020, 02:42 PM)ctcarl Wrote:

Thanks!

The book are thick though. The entire 1000 page must be read before you pass the test? Oh my I’m not a bookworm ... This will make me nervous