Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General "Big 3", B&M colleges, and other colleges (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Big-3-B-M-colleges-and-other-colleges)
+--- Thread: Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. (/Thread-Nationally-Accreddited-Regionally-Accreddited-and-Employment)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. - xicovu - 06-19-2020

I've settled into a custom degree program mixing Ashworth & Penn Foster that I'm pretty satisfied with. Low-pressure proctor, moving through content pretty rapidly.

One question I have, mostly to reassure myself is that most employers don't bother to differentiate RA & NA, and won't be able to tell the difference between something like American Public University and Ashworth College or Excelsior just glancing at a resume?

My employer does not care and I worked for a high-up part of Dell Technologies (the computers) that had tons of Phoenix, Devry, Everest College, etc grads that they all payed for. I'm trying to way the pros and cons of finishing a whole bachelor's at Ashworth in a cheap low stress way or rolling it into something like APU's momentum and increasing cost. Thoughts?

I have a crippling fear of tests so WGU is really out of the questions for me. Rational or not.

RE: Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. - scorpion - 06-20-2020

Unless the university is particularly well-regarded or poorly-regarded, I don't think hiring managers usually care much about your school name. If it will pass an automated background check to verify your credential, everything else is up to discretion.

For most purposes in life where I could've used a degree, from immigration, job progression, graduate school, etc., the RA requirement was assumed if not outright required. I would think very carefully about what you will gain in expedience by taking a NA credential instead.

RE: Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. - videogamesrock - 06-20-2020

Unless your goal is to go into the dying, PhD over-saturated, low paying teaching jobs as an adjunct professor at a community college--then NA/RA does not matter. Go on Indeed and search "regionally accredited", it's almost all university jobs.

RE: Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. - freeloader - 06-20-2020

I would say the tot her place where RA matters is when you are wanting to be in a profession where you work in a “firm”—law, accounting, engineering, and architecture come to mind. If you pass the CPA exam or the Bar, etc., from a technical point it doesn’t matter where you went to school, a lawyer is a lawyer, a CPA is a CPA. The partners who run these firms, however, often very consciously market and position their organizations in specific ways. I work with accounting firms and different firms will have different standards, but (at least around me) they all hire the same “type” of degrees. A couple of firms only hire the top grads from our local flagship state universities plus people with fancy “name brand” diplomas (Ivy/Duke/UVA/Stanford type degrees). There is one where every person who isn’t an entry level person has a master in accounting or an MBA. There are a number that only hire people from mid-tier universities in about a 3-hour radius. If you don’t want to teach at the college level or enter one of these “firm” type professions, it doesn’t seem to matter. I work with, but not for accounting firms. The people that work with me are definitely a mixed bag from a degree standpoint...

RE: Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. - LevelUP - 06-20-2020

Nationally Accredited you could run into problems:
- Transferring credits to RA school, applying to grad school
- Getting licensed in states
- Getting certain govt. jobs
- Getting financial aid
- Working overseas

No reason to go to a nationally accredited school so I would avoid it.

RE: Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. - ss20ts - 06-20-2020

If you ever want to go to grad school, a NA degree may be an issue. A RA degree won't be an issue. Grad schools can be very picky.

Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. - videogamesrock - 06-20-2020

AMU will accept

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

RE: Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. - Cofffeee - 06-21-2020

(06-20-2020, 07:37 PM)freeloader Wrote: I would say the tot her place where RA matters is when you are wanting to be in a profession where you work in a “firm”—law, accounting, engineering, and architecture come to mind. If you pass the CPA exam or the Bar, etc., from a technical point it doesn’t matter where you went to school, a lawyer is a lawyer, a CPA is a CPA. The partners who run these firms, however, often very consciously market and position their organizations in specific ways. I work with accounting firms and different firms will have different standards, but (at least around me) they all hire the same “type” of degrees. A couple of firms only hire the top grads from our local flagship state universities plus people with fancy “name brand” diplomas (Ivy/Duke/UVA/Stanford type degrees). There is one where every person who isn’t an entry level person has a master in accounting or an MBA. There are a number that only hire people from mid-tier universities in about a 3-hour radius.  If you don’t want to teach at the college level or enter one of these “firm” type professions, it doesn’t seem to matter. I work with, but not for accounting firms. The people that work with me are definitely a mixed bag from a degree standpoint...
Many states dont count credits towards 150 hours from NA institutions. If you want your credits to count towards 150 hours required for CPA, it must be RA credits.

Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. - videogamesrock - 06-21-2020

(06-20-2020, 07:37 PM)freeloader Wrote: I would say the tot her place where RA matters is when you are wanting to be in a profession where you work in a “firm”—law, accounting, engineering, and architecture come to mind. If you pass the CPA exam or the Bar, etc., from a technical point it doesn’t matter where you went to school, a lawyer is a lawyer, a CPA is a CPA. The partners who run these firms, however, often very consciously market and position their organizations in specific ways. I work with accounting firms and different firms will have different standards, but (at least around me) they all hire the same “type” of degrees. A couple of firms only hire the top grads from our local flagship state universities plus people with fancy “name brand” diplomas (Ivy/Duke/UVA/Stanford type degrees). There is one where every person who isn’t an entry level person has a master in accounting or an MBA. There are a number that only hire people from mid-tier universities in about a 3-hour radius. If you don’t want to teach at the college level or enter one of these “firm” type professions, it doesn’t seem to matter. I work with, but not for accounting firms. The people that work with me are definitely a mixed bag from a degree standpoint...

We only hire people from here. Sounds like bigotry to me. I’m sure OP doesn’t want to work for bigots such as the ones you mention.

Sent from my typewriter.

(06-21-2020, 12:24 AM)Cofffeee Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 07:37 PM)freeloader Wrote: I would say the tot her place where RA matters is when you are wanting to be in a profession where you work in a “firm”—law, accounting, engineering, and architecture come to mind. If you pass the CPA exam or the Bar, etc., from a technical point it doesn’t matter where you went to school, a lawyer is a lawyer, a CPA is a CPA. The partners who run these firms, however, often very consciously market and position their organizations in specific ways. I work with accounting firms and different firms will have different standards, but (at least around me) they all hire the same “type” of degrees. A couple of firms only hire the top grads from our local flagship state universities plus people with fancy “name brand” diplomas (Ivy/Duke/UVA/Stanford type degrees). There is one where every person who isn’t an entry level person has a master in accounting or an MBA. There are a number that only hire people from mid-tier universities in about a 3-hour radius.  If you don’t want to teach at the college level or enter one of these “firm” type professions, it doesn’t seem to matter. I work with, but not for accounting firms. The people that work with me are definitely a mixed bag from a degree standpoint...
Many states dont count credits towards 150 hours from NA institutions. If you want your credits to count towards 150 hours required for CPA, it must be RA credits.

Very interesting, can you name a few states that won’t accept NA degrees for the CPA exam?

Sent from my typewriter.

RE: Nationally Accreddited, Regionally Accreddited, and Employment. - Cofffeee - 06-21-2020

(06-21-2020, 12:35 PM)videogamesrock Wrote:

We only hire people from here. Sounds like bigotry to me. I’m sure OP doesn’t want to work for bigots such as the ones you mention.  

Sent from my typewriter.

(06-21-2020, 12:24 AM)Cofffeee Wrote:

Very interesting, can you name a few states that won’t accept NA degrees for the CPA exam?

Sent from my typewriter.

Montana, New York. To have an idea, check states requirements for sitting for exam. Most of the states allow to use online courses from providers ( like study.com) as long as   "
  • Correspondence and online courses are acceptable when you receive credit for the courses at a regionally accredited university. These courses must appear on an official transcript."
    I thought its only for courses earned through providers,  but when i emailed to ask about Bachelor degree  earned at NA. The board replied saying the courses and degree must be from RA institutions