Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Cheap RA credits not so cheap... - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Cheap RA credits not so cheap... (/Thread-Cheap-RA-credits-not-so-cheap)

Pages: 1 2

Cheap RA credits not so cheap... - monchevy - 06-26-2020

So I just had a mindblowing exchange with someone at the College of Southern Nevada, which has been named here as a source of cheap credits. I found a couple of classes I needed, and the out-of-state tuition was $117.50. Woo-hoo! Sign me up!

Except the Tuition and Fees page told a different story. I figured I had to be misinterpreting it, so I emailed. Nope. It really is... $243.75 per credit.

These are the fees PER CREDIT (not per course):

Registration fee Lower Division $106.75
Technology fee $8.50
Student Union fee $9.00
Athletics & Rec fee $2.00
Non-Resident (part-time) Lower Division Tuition) $117.50

Yes, $731.25 per 3-credit course. Each credit incurs $126.25 in fees on top of tuition. I can't even wrap my mind around that. How do you charge a separate registration fee for each credit? Who runs this joint, Ticketmaster??

Anyway... that was my Moment of WTF today. 

Cheap RA credits not so cheap... - harrypotter - 06-26-2020

Holy cow, not including fees in tuition per credit hour is a huge pet peeve of mine. This is the craziest one I’ve ever seen. Yikes!

RE: Cheap RA credits not so cheap... - ss20ts - 06-26-2020

What kind of registration fee is that? That's ridiculous! Maybe it is run by Ticketmaster.

RE: Cheap RA credits not so cheap... - videogamesrock - 06-26-2020

(06-26-2020, 06:11 PM)monchevy Wrote: So I just had a mindblowing exchange with someone at the College of Southern Nevada, which has been named here as a source of cheap credits. I found a couple of classes I needed, and the out-of-state tuition was $117.50. Woo-hoo! Sign me up!

Except the Tuition and Fees page told a different story. I figured I had to be misinterpreting it, so I emailed. Nope. It really is... $243.75 per credit.

These are the fees PER CREDIT (not per course):

Registration fee Lower Division $106.75
Technology fee $8.50
Student Union fee $9.00
Athletics & Rec fee $2.00
Non-Resident (part-time) Lower Division Tuition) $117.50

Yes, $731.25 per 3-credit course. Each credit incurs $126.25 in fees on top of tuition. I can't even wrap my mind around that. How do you charge a separate registration fee for each credit? Who runs this joint, Ticketmaster??

Anyway... that was my Moment of WTF today. 

Wow so I graduated there, holy crap!  It used to be about $360 a course.  Not only do you get crappy customer service there, and waste months on the phone, they now charge what you'd expect at UNLV.

RE: Cheap RA credits not so cheap... - Johann - 06-26-2020

If you take it on-ground, on-campus parking would probably take it to $1,000 a course. Truly ridiculous, as you guys all say. If they're that money-hungry, they could at least be up-front about fees. In 24-point bold type - all caps! To me, this is the kind of sharp practice that drives people away from schools - not to them.

Cheap RA credits not so cheap... - videogamesrock - 06-26-2020

It’s mainly a 2 year college with like half a dozen BA degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

RE: Cheap RA credits not so cheap... - rachel83az - 06-27-2020

I can understand (though I don't like) a $20-40 per course technology fee at other colleges/universities. But those per-credit fees are absolutely ridiculous.

RE: Cheap RA credits not so cheap... - Ideas - 06-27-2020

I seem to recall many $50 per credit technology fees Sad

RE: Cheap RA credits not so cheap... - Johann - 06-27-2020

The first technology fees I saw around here (Canada) crept in during the late 90s. I was going to on-ground night school at the time - and what I couldn't understand was a technology fee attached to a Psych course, or other courses where we didn't even touch the school's computers.

Still can't understand it - and never got more than a bafflegab explanation.

RE: Cheap RA credits not so cheap... - ss20ts - 06-27-2020

(06-27-2020, 10:49 AM)Johann Wrote: The first technology fees I saw around here (Canada) crept in during the late 90s. I was going to on-ground night school at the time - and what I couldn't understand was a technology fee attached to a Psych course, or other courses where we didn't even touch the school's computers.

Still can't understand it - and never got more than a bafflegab explanation.

Basically it's a money grab.