Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
COSC "approved provider list" is a short one - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: COSC - Charter Oak State College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-COSC-Charter-Oak-State-College-Discussion)
+--- Thread: COSC "approved provider list" is a short one (/Thread-COSC-approved-provider-list-is-a-short-one)

COSC "approved provider list" is a short one - dfrecore - 07-04-2020

Updated list is here, not looking good for Davar or other NCCRS providers: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/current/ug_admission_policies_matriculation/accp_ug_credits_from_other_inst.php

Typically, students will be limited to a total of 90 degree-applicable credits for a Bachelors degree and 45 degree-applicable credits for an Associate degree, from non-regionally accredited course providers, even if an agreement is in place.

Note: Charter Oak currently has agreements with the following organizations:

StaighterLine
Study.com
Saylor
Sophia
CSM learn

Hopefully they will add some additional ones in the near future.  I'd think Davar would be on here, as well as Genesis University (NA but has NCCRS courses and COSC was previously listed as a partner).

RE: COSC "approved provider list" is a short one - NoStudentNoCry - 07-04-2020

(07-04-2020, 03:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: ... 45 degree-applicable credits for an Associate degree, from non-regionally accredited course providers, even if an agreement is in place.

bummer. It is now similar to BOG AAS.

RE: COSC "approved provider list" is a short one - Clepper43 - 07-05-2020

(07-04-2020, 03:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Updated list is here, not looking good for Davar or other NCCRS providers: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/current/ug_admission_policies_matriculation/accp_ug_credits_from_other_inst.php

Typically, students will be limited to a total of 90 degree-applicable credits for a Bachelors degree and 45 degree-applicable credits for an Associate degree, from non-regionally accredited course providers, even if an agreement is in place.

StaighterLine
Study.com
Saylor
Sophia
CSM learn

Hopefully they will add some additional ones in the near future.  I'd think Davar would be on here, as well as Genesis University (NA but has NCCRS courses and COSC was previously listed as a partner).
And I wonder if they will demote many Study courses to lower level...?

RE: COSC "approved provider list" is a short one - dfrecore - 07-05-2020

(07-05-2020, 12:09 PM)Clepper43 Wrote:
(07-04-2020, 03:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Updated list is here, not looking good for Davar or other NCCRS providers: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/current/ug_admission_policies_matriculation/accp_ug_credits_from_other_inst.php

StaighterLine
Study.com
Saylor
Sophia
CSM learn

And I wonder if they will demote many Study courses to lower level...?

There is a course equivalency list out there, so at least you'll know in advance.  And yes, lots of UL Study.com courses are considered LL by COSC.

RE: COSC "approved provider list" is a short one - Clepper43 - 07-13-2020

All of their "approved partner list" is lower level credit only - EXCEPT for the Study classes: 16 business courses, 4 marketing, 5 psychology, 3 history, 3 computer, 1 sociology, 1 healthcare, 1 hospitality, 1 finance on SDC. 

I guess you put all your eggs into the Study.com basket unless you go with other more expensive sources of UL credit like the BYU study etc.

And I guess at least we can be thankful for SDC as a partner - but keep your eye on those UL/LL designations.

Dodgy

RE: COSC "approved provider list" is a short one - LongRoad - 07-13-2020

Some years back I used to haunt this web site. My recollection is that some of the Big-3 accepted lower-level RA courses as upper level courses, but I'm not seeing any chatter about it.

Does anyone know about this? For instance, I'm taking a lower-level course through Purdue Global that is listed as an upper level course at COSC. Is there any way to figure out how it is likely to transfer BEFORE I apply to COSC? (There are also a couple of community college courses - obviously lower level - such as Small Business Mgmt. - that looks like it would come in as an upper level course.)

Thanks.

RE: COSC "approved provider list" is a short one - rachel83az - 07-13-2020

Unfortunately, Charter Oak doesn't provide information to either Transferology or CollegeTransfer.net so you're probably out of luck unless you can get a straight answer from an advisor.

RE: COSC "approved provider list" is a short one - Merlin - 07-14-2020

(07-13-2020, 11:41 AM)LongRoad Wrote: Some years back I used to haunt this web site. My recollection is that some of the Big-3 accepted lower-level RA courses as upper level courses, but I'm not seeing any chatter about it.

Does anyone know about this? For instance, I'm taking a lower-level course through Purdue Global that is listed as an upper level course at COSC. Is there any way to figure out how it is likely to transfer BEFORE I apply to COSC? (There are also a couple of community college courses - obviously lower level - such as Small Business Mgmt. - that looks like it would come in as an upper level course.)

Thanks.

Yes, that used to be the case. Some of them would also take lower-level ACE credit to meet upper-level degree requirements. It used to be that they would match a transcripted course to the nearest course they had in their course catalog. So if they didn't have a lower division version of a course, they'd map your incoming course to their upper-division version. However, that doesn't happen much anymore. They all tend to follow the ACE recommendations for credit. There may be a few exceptions with accepting RA credits, but it depends more on how closely the course curriculum matches.

Schools are not afraid to map courses to X99 courses if there are no close matches. They may even drop an incoming upper-division course to a lower-division based on the makeup of the course (though TESU says they won't do this for RA courses).