Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate (/Thread-Stanford-Medical-Statistics-Certificate)

Pages: 1 2

Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate - bjcheung77 - 07-12-2020

This Stanford program caught my eye, it's geared for individuals working within data science or statistics fields.
Tuition is a very affordable $299 for 365 days of access and an extra $75 one time document fee.
There are only 3 courses to take, it's cheaper and you get more time doing the $299 vs $129 per course option.

It is probably one of a very few that are offered so cheaply at Stanford compared to their other grad certs.
That is most likely because this certificate only grants 2 CEU's and can't be laddered into a grad degree/diploma.
Link: https://online.stanford.edu/programs/stanford-medical-statistics-certificate

Note: I wonder if this cert will get you Alumni Status and also an email address from Stanford?  
I think it will be well worth it if it does!  I wouldn't mind paying just to have a non expiring email/alumni status.

RE: Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate - ThatBankDude - 07-12-2020

(07-12-2020, 12:21 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: This Stanford program caught my eye, it's geared for individuals working within data science or statistics fields.
Tuition is a very affordable $299 for 365 days of access and an extra $75 one time document fee.
There are only 3 courses to take, it's cheaper and you get more time doing the $299 vs $129 per course option.

It is probably one of a very few that are offered so cheaply at Stanford compared to their other grad certs.
That is most likely because this certificate only grants 2 CEU's and can't be laddered into a grad degree/diploma.
Link: https://online.stanford.edu/programs/stanford-medical-statistics-certificate

Note: I wonder if this cert will get you Alumni Status and also an email address from Stanford?  
I think it will be well worth it if it does!  I wouldn't mind paying just to have a non expiring email/alumni status.

People underestimate the email. I have one with Duke University and it is pretty legit.

RE: Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate - Sparklette - 07-12-2020

(07-12-2020, 12:21 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: This Stanford program caught my eye, it's geared for individuals working within data science or statistics fields.

This cert has been on my list for quite some time. Hoping to have an income again soon so I can get it started

RE: Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate - rachel83az - 07-12-2020

I'm not sure that I want to go into medical statistics, but that's a good find. I might well go for it in the future.

RE: Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate - Kab - 07-13-2020

(07-12-2020, 07:00 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm not sure that I want to go into medical statistics, but that's a good find. I might well go for it in the future.

To go into a PhD in an healthcare field?

To understand journal articles or write them?

RE: Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate - rachel83az - 07-14-2020

I want to go into data science. If that means working in the medical field (though away from patients), then I'll wind up doing that.

RE: Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate - Sparklette - 07-15-2020

(07-14-2020, 03:41 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I want to go into data science. If that means working in the medical field (though away from patients), then I'll wind up doing that.
Have you looked into becoming an actuary? If you can self fund the first 2-3 exams, many hospital systems or insurance companies will pay for the rest. It's not the sexiest of data science areas, but it is the most established. I've looked into it, but my biggest bugbear in the process is having to repeat courses I've taken to meet the verified education component. There are some programs where you can essentially go to a bootcamp style session and knock several of those requirements out in a week and get the others via CLEP, but all of that is out the window this year.

RE: Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate - rachel83az - 07-15-2020

(07-15-2020, 03:17 PM)Sparklette Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 03:41 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I want to go into data science. If that means working in the medical field (though away from patients), then I'll wind up doing that.
Have you looked into becoming an actuary? If you can self fund the first 2-3 exams, many hospital systems or insurance companies will pay for the rest. It's not the sexiest of data science areas, but it is the most established. I've looked into it, but my biggest bugbear in the process is having to repeat courses I've taken to meet the verified education component. There are some programs where you can essentially go to a bootcamp style session and knock several of those requirements out in a week and get the others via CLEP, but all of that is out the window this year.

I'm in Europe and I don't even know if that's a thing here. I would suspect not. It's going to be at least a year before I finish my degree(s) and start looking for work, so I've got time to look into things.

RE: Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate - Sparklette - 07-16-2020

(07-15-2020, 03:29 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 03:17 PM)Sparklette Wrote:

I'm in Europe and I don't even know if that's a thing here. I would suspect not. It's going to be at least a year before I finish my degree(s) and start looking for work, so I've got time to look into things.
If what is a thing? There are actuary associations in EU,  so I would suspect also actuaries. It generally requires several years of preparation before starting the process to become one, though. And several more years to complete. So it's not really a career most folk would just stumble into.

RE: Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate - rachel83az - 07-16-2020

(07-16-2020, 12:08 AM)Sparklette Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 03:29 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 03:17 PM)Sparklette Wrote: Have you looked into becoming an actuary? If you can self fund the first 2-3 exams, many hospital systems or insurance companies will pay for the rest. It's not the sexiest of data science areas, but it is the most established. I've looked into it, but my biggest bugbear in the process is having to repeat courses I've taken to meet the verified education component. There are some programs where you can essentially go to a bootcamp style session and knock several of those requirements out in a week and get the others via CLEP, but all of that is out the window this year.

If what is a thing? There are actuary associations in EU,  so I would suspect also actuaries. It generally requires several years of preparation before starting the process to become one, though. And several more years to complete. So it's not really a career most folk would just stumble into.
Employer-sponsored education. Schooling is already pretty cheap, if you're a resident, and (at least in the country where I want to get a job), I think you're generally supposed to have all schooling done before you get a job in the first place. I could be mistaken about the industry, but when you need the equivalent of a professional certificate to even be considered for a lot of "retail"-type jobs then I'd expect that they'd want me to have all relevant qualifications before they'd hire me as an actuary. Schooling can be vastly more important than your experience, though I recognize that it's not something universal throughout the EU.