Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Applying to a "Big Three" Bachelor's with a DEAC Master's degree - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Applying to a "Big Three" Bachelor's with a DEAC Master's degree (/Thread-Applying-to-a-Big-Three-Bachelor-s-with-a-DEAC-Master-s-degree)

Pages: 1 2

Applying to a "Big Three" Bachelor's with a DEAC Master's degree - openair - 07-14-2020

In the not-so-distant future, I am planning to apply to one of the "Big Three" Bachelor's degree programs in Liberal Arts. I reside in Europe. Here's my question: Are there any advantages to applying to one of these Bachelor's programs with a (soon to be achieved) Master's degree from a nationally accredited (DEAC) institution? Would I actually be better off applying with my foreign Bachelor's degree after a U.S. evaluation that provides a regional degree equivalency? Does the fact that you hold any of these prior degrees provide any type of advantages in terms of reducing the general requirements for the Bachelor's/capstone exemptions, etc? I don't mean the individual course transfers, but the general work that must be done to obtain the degree, if this isn't your first degree. Lastly, are you obliged to present all your prior degrees upon admission, or just your highest achieved degree?

RE: Applying to a "Big Three" Bachelor's with a DEAC Master's degree - bjcheung77 - 07-14-2020

When applying to any of the Big 3, they require all transcripts. Apply as you would and send everything to them, even though these schools aren't "Ivy League" nor are they competitive, they still require all your transcripts. There is no use in hiding the truth, honesty is the best policy. Send everything, there is no downside at all... there are no exemptions to the Capstone, but you won't need to do the Cornerstone at TESU.

If you hold a Bachelors from a foreign country, they can see what requirements are needed after the evaluation, you will need at least 24 credits within the new area of study, and the general education/free electives are waived. Other than that, if your Masters degree is from a DEAC institution that participates in the National Student Clearing House, the Big 3 will already know you're attending or attended the school.

RE: Applying to a "Big Three" Bachelor's with a DEAC Master's degree - openair - 07-14-2020

Thanks for the advice! Smile

RE: Applying to a "Big Three" Bachelor's with a DEAC Master's degree - rachel83az - 07-14-2020

I am curious why you'd get a Liberal Arts degree if you already have a bachelor's and a master's? Is it just to be able to say that you have a degree from the US? Liberal Arts is generally for people who need to have a bachelor's in something, anything, and the degree allows you to meet that requirement. If you're hoping for US employment, I would think a better option would be to get your foreign degree evaluated so that employers can understand what it is.

RE: Applying to a "Big Three" Bachelor's with a DEAC Master's degree - openair - 07-14-2020

That's a good question. I did not make that very clear. So, I only have theological degrees. The undergraduate one comes from a provincially-recognized Bible College in Canada. The new theological Master's degree will be from a DEAC-accredited Christian university. I wanted to get a secular American degree in addition to all that. I am also working on another Master's degree in Journalism (part-time, not online) here in Europe. I've collected a large number of extra ACE-reviewed credit and I would like to make some kind of use of that. I just though that the alt-credit degree might be a sensible option, although I am open to other things.

RE: Applying to a "Big Three" Bachelor's with a DEAC Master's degree - SteveFoerster - 07-14-2020

(07-14-2020, 10:54 AM)openair Wrote: That's a good question. I did not make that very clear. So, I only have theological degrees. The undergraduate one comes from a provincially-recognized Bible College in Canada. The new theological Master's degree will be from a DEAC-accredited Christian university. I wanted to get a secular American degree in addition to all that. I am also working on another Master's degree in Journalism (part-time, not online) here in Europe. I've collected a large number of extra ACE-reviewed credit and I would like to make some kind of use of that. I just though that the alt-credit degree might be a sensible option, although I am open to other things.

Was your undergrad from an AUCC member? If not, I'm actually unsure whether either existing degree will do you any good. (Which would be a shame, really, since they're both legit.)

(07-14-2020, 11:04 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 10:54 AM)openair Wrote: That's a good question. I did not make that very clear. So, I only have theological degrees. The undergraduate one comes from a provincially-recognized Bible College in Canada. The new theological Master's degree will be from a DEAC-accredited Christian university. I wanted to get a secular American degree in addition to all that. I am also working on another Master's degree in Journalism (part-time, not online) here in Europe. I've collected a large number of extra ACE-reviewed credit and I would like to make some kind of use of that. I just though that the alt-credit degree might be a sensible option, although I am open to other things.

Was your undergrad from an AUCC member? If not, I'm actually unsure whether either existing degree will do you any good. (Which would be a shame, really, since they're both legit.)

No, it's actually from one of the provincial theological colleges (not an AUCC university). Are you saying that it might be best to obtain the European state Master's first before applying to a regionally accredited American college, as I might face problems with admission? Maybe I am just going to apply with my Canadian Secondary School Diploma. ;-)

RE: Applying to a "Big Three" Bachelor's with a DEAC Master's degree - SteveFoerster - 07-14-2020

No, the good news is that any of the Big Three will admit you. I'm just worried that the bad news may be that you won't be exempt from anything.

Good to know.

RE: Applying to a "Big Three" Bachelor's with a DEAC Master's degree - rachel83az - 07-14-2020

Oh, that's a very good reason! Might I suggest Psychology rather than BALS? I think that one would fit well with your theological degrees and would be "worth more" in the job market.