Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Adding a cheap and easy math AS - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Adding a cheap and easy math AS (/Thread-Adding-a-cheap-and-easy-math-AS)

Adding a cheap and easy math AS - jch - 07-14-2020

Hi everyone, 
I believe that I have found a quite inexpensive and simple way to add a math associates degree to many bachelors degree plans at TESU. The ASNSM in Mathematics just requires Calculus I (which is needed for some BS anyway), three math gen ed credits, plus 13 additional math elective credits, (19 total math credits) all on top of the standard gen ed platform. There is NO capstone for the ASNSM listed! Unlike some of the other AS programs, the ASNSM doesn't seem to explicitly require physics. 

Now, how can you get those math electives? Pick up the lower level math credits on your way to Calculus! I think that this degree can be earned without any crazy high level math. 
There's a General Mathematics CLEP (basically arithmetic and pre-algebra). TESU accepts this for six credits of introductory math classes! If you're already familiar with algebra, general math looks like a breeze. 
Then, take the college algebra and precalc CLEPs for three credits each. Now you're at twelve math credits. These could also be done elsewhere - I'm taking the ASU courses while they're cheap. 
Next is calculus. This is where I'm a bit confused. The ASNSM requires three credits of calc, but most classes and exams I've seen for calculus I or equivalents are listed as four credits. What happens to the extra credit - does it get applied to the math electives? Assuming all four credits do count, that's now 16 math credits. 
Three more math credits need to be found somewhere. There are several other introductory or intermediate math credits available from various sources that look as if they should apply here and not duplicate one of the items above. 

For these CLEPs, modern states should be available for their free prep and voucher, minimizing cost. 

Is there anything I'm missing here? I'm assuming that any non-duplicate credits from the math department should apply toward this degree, correct?
Do statistics classes under STA-XXX count toward the math requirements? (I don't think so)

If this works, I'll be doing the ASNSM along with BSBA/CIS or BS in cybersecurity. I'll post updates on progress. 

From what I have read, graduation from TESU costs the same regardless of how many degrees and AOS you graduate with. Additionally, the credit residency/waiver should apply per-graduation. Thus, it seems potentially advantageous to look for any additional degrees in other fields to add to your graduation.

RE: Adding a cheap and easy math AS - rachel83az - 07-14-2020

Math, computer science, and business administration are the only associate degrees that have no capstone. So it does make them super easy to pick up. I think CSM learn would be a relatively inexpensive way to add math credits to put towards that degree. You need a total of 21 math credits.

CSM Learn - fills quantitative literacy
Algebra at Sophia - fills math in section E
Brief Calculus from ASU - comes in as Calculus I

Now time for the electives:
Precalculus at ASU
Discrete math - SDC
Geometry - SDC
Statistics at Sophia (should count as math)
Calculus II from Straighterline or a math from Coopersmith.

Oh, I forgot about ALEKS. https://www.aleks.com/about_aleks/ace_credit

RE: Adding a cheap and easy math AS - ss20ts - 07-14-2020

For most people Calc I would not be a breeze. I see people daily struggling with algebra and statistics. Also Sophia offers College Algebra and Introduction to Statistics which is currently free. StraighterLine and Study/com also offer these courses which are far easier than calculus. I've never been interested in a bachelor's degree that required calc. If a degree requires calc, me and half the country out looking elsewhere. The degree I'll complete in February only required college algebra and I'm graduating with a business degree.

RE: Adding a cheap and easy math AS - jch - 07-14-2020

(07-14-2020, 05:12 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Math, computer science, and business administration are the only associate degrees that have no capstone. So it does make them super easy to pick up. I think CSM learn would be a relatively inexpensive way to add math credits to put towards that degree. You need a total of 21 math credits.

CSM Learn - fills quantitative literacy
Algebra at Sophia - fills math in section E
Brief Calculus from ASU - comes in as Calculus I

Now time for the electives:
Precalculus at ASU
Discrete math - SDC
Geometry - SDC
Statistics at Sophia (should count as math)
Calculus II from Straighterline or a math from Coopersmith.

Oh, I forgot about ALEKS. https://www.aleks.com/about_aleks/ace_credit

I'm currently approaching completion of Algebra at ASU EA. I like their self-paced ALEKS program and plan to continue with ASU for precalc and brief calc. Thanks to the TESU transfer guide, I know that both of the calculus courses offered on ASU EA would come in to TESU as calculus I, so I'll avoid the engineering focused one and stick with brief calc. 

If the general math CLEP applies toward this degree, I plan to take that sometime within the next month. There are two local technical colleges in my area that are currently open for testing. 

I do plan to do Stats on Sophia. I could also do algebra there in the event that something goes awry for me at ASU. I have pre-registered for all of the Sophia courses that I haven't already finished, with scheduled August start dates. 

I'm not really familiar with what CSM learn is but I've seen a few other recommendations here for it. 

I was under the impression that geometry often duplicated trigonometry/precalculus. Is this actually the case?

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I haven't looked at anything on study.com because ASU and Sophia have kept me busy so far, but that's one place I will search for additional targeted credits later on.

RE: Adding a cheap and easy math AS - rachel83az - 07-14-2020

Precalulus at ASU, Trigonometry at ALEKS, and Geometry at SDC all apparently come in as different classes so they don't duplicate.

RE: Adding a cheap and easy math AS - jch - 07-14-2020

(07-14-2020, 05:43 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Precalulus at ASU, Trigonometry at ALEKS, and Geometry at SDC all apparently come in as different classes so they don't duplicate.

This is a great tip if it works. I'll investigate this more.