Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Cornerstone and Capstone Together? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Cornerstone and Capstone Together? (/Thread-Cornerstone-and-Capstone-Together)

Cornerstone and Capstone Together? - Tlm - 07-25-2020

I am just missing political science, cornerstone, and capstone to graduate.  I have permission, but can't decide if I should do them together.  I have to be registered for both by August 1st IF I want to graduate for December.  Should I do them together?  Is it a lot of work? As most of my work is transfer credits, I want to do extremely well on both of them. 

I have a mental block with the idea of the cornerstone and what will be required.  I can't even think of an idea.

RE: Cornerstone and Capstone Together? - tallpilot - 07-25-2020

(07-25-2020, 05:42 PM)Tlm Wrote: I am just missing political science, cornerstone, and capstone to graduate.  I have permission, but can't decide if I should do them together.  I have to be registered for both by August 1st IF I want to graduate for December.  Should I do them together?  Is it a lot of work? As most of my work is transfer credits, I want to do extremely well on both of them. 

I have a mental block with the idea of the cornerstone and what will be required.  I can't even think of an idea.

If you are handy with APA citations and academic databases the cornerstone is not a tremendous amount of work.  3-4 very short 2-3 page papers and one 4-5 page paper.  The skills assessment required at the beginning will take some time.  So expect a tremendous time commitment the first couple of weeks but then it will die down.

Only you know your individual situation.  Are you working 40-50 hours per week and balancing a family?  It might be difficult.  Unemployed or working a part time job?  Completely doable.

I personally delayed my graduation until March to isolate the capstone and reduce my workload.  Must you graduate by December?

RE: Cornerstone and Capstone Together? - Merlin - 07-26-2020

(07-25-2020, 05:42 PM)Tlm Wrote: I am just missing political science, cornerstone, and capstone to graduate.  I have permission, but can't decide if I should do them together.  I have to be registered for both by August 1st IF I want to graduate for December.  Should I do them together?  Is it a lot of work? As most of my work is transfer credits, I want to do extremely well on both of them. 

The cornerstone is not the issue, it is the capstone. While they can be done together, it isn't recommended.

The capstone requires a ton of reading & writing and fair amount of research. It also requires a fair amount of weekly busy work in the form of forum posts, etc. It is always advisable to try to isolate the capstone on its own, but if that is not feasible for one reason or another they can be done together. You just need to ensure you have the free time and dedication to manage the extra load.

Pro Tip: If you try to do both at once, order the textbook early and work through as much of the reading and note-taking as you can prior to the first day of class to try and give yourself a bit of a head start.

RE: Cornerstone and Capstone Together? - Tlm - 07-28-2020

Decided... I will do them separately. I am a strong writer, but I take my work seriously and don't want to be overwhelmed.