Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
OMG, I need glasses! What would you do? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: OMG, I need glasses! What would you do? (/Thread-OMG-I-need-glasses-What-would-you-do)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: OMG, I need glasses! What would you do? - Merlin - 10-09-2020

(10-09-2020, 06:42 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, having that extra coverage is great just in case "something" happens to the glasses.  My pairs of glasses has everything BUT transitions, as that's an extremely expensive add-on that I can't afford.  I rather keep a nice pair of sunglasses just for that.  For reading or computer use, I also have another pair... but for going out and driving, I have issues seeing further.

I used to keep a pair of prescription sunglasses to go along with my regular glasses, but it was expensive and inconvenient to always have to carry multiple pairs of glasses. Once transitions came out I jumped at that since it is cheaper than a second pair of glasses and is so convenient. Plus, from what I am told, they are blue-blocking by nature, so you can also use them as computer glasses.

So I generally have transitions on all my lenses these days. I only have to worry about a single pair of glasses, which I generally only replace every 5 years or so. So I find them to be pretty cost-effective if you look at that cost as offsetting the other costs. Smile

RE: OMG, I need glasses! What would you do? - davewill - 10-10-2020

I found Transitions to be pretty useless as they won't darken if you're in the shade, particularly while driving.

OMG, I need glasses! What would you do? - alab21 - 10-11-2020

(10-10-2020, 03:00 PM)davewill Wrote: I found Transitions to be pretty useless as they won't darken if you're in the shade, particularly while driving.

They make a type of transitions now that changes inside the car or near a window. It’s a little pricey and require upgraded lenses. They also stay slightly tinted all the time. I didn’t care for that look, since I pay for frameless to make the glasses less “in your face noticeable”. Pilots apparently love them.

I started buying my family’s glasses through America’s Best Contacts and Glasses. They are face to face. I pay a fraction of what I used to at the optometrist’s office. They are a bit more than Zenni, though the cost is minimal after insurance. Again, I pay for a bunch of specific things: transitions, frameless, upgraded lenses for a bigger “keyhole” on my line-free progressives, blue reduction, etc. Great service. They replace all the nose pieces with silicone for me. It helps keep them from sliding down as bad, especially in the summer, and more comfortable than the hard plastic ones that come on most glasses. They did my dads glasses too, and he’s not even a customer.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

RE: OMG, I need glasses! What would you do? - Merlin - 10-12-2020

(10-11-2020, 09:02 AM)alab21 Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 03:00 PM)davewill Wrote: I found Transitions to be pretty useless as they won't darken if you're in the shade, particularly while driving.

They make a type of transitions now that changes inside the car or near a window. It’s a little pricey and require upgraded lenses. They also stay slightly tinted all the time. I didn’t care for that look, since I pay for frameless to make the glasses less “in your face noticeable”. Pilots apparently love them.

Yeah, they are called XtraActive and that is the type I get. I have extremely light-sensitive eyes, so those are great because they have a small amount of tint all the time, plus they get much darker than normal transitions when outside (and they get dark very fast). They also work in the car, but if you have UV blocking glass in the car they won't get much darker. If you really need it, you can also add clip-on sunglasses or "overglasses" which you wear over normal glasses. I used to use one or the other when I was driving a lot. But I rarely drive at all these days, especially with Covid.