Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Optimal COSC Timeline? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: COSC - Charter Oak State College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-COSC-Charter-Oak-State-College-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Optimal COSC Timeline? (/Thread-Optimal-COSC-Timeline)

Pages: 1 2

Optimal COSC Timeline? - LongRoad - 10-16-2020

It seems to me that I once read a post about a COSC timeline for the best time to enroll, take the corner- and capstones, and graduate.  

By “best time,” I recall that both courses could be taken in the same semester to reduce costs, etc. Of course, now that I want to consider applying to COSC, I can’t find the darn thing!

Does anyone recall this post? If so, can you share a link? I’m not looking for information on other courses, etc. I’m specifically looking for an efficient timeline to reduce costs for those two courses and other COSC costs for enrollment and graduation.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

RE: Optimal COSC Timeline? - rachel83az - 10-16-2020

I'm pretty sure that cornerstone and capstone need to be taken in different semesters. Here's a thread about the speed of COSC: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Speed-of-graduating-COSC

RE: Optimal COSC Timeline? - sambam0812 - 10-16-2020

According to my admissions counselor/advisor you could in theory take both classes at the same time; the cornerstone just has to be in your first term (it’s an 8 week class) and depending on your capstone you might need to get permission to enroll off-calendar (some capstones are 10 weeks long, others are a full semester, some are a single term depending on your major).

RE: Optimal COSC Timeline? - bjcheung77 - 10-17-2020

This is what I have suggested several times throughout the years, there hasn't been many changes for COSC.  Essentially, you can get an application waiver from me through PM.  Take courses from partner providers such as Sophia.org/StraighterLine/Study.com, etc that have partnered with COSC.  Basically, the discount would be 10% on tuition only, but generally should or may also include all other fees.  The majority of people who have done it this way, get their courses practically FREE as the 10% discount offsets the cost of the courses from the alternative providers, so it's like getting Sophia/StraighterLine or Study.com courses FREE!

There isn't really an optimal timeline, my suggestion is to complete all the required courses you need for transfer, if not the majority of them and then complete the Cornerstone and Capstone.  Depending on the students circumstances, I would suggest completing almost everything required for the degree before taking the Cornerstone and Capstone after consulting with and advisor. The main concern with COSC is the 30 UL credits and where to get them.   Anyways, not sure if this is the thread, I wrote about something for COSC/WGU a few months ago, see here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-COSC-Waiver-Study-com-Referral-other-discounts

RE: Optimal COSC Timeline? - Ann7 - 10-17-2020

I also am wondering when to enroll optimally.... I read the suggested threads but still not clear to me if anyone has more to add that would be great!

I am going to have to do the split capstone for liberal arts or individualized studies at COSC
so I get that it will take 5 weeks and 10 weeks = 2 terms and my cornerstone will be 8 weeks = 1 term. I definitely don't want to be paying for terms while waiting because I didn't enroll at the right time!

I plan on having everything done except the cornerstone and capstone before enrolling. I read that Fall 2 or spring 2 is the regular capstone ... Not sure what that means. Is there any calendar of start dates anywhere? I couldn't find one on their website.

I had planned on enrolling before July 1st to ensure I'm locked in to prices and requirements before any changes.... take my cornerstone in the summer June ? and in August ? my capstone (split but totaling 15 weeks) to be done by Christmas! Is this possible?

Anyone know if the split has a break between the 5 weeks and 10 weeks or is it basically 15 total weeks? (I'm hoping it doesn't creep beyond 16 weeks as that would increase fees!)
Thanks!

RE: Optimal COSC Timeline? - sambam0812 - 10-18-2020

(10-17-2020, 11:49 AM)Pathfinder Wrote: I also am wondering when to enroll optimally.... I read the suggested threads but still not clear to me if anyone has more to add that would be great!  

I am going to have to do the split capstone for liberal arts or individualized studies at COSC
so I get that it will take 5 weeks and 10 weeks = 2 terms and my cornerstone will be 8 weeks = 1 term.  I definitely don't want to be paying for terms while waiting because I didn't enroll at the right time!

I plan on having everything done except the cornerstone and capstone before enrolling.  I read that Fall 2 or spring 2 is the regular capstone ... Not sure what that means.  Is there any calendar of start dates anywhere?  I couldn't find one on their website.

I had planned on enrolling before July 1st to ensure I'm locked in to prices and requirements before any changes.... take my cornerstone in the summer June ?   and in August ? my capstone (split but totaling 15 weeks) to be done by Christmas!   Is this possible?  

Anyone know if the split has a break between the 5 weeks and 10 weeks or is it basically 15 total weeks?  (I'm hoping it doesn't creep beyond 16 weeks as that would increase fees!)
Thanks!
You can actually get it done in 1 semester (2 terms). It would look like this:

Term 1:
5-week capstone
IDS101-Cornerstone (8 weeks)

Term 2 (with permission to enroll off-schedule):
10-week capstone

The capstones HAVE to be taken together in one semester, so there will be no breaks. 

Fall 21 classes are not available for browsing yet, but they pretty much repeat the same course offerings year over year, so you can look at this year's offerings (even though you wouldn't be able to enroll now) to get an idea of what your schedule would be. Spring is open for enrollment if you have all (or most of) your credits already.

Academic calendar is here. Course search is here

RE: Optimal COSC Timeline? - LongRoad - 10-18-2020

(10-18-2020, 10:25 AM)sambam0812 Wrote:
(10-17-2020, 11:49 AM)Pathfinder Wrote: I also am wondering when to enroll optimally.... I read the suggested threads but still not clear to me if anyone has more to add that would be great!  

so I get that it will take 5 weeks and 10 weeks = 2 terms and my cornerstone will be 8 weeks = 1 term.  I definitely don't want to be paying for terms while waiting because I didn't enroll at the right time!

I plan on having everything done except the cornerstone and capstone before enrolling.  I read that Fall 2 or spring 2 is the regular capstone ... Not sure what that means.  Is there any calendar of start dates anywhere?  I couldn't find one on their website.

I had planned on enrolling before July 1st to ensure I'm locked in to prices and requirements before any changes.... take my cornerstone in the summer June ?   and in August ? my capstone (split but totaling 15 weeks) to be done by Christmas!   Is this possible?  

Anyone know if the split has a break between the 5 weeks and 10 weeks or is it basically 15 total weeks?  (I'm hoping it doesn't creep beyond 16 weeks as that would increase fees!)
Thanks!

Term 1:
5-week capstone

10-week capstone

The capstones HAVE to be taken together in one semester, so there will be no breaks. 

Fall 21 classes are not available for browsing yet, but they pretty much repeat the same course offerings year over year, so you can look at this year's offerings (even though you wouldn't be able to enroll now) to get an idea of what your schedule would be. Spring is open for enrollment if you have all (or most of) your credits already.

Sambam0812, 

I think that this is EXACTLY the info I'm looking for. However, I'm not quite sure I understand you. I've taken most of my courses (at some point I'll post a spreadsheet for forum advice/corrections). Are you saying use TWO terms? Or are you saying that 5-week capstone and the IDS101 (Cornerstone) can be taken the same term? What do you mean by "Term 2 (with permission to enroll off-schedule) for the 10-week capstone? Is that in addition to the courses you mention for Term 1?

Thank you for your help.

(10-17-2020, 12:12 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: This is what I have suggested several times throughout the years, there hasn't been many changes for COSC.  Essentially, you can get an application waiver from me through PM.  Take courses from partner providers such as Sophia.org/StraighterLine/Study.com, etc that have partnered with COSC.  Basically, the discount would be 10% on tuition only, but generally should or may also include all other fees.  The majority of people who have done it this way, get their courses practically FREE as the 10% discount offsets the cost of the courses from the alternative providers, so it's like getting Sophia/StraighterLine or Study.com courses FREE!

There isn't really an optimal timeline, my suggestion is to complete all the required courses you need for transfer, if not the majority of them and then complete the Cornerstone and Capstone.  Depending on the students circumstances, I would suggest completing almost everything required for the degree before taking the Cornerstone and Capstone after consulting with and advisor. The main concern with COSC is the 30 UL credits and where to get them.   Anyways, not sure if this is the thread, I wrote about something for COSC/WGU a few months ago, see here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-COSC-Waiver-Study-com-Referral-other-discounts

When I get my act together (?), you'll be the first person I PM.  Thanks.

RE: Optimal COSC Timeline? - sambam0812 - 10-18-2020

(10-18-2020, 10:36 AM)LongRoad Wrote:

Thanks!

Term 1:
5-week capstone

10-week capstone

Sambam0812, 

I think that this is EXACTLY the info I'm looking for. However, I'm not quite sure I understand you. I've taken most of my courses (at some point I'll post a spreadsheet for forum advice/corrections). Are you saying use TWO terms? Or are you saying that 5-week capstone and the IDS101 (Cornerstone) can be taken the same term? What do you mean by "Term 2 (with permission to enroll off-schedule) for the 10-week capstone? Is that in addition to the courses you mention for Term 1?

Thank you for your help.

I might have been confusing contract learning (which is self-study) with the regular 5-week/10-week capstones. All classes for the full semester, the first 8-week term, and the first 5-week session "start" on the same day. So your schedule for Spring would look like this:

01/19/21 START:
IDS cornerstone
5-week capstone

02/21/21 FINISH 5-week capstone

3/8/21 START 10-week capstone

3/14/21 FINISH IDS cornerstone

5/16/21 FINISH 10-week capstone.

So this is all considered the same semester (Spring), however, the cornerstone is considered to be a part of Term 1, the 5-week capstone is considered to be part of Session 1, and the 10-week capstone is considered to be a Full Semester class, even though it doesn't start until the middle of the semester.  For the purposes of fees/tuition, you would only be paying the student services/technology fee once, and 100% of your tuition would be due on the same day because technically all of your classes start on the same day.

On the bright side, you do end up getting a little break in between the capstones.

RE: Optimal COSC Timeline? - LongRoad - 10-18-2020

(10-18-2020, 02:10 PM)sambam0812 Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 10:36 AM)LongRoad Wrote:

Thanks!

Term 1:
5-week capstone

10-week capstone

Sambam0812, 

Thank you for your help.

I might have been confusing contract learning (which is self-study) with the regular 5-week/10-week capstones. All classes for the full semester, the first 8-week term, and the first 5-week session "start" on the same day. So your schedule for Spring would look like this:

01/19/21 START:
IDS cornerstone
5-week capstone

02/21/21 FINISH 5-week capstone

3/8/21 START 10-week capstone

3/14/21 FINISH IDS cornerstone

5/16/21 FINISH 10-week capstone.

So this is all considered the same semester (Spring), however, the cornerstone is considered to be a part of Term 1, the 5-week capstone is considered to be part of Session 1, and the 10-week capstone is considered to be a Full Semester class, even though it doesn't start until the middle of the semester.  For the purposes of fees/tuition, you would only be paying the student services/technology fee once, and 100% of your tuition would be due on the same day because technically all of your classes start on the same day.

On the bright side, you do end up getting a little break in between the capstones.
Crystal clear.

Thank you very much.

RE: Optimal COSC Timeline? - Ann7 - 10-18-2020

Yes very helpful! Thank you!!