Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
COSC BA structure? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: COSC - Charter Oak State College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-COSC-Charter-Oak-State-College-Discussion)
+--- Thread: COSC BA structure? (/Thread-COSC-BA-structure)

Pages: 1 2 3

COSC BA structure? - innen_oda - 11-14-2020

I've been playing around with the COSC Psych roadmap. To be perfectly honest, I don't entirely understand the COSC structure: 60 credits for gen eds + 39 credits for the AOS = 99. Which leaves a mystery 22 credits. What are these?

Would love feedback on what I have mapped out for the AOS.

Not 100% on the course numbers, as I started with the TESU BA Psych roadmap. TESU is much much clearer for me, whereas I can't find anything that clearly describes the COSC BA structure.

And any info on those mystery 22 credits? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

AREA OF STUDY: PSYCHOLOGY
(39 units)

COSC BA CAPSTONE 3 COSC (UL)

Core Courses 12 credits
PSY101 Introduction to Psychology 3 Sophia (LL)
PSY216 Statistics in Psychology 3 UExcel (UL)
PSY490 History and Systems of Psychology 3 SDC (LL)
PSY410 Research in Experimental Psychology (Research Methods in Psych) 3 SDC (LL)

Psychology Electives 9 credits
PSY322 Learning and Memory 3 SDC (UL)
PSY320 Cognitive Psychology 3 SDC (LL)
PSY334 Psychology of Personality 3 SDC (UL)

Concentration courses (Cognition and Learning) 15 credits
PSY236 Developmental Psychology (Lifespan Development psych) 3 TECEP (UL)
PSY301 Psychology of Play 3 ???
PSY450 Neuropsychology 3 ???
?????? Organisational Behaviour 3 ???
?????? Industrial Psychology 3 SDC (UL)

RE: COSC BA structure? - rachel83az - 11-14-2020

The missing 22 credits are electives, I think?

RE: COSC BA structure? - cecilgambe7 - 11-14-2020

As you can fill two (or more) requirements with the same course, the usual thing is to fill everything with less than 120 credits, then you must reach 120 credits through electives.

RE: COSC BA structure? - dfrecore - 11-14-2020

Yep, it's electives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COSC BA CAPSTONE 3 COSC (UL)

Core Courses 12 credits
PSY101 Introduction to Psychology 3 Sophia (LL)
PSY216 Statistics in Psychology 3 UExcel (UL) - THERE IS NO UEXCEL FOR STATS IN PSYCH, JUST A LL EXAM FOR STATS
PSY490 History and Systems of Psychology 3 SDC (LL)- THIS COMES IN AS UL AS FAR AS I CAN TELL
PSY410 Research in Experimental Psychology (Research Methods in Psych) 3 SDC (LL) - THIS SDC COURSE DOESN'T FULFILL THIS REQUIREMENT, YOU'LL HAVE TO USE THE UEXCEL UL EXAM INSTEAD

Psychology Electives 9 credits (I DON'T SEE WHERE THIS IS AN OPTION FOR THE PSYCH DEGREE, I THINK YOU MAY BE LOOKING SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN THE COSC WEBSITE FOR THIS?)
PSY322 Learning and Memory 3 SDC (UL) - THERE IS NO SDC COURSE THAT WORKS FOR THIS
PSY320 Cognitive Psychology 3 SDC (LL) - THERE IS NO SDC COURSE THAT WORKS FOR THIS
PSY334 Psychology of Personality 3 SDC (UL) - YES

Concentration courses (Cognition and Learning) 15 credits
PSY236 Developmental Psychology (Lifespan Development psych) 3 TECEP (UL) - THERE IS NO TECEP FOR THIS, BUT YOU CAN TAKE SDC'S PSY107: LIFESPAN DEV
PSY301 Psychology of Play 3 ???
PSY450 Neuropsychology 3 ???
?????? Organisational Behaviour 3 ???
?????? Industrial Psychology 3 SDC (UL) - PSY301: I/O PSYCH

I also can't see where you'd meet the 2 courses in cognitive (no options I know of to cover 2 of the 4 options in the core); and you'd have to choose General Psych as your concentration, as you can't meet the requirements of the other 3 options.

ARE YOU LOOKING HERE FOR THE REQUIREMENTS? https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/current/undergraduate-programs-bachelors/psychology.php
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think in this instance, you are better off going through TESU for a Psych degree - they take WAY more SDC Psych courses as UL, and they accept Coopersmith courses as well (TESU does not).

For COSC, generally speaking a BALS with your own options for concentration is cheapest, but once you want a true major, you're better off at TESU.

RE: COSC BA structure? - innen_oda - 11-14-2020

(11-14-2020, 04:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: [Helpful info]

As usual, dfrecore, your insight is excellent. I originally had a TESU BA Psych degree mapped out, but given the cost difference between the two (I don't live in a Western country, so this aspect is fairly important), I think I might go with COSC. So there's probably a bit of overlap between TESU req's, various posts on this board (going back to 2014!), and the COSC website as I tried to piece together the requirements and appropriate courses. Seems I still missed the mark.

I'll revise the roadmap this weekend and see if I can get any closer. Really wish COSC was as clear as TESU with the degree structure.

For the 22 credits of electives, are these fully free electives? Or is there some criteria they need to meet?

RE: COSC BA structure? - dfrecore - 11-14-2020

(11-14-2020, 06:00 PM)innen_oda Wrote:
(11-14-2020, 04:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: [Helpful info]

As usual, dfrecore, your insight is excellent. I originally had a TESU BA Psych degree mapped out, but given the cost difference between the two (I don't live in a Western country, so this aspect is fairly important), I think I might go with COSC. So there's probably a bit of overlap between TESU req's, various posts on this board (going back to 2014!), and the COSC website as I tried to piece together the requirements and appropriate courses. Seems I still missed the mark.

I'll revise the roadmap this weekend and see if I can get any closer. Really wish COSC was as clear as TESU with the degree structure.

For the 22 credits of electives, are these fully free electives? Or is there some criteria they need to meet?

The problem with COSC is going to be that it's going to be more (or as) expensive as TESU with the inability to get the core requirements that you need (specifically Statistics in Psych, which is NOT regular Stats, and the 2 core courses from Cognitive Psych/Adolescent Psych/Learning & Memory/Intro to Neuropsychology).  Unless you can find those very inexpensively, you may end up adding $3000 to the cost of the degree, which puts you in the range of the TESU degree.

RE: COSC BA structure? - innen_oda - 11-20-2020

Since concentrations don't matter hugely anyway, I think I'll just go with the General Psych option.
Also not sure if Industrial Psych and Org Behaviour might be too closely related (and I think Org Behaviour might come in under Communications, instead of Psych?), but they interest me, so I'd like to take them if possible.

Revised COSC Psych degree roadmap:

LIB-495 LIBERAL ARTS CAPSTONE 3 COSC (UL)

Core Courses 12 credits
PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology 3 Sophia (LL)
PSY216 Statistics in Psychology 4 BYU-IS/Rio Salado CC
PSY490 History and Systems of Psychology 3 SDC (UL)
PSY410 Research in Experimental Psychology (Research Methods in Psych) 3 UEXCEL (UL)

PSY248 Adolescent Psychology 3 UExcel (LL)
PSY322 Learning and Memory 3 COSC (UL)

Concentration courses (General Psych) 15 credits
PSY236 Developmental Psychology (Lifespan Development Psych) 3 SDC (LL)
PSY336 Abnormal Psychology 3 UEXCEL/TECEP
PSY301 Industrial Psychology 3 SDC (UL)
Organisational Behaviour 3 DSST (UL)
PSY321 Social Psychology 3 SDC/UEXCEL (UL)

RE: COSC BA structure? - dfrecore - 11-21-2020

(11-20-2020, 10:39 AM)innen_oda Wrote: Since concentrations don't matter hugely anyway, I think I'll just go with the General Psych option.
Also not sure if Industrial Psych and Org Behaviour might be too closely related (and I think Org Behaviour might come in under Communications, instead of Psych?), but they interest me, so I'd like to take them if possible.

Revised COSC Psych degree roadmap:

LIB-495 LIBERAL ARTS CAPSTONE 3 COSC (UL)

Core Courses 12 credits
PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology 3 Sophia (LL)
PSY216 Statistics in Psychology 4 BYU-IS/Rio Salado CC
PSY490 History and Systems of Psychology 3 SDC (UL)
PSY410 Research in Experimental Psychology (Research Methods in Psych) 3 UEXCEL (UL)

PSY248 Adolescent Psychology 3 UExcel (LL)
PSY322 Learning and Memory 3 COSC (UL)

Concentration courses (General Psych) 15 credits
PSY236 Developmental Psychology (Lifespan Development Psych) 3 SDC (LL)
PSY336 Abnormal Psychology 3 UEXCEL/TECEP
PSY301 Industrial Psychology 3 SDC (UL)
Organisational Behaviour 3 DSST (UL)
PSY321 Social Psychology 3 SDC/UEXCEL (UL)

For Psych stats, BYU IS is $848 (it's a 4cr course) and Rio Salado was $750 last time I checked.  U of Idaho Self-paced is only $510 ($160/cr + $30 fee).

There is no UExcel for Adolescent Psychology.  Instead, in that area, you could do U of Idaho's Physiological Psych, which should come in as PSY450.

I would double-check the Org Behavior DSST Exam - it was downgraded to LL back in 2017, and COSC may not have caught it.  Plus, you may have a hard time finding a testing center for it.  But they have that course in other places (Study.com's BUS 307: Leadership & Organizational Behavior comes in as MGT 315).

RE: COSC BA structure? - innen_oda - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 01:58 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For Psych stats, BYU IS is $848 (it's a 4cr course) and Rio Salado was $750 last time I checked.  U of Idaho Self-paced is only $510 ($160/cr + $30 fee).

There is no UExcel for Adolescent Psychology.  Instead, in that area, you could do U of Idaho's Physiological Psych, which should come in as PSY450.

You're right, the costs are beginning to add up. Maybe I should look at other COSC options, because the Psych concentration is really difficult without Coopersmith, and the alternatives are $$$.

Criminal Justice and American Studies look interesting and doable - wonder if I could do them both?

RE: COSC BA structure? - dfrecore - 11-21-2020

The CJ major can't be done alternatively I don't think. There aren't enough UL credits available. I know for sure American Studies can't. American Art isn't available alternatively, and you need 6cr there.

You can always choose the BALS w/Psych and something else for your concentrations, and just add something that sounds good to you. Like there are tons of options for Psych & Business, which would easily fit together well.

(11-14-2020, 08:01 AM)innen_oda Wrote: I've been playing around with the COSC Psych roadmap. To be perfectly honest, I don't entirely understand the COSC structure: 60 credits for gen eds + 39 credits for the AOS = 99. Which leaves a mystery 22 credits. What are these?

I forgot to mention: COSC does not require 60cr in GE.  They have specific requirements, but you can meet those through your regular courses, and they'll check off the GE requirements along the way.

Some examples:

- If you take Human Geography, it will count as a liberal arts course, for the GE Non-US History or Culture requirement, and for the GE Global Understanding requirement.

- If you take International Business, it will count in your non-liberal arts area, as a business course, and for the GE Global Understanding requirement.

- If you take A&I Lit, it will count as a liberal arts course, for the GE Non-US History or Culture requirement, and for the GE Literature & Fine Arts requirement.

If you just take a single course to meet each requirement individually, it's a max of 37cr (12 requirements, and 1 is that you have a lab science in there).