Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Source for Online RA Credit?(Outlier.org) - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: General "Big 3", B&M colleges, and other colleges (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Big-3-B-M-colleges-and-other-colleges)
+--- Thread: Source for Online RA Credit?(Outlier.org) (/Thread-Source-for-Online-RA-Credit-Outlier-org)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Source for Online RA Credit?(Outlier.org) - MNomadic - 11-20-2020

https://www.outlier.org/

Calculus 1
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Astronomy(Beta)
Intro to Statistics(Beta)

It looks like each course is:

$400

3 transferable credits from University of Pittsburgh

Full refund if you don’t pass*

Immersive, interactive digital experience

Multiple instructors per class

On-demand(lectures), anywhere

Flexible exam window

It sounds like a similar concept to the ASU EA courses which is really a great model. The price is pretty good for what they offer. At least it shows there is some innovation and competition out there.

Also, it looks like they offer a free course to front-line workers

RE: NEW Source for Online, Self-Paced RA Credit?(Outlier.org) - nomaduser - 11-20-2020

Wow, I really like this program. University of Pittsburgh is a big name.
I will try this later on. Thanks for the info.

RE: NEW Source for Online, Self-Paced RA Credit?(Outlier.org) - Seagull - 11-21-2020

(11-20-2020, 10:59 PM)MNomadic Wrote: https://www.outlier.org/

Calculus 1
Intro to Psychology
Intro to Astronomy(Beta)
Intro to Statistics(Beta)

It looks like each course is:

$400

3 transferable credits from University of Pittsburgh

Full refund if you don’t pass*

Immersive, interactive digital experience

Multiple instructors per class

On-demand(lectures), anywhere

Flexible exam window

It sounds like a similar concept to the ASU EA courses which is really a great model. The price is pretty good for what they offer. At least it shows there is some innovation and competition out there.

Also, it looks like they offer a free course to front-line workers
Does ASU refund if one doesn't pass?

RE: NEW Source for Online, Self-Paced RA Credit?(Outlier.org) - rachel83az - 11-21-2020

ASU does not refund you. But you don't pay that much to get started either. You only pay $25 to attempt a class for credit and, if you like the grade, you can pay another $400 to have it added to your ASU transcript.

RE: NEW Source for Online, Self-Paced RA Credit?(Outlier.org) - ctcarl - 11-21-2020

(11-21-2020, 07:40 AM)Seagull Wrote:
Does ASU refund if one doesn't pass?

Not exactly.  But to take a course on a credit track, the only upfront cost is $25.  You pay an additional $400 only if you are happy with your grade.

RE: NEW Source for Online, Self-Paced RA Credit?(Outlier.org) - nomaduser - 11-21-2020

I wish these were available when I was an undergrad.
When I was an undergrad, there was absolutely no opportunity like this. You had to pay enormous amount of money to mortar and brick universities to get any credit. Back then, they didn't allow you to change major easily... everything was far more difficult and inaccessible mainly to make educators rich.

RE: NEW Source for Online, Self-Paced RA Credit?(Outlier.org) - MNomadic - 11-21-2020

Just wanted to update that I don't think it's necessarily self paced. It looks like they have 7 and 14 week cohorts. It does sound like it could be a great program, particularly for calculus, which a lot of students struggle with(and I don't personally think the ACE options for calc1 are adequate for people who plan to study more advanced math afterwards).

RE: NEW Source for Online, Self-Paced RA Credit?(Outlier.org) - dfrecore - 11-21-2020

I've known about this one for quite a while, it's not new.  And it's not self-paced.

But I'm glad to see they've added 2 courses.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am curious to know if like EA/ASU, these do not go on a transcript if you fail or drop after the deadline?  Because if you fail and get a refund, but still have it on a transcript, that's not a good thing.

RE: NEW Source for Online, Self-Paced RA Credit?(Outlier.org) - Rustydroid - 11-21-2020

I could use that Statistics course for my community college and for TESU. I just applied for a free course. Thank you.

RE: NEW Source for Online, Self-Paced RA Credit?(Outlier.org) - ss20ts - 11-21-2020

Psych and Stats are on Sophia which is cheaper. InstantCert has astronomy and psych as well. Both are self paced and less costly, but if you need RA credits, this might provide that.

(11-21-2020, 03:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I've known about this one for quite a while, it's not new.  And it's not self-paced.

But I'm glad to see they've added 2 courses.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I am curious to know if like EA/ASU, these do not go on a transcript if you fail or drop after the deadline?  Because if you fail and get a refund, but still have it on a transcript, that's not a good thing.

Yeah failing courses is not a good thing on a transcript. With Sophia if you drop the course, it doesn't appear on the transcript which is nice.