Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Mistakes were made; or: How to deal with a bad GPA at TESU? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Mistakes were made; or: How to deal with a bad GPA at TESU? (/Thread-Mistakes-were-made-or-How-to-deal-with-a-bad-GPA-at-TESU)

Pages: 1 2 3

Mistakes were made; or: How to deal with a bad GPA at TESU? - Flelm - 12-01-2020

So, I'm in the home stretch. I just need to knock out 4 more courses for my BSBA, 3 from SDC and the capstone. Here's the problem.

My GPA at TESU is currently a 1.333 (I don't understand why it's not a 1.0). In years past, I failed to withdraw from both the BSAST capstone, and the BSBA capstone (long story) and they went in as big fat Fs. I was able to recently (earlier this year) register for OPM-411 and managed barely an A, so my GPA is still abysmal. But, I'm currently unable to register for the capstone because of it. I have an advising phone call set up for Thursday, and I'm hoping I can plead my case and get the hold on my account removed, because if I get a B or better my GPA should come up to above 2.0, and I don't think I have any problems with doing that.

I've done some forum searches but haven't seen anyone else with this problem, or if there's other strategies (I know I can take more courses at TESU, but I'm trying to avoid that. If I have to do that, I might skip SDC and just do more to get a residency waiver... But that might just be my frustration at myself talking).

So, any advice other than being really persuasive to the advisor?

RE: Mistakes were made; or: How to deal with a bad GPA at TESU? - rachel83az - 12-01-2020

You have to retake the course(s) that you failed on in order to get a better grade. Since these are capstone courses, I don't know how it can work if you're not allowed to even take the capstone(s) in the first place.

Otherwise, your only option may be to register for a handful of easy (and otherwise unnecessary) credits to try to boost your GPA. What courses have you taken at TESU? Just the two capstones?

RE: Mistakes were made; or: How to deal with a bad GPA at TESU? - bjcheung77 - 12-01-2020

I agree with rachel83az, I just have one question, do you already have 16 credits through TESU? OK, I lied, another Q: Did you apply for the DEC 2020 term scholarship? How many more courses do you need for your BSAST besides the capstone? I would think this over, if you haven't hit the 16 credits, take one of each and plead your case that is your LAST class (just transfer everything else in BEFORE you plead your case). If you have hit the 16 credits, then you can decide which of the two degrees you want more, I assume the BSBA since you're talking about that...

RE: Mistakes were made; or: How to deal with a bad GPA at TESU? - Flelm - 12-01-2020

I've taken 3 classes (not TECEPs) at TESU:

2 APS-401 Current Trends & Applications 2016OCT F 0.00
2 BUS-421 Business Administration Capsto 2017OCT F 0.00
2 OPM-411 Total Quality Management 2020MAR A 3.00

I was doing math wrong, 1.3333 is my correct GPA. If I retake BUS-421 and get a B (I believe should get at least an A-), I should have a 2.3333 GPA overall.

The BSAST was my overambitious attempt to get two bachelors, and I've given up on that. I would still need UL Project Management (I took the LL through Sophia for the BSBA), and probably SOS-101 since I would need to switch to the current catalog year. The BSBA is where I'm focused. I'm on the 2017 catalog, so I don't need SOS-101, but if I absolutely have to take another class to up my GPA, that's probably the one I would do...

Unofficial eval.

RE: Mistakes were made; or: How to deal with a bad GPA at TESU? - bjcheung77 - 12-01-2020

Seriously - You know what, you should create a pdf or screenshot of both BSBA and the BSAST, I can take a look... I wouldn't give up on being overboard with the degrees formerly known as BSAST (now they're called BS degrees) isn't all that bad if you can handle the courses. Now, you have a choice, if you want, you can do it at the expense of more courses VS paying the residency waiver fee. Read my tagline and signature, I am back for the second degree like many others before me...

RE: Mistakes were made; or: How to deal with a bad GPA at TESU? - Flelm - 12-01-2020

I posted my unofficial eval for the 2017 BSBA above but am re-adding it. The change in name answers why I couldn't do a BSAST eval anymore... BS Technical Studies eval attached to this post.

RE: Mistakes were made; or: How to deal with a bad GPA at TESU? - dfrecore - 12-01-2020

(12-01-2020, 01:03 PM)Flelm Wrote: I've taken 3 classes (not TECEPs) at TESU:

I was doing math wrong, 1.3333 is my correct GPA. If I retake BUS-421 and get a B (I believe should get at least an A-), I should have a 2.3333 GPA overall.

Yes, if you retake BUS-421, you just need a C to be able to graduate with a 2.0.

The other thing is that those F's don't count towards residency credit - you have to actually earn credit to get it to count towards that. So it's not like you're close to getting the residency waiver removed, unfortunately.

(12-01-2020, 01:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 01:03 PM)Flelm Wrote: I've taken 3 classes (not TECEPs) at TESU:

Yes, if you retake BUS-421, you just need a C to be able to graduate with a 2.0.

The other thing is that those F's don't count towards residency credit - you have to actually earn credit to get it to count towards that. So it's not like you're close to getting the residency waiver removed, unfortunately.

Yeah, I know. It's more the frustration with myself that's making me think to go the full 16 credits. I could do all my pending courses through TESU instead of SDC, plus SOS-110, and that would be 18. My best bet is still probably to see if they'll let me retake the Capstone (I'm hoping the A in a 400-level course will sway them), and my fall back plan to be SOS-110 and then BUS-421.

Flelm! Wow, you're much smarter than I.  You're so close to both degrees, it's easy doing the lower level requirements for the degrees.  You don't have any upper level requirements but the Project Management course and the two Capstones.  Haha you're in such good shape to finish both!  BTW, are you working full time? Have commitments or kids?  If I was in your shoes, I would do the following:

1) Apply for the Capstone course if you haven't already done so, the late registration fee is waived.  You can try and ask for an exception to be made for the Capstone course as it would be your final course.  You just have to explain to them you're at 111 credits or 108 credits, you've finished your SDC courses and everything else, but need the capstone to finish the degree (do so by email, and call them - reference the email, it's got a tracking #, don't wait for the call on Thursday).

2) Think really hard on this: Finish with courses or pay the residency waiver.  If you can get a Pell Grant or have tuition assistance/reimbursement, got a budget/fund setup, go for the classes and finish with a higher GPA, get graded credits to boot, and get a second degree at the same time.  If you want to just graduate ASAP, you still need to wait for June graduation.  Last but not least, I don't see an evaluation mention you have an AA or AS, if you don't have an associates, see below.

3) If I was in your shoes, you may want to look at cost/energy/time you want to place into finishing the degree.  You have two capstones to do, I would do them in two terms and get a Pell Grant or tuition reimbursement to pay for that and graduate in Sept 2021.  Why? You're in NJ, it's somewhat local for you, unless it goes to a Virtual Ceremony like this year, I would shoot for Sept 2021 graduation.

4) You have 3 credits residency, you need 13 more credits to waive your residency requirements, two capstones will just add 6 credits.  You need 7 more.
Here are the courses you should take to get the 7 credits:  Any remaining courses you have for each or both of these degrees, if you want.  OR you can shoot for an ASNSM Comp Science and/or another for Math, if you have all the requirements met already.  Another option is to the the AAS Computer Studies and/or the ESST instead, it's personal preference, but I would use the two courses towards something.  The last credit, take Jane Austen 298 to finish this off!

(12-01-2020, 02:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Flelm! Wow, you're much smarter than I.  You're so close to both degrees, it's easy doing the lower level requirements for the degrees.  You don't have any upper level requirements but the Project Management course and the two Capstones.  Haha you're in such good shape to finish both!  BTW, are you working full time? Have commitments or kids?  If I was in your shoes, I would do the following:

Thanks for the compliment, although I rarely feel smart. Smile Yes, I work full time, and just had a baby in July. That's why I'm focused on just finishing up. It's definitely holding me back at this point in my career, not having the degree.

(12-01-2020, 02:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: 1) Apply for the Capstone course if you haven't already done so, the late registration fee is waived.  You can try and ask for an exception to be made for the Capstone course as it would be your final course.  You just have to explain to them you're at 111 credits or 108 credits, you've finished your SDC courses and everything else, but need the capstone to finish the degree (do so by email, and call them - reference the email, it's got a tracking #, don't wait for the call on Thursday).

I couldn't register for the January term, it said I had to contact advising. I'll try sending the email now and seeing if anything can happen.

(12-01-2020, 02:41 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: 2) Think really hard on this: Finish with courses or pay the residency waiver.  If you can get a Pell Grant or have tuition assistance/reimbursement, got a budget/fund setup, go for the classes and finish with a higher GPA, get graded credits to boot, and get a second degree at the same time.  If you want to just graduate ASAP, you still need to wait for June graduation.  Last but not least, I don't see an evaluation mention you have an AA or AS, if you don't have an associates, see below.

3) If I was in your shoes, you may want to look at cost/energy/time you want to place into finishing the degree.  You have two capstones to do, I would do them in two terms and get a Pell Grant or tuition reimbursement to pay for that and graduate in Sept 2021.  Why? You're in NJ, it's somewhat local for you, unless it goes to a Virtual Ceremony like this year, I would shoot for Sept 2021 graduation.

4) You have 3 credits residency, you need 13 more credits to waive your residency requirements, two capstones will just add 6 credits.  You need 7 more.
Here are the courses you should take to get the 7 credits:  Any remaining courses you have for each or both of these degrees, if you want.  OR you can shoot for an ASNSM Comp Science and/or another for Math, if you have all the requirements met already.  Another option is to the the AAS Computer Studies and/or the ESST instead, it's personal preference, but I would use the two courses towards something.  The last credit, take Jane Austen 298 to finish this off!

I don't have an associates, and according to the eval all I need for ASNSM CompSci is SOS-110. If they don't let me take the Business capstone now without increasing my GPA, I'll have to think on this. I'll probably register for SOS-110 and figure out at that point if I want to do two capstones or not. (probably not)