Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Accepted, Do I Need To Enroll? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Accepted, Do I Need To Enroll? (/Thread-Accepted-Do-I-Need-To-Enroll)

Pages: 1 2

Accepted, Do I Need To Enroll? - MDW2447 - 12-12-2020

I applied and was accepted to TESU last month and have a question: 

It's my understanding that being accepted will "lock in" the current catalog, but after reading some other threads I'm wondering if I need to enroll in a class in order to do this? If true, seeing as how it's 12/12 now, I may have missed the boat on this?

I plan on following the BA Psych plan listed on the Wiki. I'm a SAHM with kids in school, so I'm going to attempt to complete in one calendar year.
(Currently working to finish behavioral statistics on ALEKS before it expires with ACE at the end of the year.)

Thanks for any clarity around this.

RE: Accepted, Do I Need To Enroll? - Dorothy44 - 12-12-2020

It is my understanding, that once you register and get your degree plan then you are good for a year with or without enrolling in a course. After a year, you have to enroll in a course in order to keep your plan. Some people enroll in either an easy course or exam in order to keep their plan up to date.

RE: Accepted, Do I Need To Enroll? - MDW2447 - 12-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 01:19 AM)Dorothy44 Wrote: It is my understanding, that once you register and get your degree plan then you are good for a year with or without enrolling in a course.  After a year, you have to enroll in a course in order to keep your plan.  Some people enroll in either an easy course or exam in order to keep their plan up to date.

Thanks Dorothy. I guess I don't understand the difference between registering and enrolling in a course?

RE: Accepted, Do I Need To Enroll? - Merlin - 12-12-2020

(12-12-2020, 01:21 AM)MDW2447 Wrote: I guess I don't understand the difference between registering and enrolling in a course?

One is an action and the other is a status.

When you first apply to TESU, you are considered in "applied" status.

Once your application has been approved, your status is changed to "admitted." As an admitted student, your catalog is locked to the current one as of your admission date. Admitted students are allowed up to two transcript evaluations and limited support from the school admissions counselors (mainly to help you register for classes, etc. They won't help with pre-planning courses on your evaluation, etc.) You have one year from the date of admission to officially become enrolled or you will revert to inactive, lose your catalog lock, and need to apply again if you want to continue with TESU.

Once you register for your first course you become an "enrolled" student (well, technically you become enrolled 10 days after that course's term begins). As an enrolled student, you have full access to all college resources including unlimited transcript evaluations and full support from the registrar and academic counselors. This process also resets your one-year timer, keeping your catalog locked for another 12 months.

Each time you register for a new course, your timer gets reset for 12 months. If you don't graduate or register for a new course within 12 months, you will revert to inactive, lose your catalog lock, and need to apply again if you want to continue pursuing a degree with TESU.

Hopefully, that clears things up.

(12-12-2020, 05:03 AM)I’m Merlin Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 01:21 AM)MDW2447 Wrote: I guess I don't understand the difference between registering and enrolling in a course?

One is an action and the other is a status.

When you first apply to TESU, you are considered in "applied" status.

Once your application has been approved, your status is changed to "admitted." As an admitted student, your catalog is locked to the current one as of your admission date. Admitted students are allowed up to two transcript evaluations and limited support from the school admissions counselors (mainly to help you register for classes, etc. They won't help with pre-planning courses on your evaluation, etc.) You have one year from the date of admission to officially become enrolled or you will revert to inactive, lose your catalog lock, and need to apply again if you want to continue with TESU.

Once you register for your first course you become an "enrolled" student (well, technically you become enrolled 10 days after that course's term begins). As an enrolled student, you have full access to all college resources including unlimited transcript evaluations and full support from the registrar and academic counselors. This process also resets your one-year timer, keeping your catalog locked for another 12 months.

Each time you register for a new course, your timer gets reset for 12 months. If you don't graduate or register for a new course within 12 months, you will revert to inactive, lose your catalog lock, and need to apply again if you want to continue pursuing a degree with TESU.

Hopefully, that clears things up.
It does! Thank you!!

RE: Accepted, Do I Need To Enroll? - dfrecore - 12-12-2020

I would suggest that you take a TECEP exam sooner rather than later, to make sure that you're an enrolled student. There are some benefits to being enrolled at TESU, namely that if they make changes to a policy or the catalog, you're kind of grandfathered in, will normally be told in advance, and have a set amount of time to complete something that's changing. For example, back when they accepted the Strategic Management TECEP exam for the capstone (yes, you could test out of the BSBA capstone for a long time), they decided to do away with it. But they only told enrolled students, and gave them time to register and take it. If you weren't enrolled, but planned on doing the TECEP, you were screwed.

So don't just be "applied," do your best to become enrolled. I suggest taking the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP if you still have space in Quant Lit or GE electives - it's the easiest math test I've ever taken.

(12-12-2020, 04:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would suggest that you take a TECEP exam sooner rather than later, to make sure that you're an enrolled student.  There are some benefits to being enrolled at TESU, namely that if they make changes to a policy or the catalog, you're kind of grandfathered in, will normally be told in advance, and have a set amount of time to complete something that's changing.  For example, back when they accepted the Strategic Management TECEP exam for the capstone (yes, you could test out of the BSBA capstone for a long time), they decided to do away with it.  But they only told enrolled students, and gave them time to register and take it.  If you weren't enrolled, but planned on doing the TECEP, you were screwed.

So don't just be "applied," do your best to become enrolled.  I suggest taking the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP if you still have space in Quant Lit or GE electives - it's the easiest math test I've ever taken.

As always dfrecore, great thoughts. Thank you, I think I'll do that.

RE: Accepted, Do I Need To Enroll? - MDW2447 - 12-16-2020

(12-12-2020, 04:24 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would suggest that you take a TECEP exam sooner rather than later, to make sure that you're an enrolled student.  There are some benefits to being enrolled at TESU, namely that if they make changes to a policy or the catalog, you're kind of grandfathered in, will normally be told in advance, and have a set amount of time to complete something that's changing.  For example, back when they accepted the Strategic Management TECEP exam for the capstone (yes, you could test out of the BSBA capstone for a long time), they decided to do away with it.  But they only told enrolled students, and gave them time to register and take it.  If you weren't enrolled, but planned on doing the TECEP, you were screwed.

So don't just be "applied," do your best to become enrolled.  I suggest taking the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP if you still have space in Quant Lit or GE electives - it's the easiest math test I've ever taken.

Looking into this a bit more, would this really help me since you can take a TECEP even if you're not enrolled?
https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/testing-arrangements

RE: Accepted, Do I Need To Enroll? - rachel83az - 12-16-2020

If you are in application status, taking a TECEP will cause you to become enrolled. If you have not even applied to TESU, you can still take a TECEP but that is something else entirely.

RE: Accepted, Do I Need To Enroll? - MDW2447 - 12-18-2020

I'm signing up for the Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP now. Can I wait to take it in January to get the benefits you describe above, or do I need to take it before the end of this calendar year?

Also, is there anything that I can/should review to see if I need to study anything first? *EDIT* I just found the SDC test guide https://study.com/academy/course/tecep-applied-liberal-arts-mathematics-study-guide-test-prep.html