Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU Transfer Policy - Explained - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU Transfer Policy - Explained (/Thread-TESU-Transfer-Policy-Explained)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

TESU Transfer Policy - Explained - bjcheung77 - 01-16-2021

I've had a few people ask about the new TESU Transfer Policy, here's a very brief intro to it...
For Bachelors degree, you need to take Cornerstone/Capstone at TESU, can transfer a max of 114 credits
Community College: max 90 Credits and 4-Year College or University: max 114 Credits
ACE/NCCRS providers: Used to be 90 credits max per provider, now will be 90 credits maximum from all Alternate Credit sources
For more details see the Transfer link: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/transfer-credit

For the Big 3, this is the brief info you may want to review...
1) Up to 113 credits transferable to Excelsior or up to 114 credits transferable to COSC/TESU
2) Excelsior, you still have the option to transfer credits all from Alternative Credit providers
3) COSC/TESU require you to take 30 credits RA total (24 are from a college/university, 6 from them)
4) COSC/TESU have limits from a 2 year community college of 87/90 credits respectively
5) I Repeat: The Big 3 still allow up to 113/114 credits transfer, COSC/TESU requires 30 from RA sources

TLDR: If you have over 30 credits from community college or university credits to transfer into COSC/TESU, you are NOT affected by the new transfer policy from COSC/TESU.  They still allow you to transfer in 114 credits, but is limiting alternative credits to 90.  For people starting out, my advice is to get 24 of your General Education credits completed at a community college such as NMJC or partnerships such as TEL Learning.

Member Wrote:Hi there,

Ive seen you post a lot over the years and you REALLY seem to know what you're doing. I was wondering if by any chance you would help me and take pity on a very overwhelmed student and stressed out single Mom working 2 jobs with no time for trying to decode how to get a degree from TESU.

Ive tried to read the posts and all the 'things' and I just get completely overwhelmed. I have been working so hard toward a BA TESU degree and I am so close to finishing (a handful of classes left) and now I hear they changed their transfer policy??? All I have are transfer credits! I want to cry. seriously. I don't think I can read another thread or post. My head is spinning, I'm so confused.

I need someone who knows the ins and outs of TESU to spell out for me EXACTLY what I need to do, where, when and how. Would you please help me? I have created spreadsheets of everything Ive taken. I was deciding between the BA in Psych (which is really the degree I dreamed of) OR the BA Lib Arts (which I am closer to obtaining and will take if I have to).

I have not yet applied or enrolled to TESU. I need cheap, fast and easy. Can you help me sort this out?? Pretty please?

Thanks,

Hey, you should be jumping for joy like I told this lady: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Another-TESU-BSBA-General-Management-Plea-for-Help  I looked at your previous thread, you have 71 community college credits transferred in, you have nothing to worry about! - As you were girlfriend-keep plugging away at the remaining courses. 

Continue to transfer in everything BUT the Cornerstone/Capstone, as those are required at TESU.  If you want, create a thread for the BALS to see how many credits you have and maybe just finish faster. You can get a BALS Social Science Concentration and get a Masters of Psychology at Walden for cheap. 

A Masters will trump a Bachelors any day.  Essentially, you need to decide on either paying the residency waiver fee or doing 16 credits through TESU.  I want to know an evaluation of your newest BALS or BA Psychology if you have one.

Member Wrote:I wish I understood your message:/ For the BALS, all I had left to take was the SOS & Capstone requirement at TESU and 1 UL Liberal Arts class. That's it, everything was done! So that's way more 71 credits that I was going to be transferring in and now I cant. I'm not sure why I should be jumping for joy. I'm confused.

Also, while I have sent transcripts to TESU, they havent been evaluated yet due to my inactive status. Once I submit a new application, they said they will add me to the new catalog year and then once I have been re-admitted, they will update my evaluation. Do you still think I should be jumping for joy?

You just need to keep it easy and simple, you're just confused and scared because of a new policy that doesn't even affect you at all.  I'm not sure what the disconnect is here - The new policy is this, you can still continue to transfer in 114 credits and just take the 2 required courses - Cornerstone and Capstone at TESU. Within the 114 credits, you need 24 minimum from a college or university. That's all it is!  

I repeat, again, you have NOTHING to worry about.  As you were girlfriend-keep plugging away at the remaining courses.  You have OVER 24 credits coming from a community college, you're already there!  Just complete your remaining credits by transferring all of them in, then finish the degree with the final 2 courses at TESU. Just start jumping for joy as you're just 3 courses away! LOL, Easy P-easy!

BTW, your new application and catalog year won't affect you either, whatever you currently have will remain there and what's missing is still required.  So again, for a third time, you need those 3 courses (cornerstone, capstone at TESU, and transfer in the remaining UL Liberal Arts class.  You are not subject to any new rules for transferring credits, they still allow you up to 114 transfer credits! Yay! Start jumping!

RE: TESU Transfer Policy - Explained - Dorothy44 - 01-16-2021

TESU should get you to write the policy for them. They did write the policy a little strange. My sons had exactly 24 credits each from RA community college already listed on their degree plan. All they will need when they hopefully start in March is the 6 required credits from TESU. I will be happy when they are done!

RE: TESU Transfer Policy - Explained - Diana321 - 01-16-2021

(01-16-2021, 05:28 AM)Dorothy44 Wrote: TESU should get you to write the policy for them.  

I second that - I'm that lady who bjcheung77 referenced in the post above where he said I should be jumping for joy. I was having a complete meltdown over the new policy.  Turns out that I have nothing to worry about!

RE: TESU Transfer Policy - Explained - Swoneus - 01-16-2021

Thanks for this write-up on the subject. A lot of people, myself included, wasn't sure exactly how things stood. Maybe this is worthy of a sticky?

RE: TESU Transfer Policy - Explained - Certainly - 01-16-2021

Thank you for the policy clarification. I only have 24 RA's from my CC & TESU hasn't received my ACE credits yet. I'm concerned because my academic evaluation for my BA CS states 24 applied; however, my BSBA CIS states 21 applied. I dont think I'll finish my Sophia, SDC, Instantcert, Davar, Coopersmith,  & SL courses by March 1st. If I am completing my degrees concurrently will the policy effect me on the BSBA CIS RA's even though the BA CS RA's are met?

RE: TESU Transfer Policy - Explained - rachel83az - 01-16-2021

(01-16-2021, 11:06 AM)Certainly Wrote: Thank you for the policy clarification. I only have 24 RA's from my CC & TESU hasn't received my ACE credits yet. I'm concerned because my academic evaluation for my BA CS states 24 applied; however, my BSBA CIS states 21 applied. I dont think I'll finish my Sophia, SDC, Instantcert, Davar, Coopersmith,  & SL courses by March 1st. If I am completing my degrees concurrently will the policy effect me on the BSBA CIS RA's even though the BA CS RA's are met?

I think they would only allow you to get the CS degree and not the CIS degree if you only have 21 credits in the CIS degree. In that case, you would want to do 1 more 3-credit RA class/exam. Depending on what you already have, the liberal arts math TECEP might be the fastest/easiest way to do this. It fills the GE requirements and should become a GE elective at the very least. https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/earning-tecep-credit

(01-16-2021, 11:32 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 11:06 AM)Certainly Wrote: Thank you for the policy clarification. I only have 24 RA's from my CC & TESU hasn't received my ACE credits yet. I'm concerned because my academic evaluation for my BA CS states 24 applied; however, my BSBA CIS states 21 applied. I dont think I'll finish my Sophia, SDC, Instantcert, Davar, Coopersmith,  & SL courses by March 1st. If I am completing my degrees concurrently will the policy effect me on the BSBA CIS RA's even though the BA CS RA's are met?

I think they would only allow you to get the CS degree and not the CIS degree if you only have 21 credits in the CIS degree. In that case, you would want to do 1 more 3-credit RA class/exam. Depending on what you already have, the liberal arts math TECEP might be the fastest/easiest way to do this. It fills the GE requirements and should become a GE elective at the very least. https://www.tesu.edu/degree-completion/earning-tecep-credit
Thank you!!!!!!!

RE: TESU Transfer Policy - Explained - ashkir - 01-16-2021

It's astonishing how hard this has been for a lot of people. Thank you for clearing it up!

Smh, what's really astonishing is the way TESU applies credit. I'm glad that a lot of people on degreeforum are helpful instead of hurtful. I've seen multiple posts where people are wishing, hoping, & praying that credit will be applied as expected or in time for a cut off. I would have never guessed that the same 24 RA credits would be applied differently on Gen Ed's for similar degrees.

RE: TESU Transfer Policy - Explained - tpell1219 - 01-18-2021

So if I have 55 credits from a community college, 51 credits from straighterline and 24 credits from study.com...I should be ok? Meaning that March 1st deadline doesn’t apply? Can these 90 alternative credits be combined from multiple sources? Study.com and Straighterline etc?

Thanks for posting this information!! Super helpful. The RA requirement confused me. I took four finals over the weekend trying to rush lol I have three finals left. Organizational Theory, Finance and International Management.