Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Business Degree Path Guidance - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Business Degree Path Guidance (/Thread-Business-Degree-Path-Guidance)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Business Degree Path Guidance - BetaBen - 01-19-2021

Hello everyone.

I have been reading on the forum for a while now about the possibility of accelerating my path toward a degree.
I completed a UW Flexible Option Associate of Arts and Sciences degree. For anyone interested, it’s not a bad competency-based program, but I found it to be pretty time consuming due to a fair amount of busywork and the 80% requirement to pass courses. The major benefit for me was that no proctoring was required on nearly every course, but I would like to get a degree sooner rather than later.

I tried out Sophia and loved it. I flew though the materials and exams in a few days and still felt like I learned more than I did in an average FLEX course. I definitely do better with self-paced, low-stress courses, but because the FLEX degree was taking longer than expected, I decided that earning a degree in Business from one of the big three using SDC and other sources might be the best option for me.

However, when TESU changed its rules regarding RA credit, my anxiety kicked in (even though I have enough RA credit). Is it possible that the big three could create a new policy requiring more courses be taken through the college?  I’m afraid that I will be a SDC course or two away from the capstone and the Big Three will introduce a new rule in July or January that requires me to take courses with the college. Do you think they will do this soon? Are you safe once you have your graduation plan locked in?

I have been considering the BSBA in Accounting, Finance, General Management, and Computer Information Systems at TESU, the BSBA at COSC, and a Business Administration Bachelor’s at UMPI.

Given the credits I have, what degree path do you think would be the simplest to complete? What are your general thoughts? (See attached Word doc with my credits).

I really appreciate any advice you may share. Big Grin

RE: Business Degree Path Guidance - dfrecore - 01-19-2021

I would not worry too much about the changes to the schools - yes, the RA credit thing was an issue, but they usually don't make HUGE changes in policy like that often. And no, I don't think they'll change it to have to do 30cr at the school or anything like that anytime soon, if ever.

You would be smart though to go ahead and apply to TESU and UMPI to see what you need to finish; you're always better off getting a catalog, and getting the courses you've taken locked in. That kind of protects you from changes - it's not a guarantee, but I do know that TESU generally grandfather's you into new policies. So once you get courses onto the eval, and locked into place, you're just much better off.

Issues with Excel, so I can tell you what you still need at TESU for your BSBA/CIS degree:
English Comp I
Oral Comm/Speech
Civics (Comparative Politics or Am Govt)
Managerial Accounting
International Business
Business Comm (unless the Sophia course will work here)
Intro to Programming
Systems Analysis & Design (UL)
MIS (UL)
Database Mgmt (UL)
Digital Marketing (UL)
(the last 4 assume you're taking these at Study.com, there are other options if you're not)

For COSC, you'll need a bunch more UL courses (30cr total, 3 of which is the Capstone, and I'm unclear how many have to be in the major/concentration).

For UMPI, I have no idea, but one of the UMPI people may be able to help you there.

RE: Business Degree Path Guidance - rachel83az - 01-19-2021

Since you want a business degree, I would go ahead and get a degree from UMPI if that'll work for you. That would certainly be the least expensive option and quite possibly the fastest. As a bonus, you wouldn't have to deal with TESU jerking you around and changing requirements on you. From what ss20s and ashkir have said on this forum, UMPI seems like an amazing school to attend. Since UMPI has no application fee, it will only cost you UW transcript fees to see what sort of evaluation that they give you.

(BTW, in case you weren't aware, you have the Google IT certificate down for 12 UL ACE credits but TESU brings it in as CMP-202 for only 3 LL credits. I have no idea what UMPI would give you but they don't have a tech degree online.)

RE: Business Degree Path Guidance - BetaBen - 01-21-2021

(01-19-2021, 11:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would not worry too much about the changes to the schools - yes, the RA credit thing was an issue, but they usually don't make HUGE changes in policy like that often.  And no, I don't think they'll change it to have to do 30cr at the school or anything like that anytime soon, if ever.

You would be smart though to go ahead and apply to TESU and UMPI to see what you need to finish; you're always better off getting a catalog, and getting the courses you've taken locked in.  That kind of protects you from changes - it's not a guarantee, but I do know that TESU generally grandfather's you into new policies.  So once you get courses onto the eval, and locked into place, you're just much better off.

Issues with Excel, so I can tell you what you still need at TESU for your BSBA/CIS degree:
English Comp I
Oral Comm/Speech
Managerial Accounting
International Business
Intro to Programming
MIS (UL)
Database Mgmt (UL)
Digital Marketing (UL)
(the last 4 assume you're taking these at Study.com, there are other options if you're not)

For COSC, you'll need a bunch more UL courses (30cr total, 3 of which is the Capstone, and I'm unclear how many have to be in the major/concentration).

For UMPI, I have no idea, but one of the UMPI people may be able to help you there.

Thank you for the answer! I plan to get a few evaluations form colleges soon. I did take a placement test with UW that put me in ENG102 instead of ENG101, but I don't know if TESU would consider that enough to cover English Comp I.  

Would you say that the CIS BSBA is the easiest to get given my credits? Can you still get an Accounting BSBA using SDC/Sophia etc.?

RE: Business Degree Path Guidance - dfrecore - 01-22-2021

(01-21-2021, 05:56 PM)BetaBen Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 11:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would not worry too much about the changes to the schools - yes, the RA credit thing was an issue, but they usually don't make HUGE changes in policy like that often.  And no, I don't think they'll change it to have to do 30cr at the school or anything like that anytime soon, if ever.

You would be smart though to go ahead and apply to TESU and UMPI to see what you need to finish; you're always better off getting a catalog, and getting the courses you've taken locked in.  That kind of protects you from changes - it's not a guarantee, but I do know that TESU generally grandfather's you into new policies.  So once you get courses onto the eval, and locked into place, you're just much better off.

English Comp I
Oral Comm/Speech
Managerial Accounting
International Business
Intro to Programming
MIS (UL)
Database Mgmt (UL)
Digital Marketing (UL)

Thank you for the answer! I plan to get a few evaluations form colleges soon. I did take a placement test with UW that put me in ENG102 instead of ENG101, but I don't know if TESU would consider that enough to cover English Comp I.  

Would you say that the CIS BSBA is the easiest to get given my credits? Can you still get an Accounting BSBA using SDC/Sophia etc.?

1) no, a placement test won't work for TESU (and probably for any other schools either, unless it's an institutional challenge exam where you actually received credit for English Comp I)

2) The BSBA CIS isn't any different than any other concentration - the only course that will come in is LL Project Management, which will work in many of the AoS's, but you're limited to 2 LL courses (6cr) so it doesn't really matter.  But I'd suggest sticking with that one if you can, I think it's better than General Management.

RE: Business Degree Path Guidance - BetaBen - 01-25-2021

(01-22-2021, 10:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 05:56 PM)BetaBen Wrote:

English Comp I
Oral Comm/Speech
Managerial Accounting
International Business
Intro to Programming
MIS (UL)
Database Mgmt (UL)
Digital Marketing (UL)

1) no, a placement test won't work for TESU (and probably for any other schools either, unless it's an institutional challenge exam where you actually received credit for English Comp I)

2) The BSBA CIS isn't any different than any other concentration - the only course that will come in is LL Project Management, which will work in many of the AoS's, but you're limited to 2 LL courses (6cr) so it doesn't really matter.  But I'd suggest sticking with that one if you can, I think it's better than General Management.
Thanks again! Just curious, why would you say CIS is better than General Management? I'm not really set on any area of study/career, so I was wondering if General Management might be a good option.

RE: Business Degree Path Guidance - rachel83az - 01-26-2021

In general, it's going to be better to have a concentration than to not have one. CIS happens to be one of the easiest ones to get a concentration in (IMO).

RE: Business Degree Path Guidance - dfrecore - 01-26-2021

I hate the GM concentration at TESU - it's crappy. Random.

Instead, if there's one or two that you like, it's much better to get one - 6 related courses, instead of 6 random ones in at least 3 areas.

The ones available through alternative means:
Accounting
CIS
Entrepreneurship
Finance
HR/OM
Marketing

RE: Business Degree Path Guidance - bjcheung77 - 01-26-2021

At the end of the day, you end up with a BSBA (Business Administration major) having an AOS doesn't really matter, it's just indicating you have a concentration in a sub category, you still end up with the BSBA with a focus in CIS, Entrepreneurship, or whatever you decide on. Your pro business core requirements will give you an overview of focus subjects that may interest you, the AOS is to further cement that knowledge or improve on it. The degree is different than say a BSIT, BA/BS in one of the AOS offered such as a BS in Accounting, Entrepreneurship, etc...

RE: Business Degree Path Guidance - BetaBen - 02-09-2021

Thank you again to everyone that answered! 

I have now completed English I on Sophia. Next up is my first SDC course: Communications 120. I am hoping to fulfill all the remaining TESU requirements on SDC. What are some recommendations for the Business/Managerial Communications TESU requirement? Does Business 113: Business Communication fulfill the requirement? I only see Business 324: Managerial Communication listed on the Wiki.