Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Excelsior vs. Charter Oaks - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Excelsior vs. Charter Oaks (/Thread-Excelsior-vs-Charter-Oaks)

Excelsior vs. Charter Oaks - Lydia - 04-07-2008

Ok, now I'm down to just these two. I'm enrolled at both schools and need to decide which path to take. So here's the story in a nutshell:

Excelsior says for BS in Liberal Studies, I need:
* 12 Lower-Level Credits Applied Professional Credit OR Additional Arts & Science (Must include 1 Quatitative Course)
* 12 Upper-level Credits (General Education: Arts & Science Requirement)
* Depth in History: Requires me to take an additional 6 credits in exams.
* Information Literacy

Basically, I would need the following 8 exams to graduate:

- CLEP: A&I Literature (6L)
- CLEP: College Math or Algebra (3L) (If I choose Col Math I'll have an extra useless 3 credits)
- CLEP: US History II (3L)
- DSST: Civil War & Reconstruction (3U)
- DSST: Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (3U)
- ECE: Ethics: Theory & Practice (3U)
- ECE: Information Literacy (1)
- 1 More Upper Level Exam (3U)

COSG says for BS in Independent Studies/Liberal Studies, I need:
* 3cr Non-US History
* 3cr Ethics
* 3cr English Comp with Essay
* 3cr. And Libral Arts
* Submit an Educational Autobiography & Resume

Basically, I would need the following 4 exams to graduate:

- DSST: Ethics in America (3L)
- CLEP: English Comp w/Essay
- DSST: Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (3U) or Vietanam War (3L)
- 1 More Liberal Arts Exam (Maybe Civil War or A&I Literature)

I know this seems like an obvious choice, but I wanted a few third party opinions and/or point-of-views...

Excelsior vs. Charter Oaks - Old Rusty Pipe - 04-07-2008

Just my opinion.

Go with Charter Oak. Its going to be the cheaper route. I see virtually no difference between a B.S. in Liberal Studies and a B.S. in General Studies with a concentration in Independent Studies/Liberal Studies.

If you were going for a major, I might argue in favor of Excelsior. But with just these, the choice seems Charter Oak. Its cheaper.

Excelsior vs. Charter Oaks - BrandeX - 04-08-2008

if cost is a factor you can go with EC for the LL applied using FEMA, and get your math and info lit from PFC. clep/dsst the rest as listed.

Excelsior vs. Charter Oaks - Lydia - 04-08-2008

BrandeX Wrote:if cost is a factor you can go with EC for the LL applied using FEMA, and get your math and info lit from PFC. clep/dsst the rest as listed.

Thanks for the advise. The only thing is that the math (quantatative requirement) is part of my LL requirements. Even if I completed my LL at FEMA, I would still need 3 cr in. college math, college algebra, or statistics. Also, I thing EC requires that everty student take EC's specific info lit course (I think...).

On another note, I'm not too familiar with the FEMA process or PFC. How easy or complicated are they to get started?

Excelsior vs. Charter Oaks - BrandeX - 04-08-2008

its pretty easy to take courese at PFC. as for the LL, I meant fema + the math class everyone has been taking there, technical math I think it is, to cover your quant + AP LL. PFC's info lit is also accepted at EC.

Excelsior vs. Charter Oaks - Lydia - 04-08-2008

BrandeX Wrote:its pretty easy to take courese at PFC. as for the LL, I meant fema + the math class everyone has been taking there, technical math I think it is, to cover your quant + AP LL. PFC's info lit is also accepted at EC.

Oh ok, now I understand. That's not a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestions.

Excelsior vs. Charter Oaks - Lydia - 04-09-2008

Ok, I finally decided on Charter Oak. Smile It just seems to make more practical sense than Excelsior. Basically, here's what I'll need to graduate by summer:
COSC B.S. Independent/Liberal Studies
(Concentration in Business & Healthcare Management)

5 Exams Remaining:

- CLEP: A&I Literature (6L)
- DSST: Ethics in America (3L)
- DSST: Technical Writing or CLEP English Comp w/Essay (3L)
- DSST: Civil War & Reconstruction (3U)
- DSST: Intro to World Religions (3L)

Plus Complete a written Academic Autobiography (about 1000 words), and pay $195 graduation fee.

Excelsior vs. Charter Oaks - crshore - 04-12-2008

Looks like a good plan! If you think you're going to have your degree requirements finished for July graduation, you'd want to submit your academic autobiography as soon as possible. I've heard it can take up to eight weeks to approve. If I recall correctly, it took about four weeks for mine to come back.