Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Saylor vs. Sophia - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Saylor vs. Sophia (/Thread-Saylor-vs-Sophia)

Pages: 1 2

Saylor vs. Sophia - TINASAM - 03-02-2021

Someone that has taken classes on both platforms can you compare and contrast them for me? I've only used Sophia right now but I'm eyeing a few classes from Saylor and just would like to know how similar they are to sophia and how different they are before I jump in and regret it, lol.

Thanks Smile

RE: Saylor vs. Sophia - rachel83az - 03-02-2021

They are very, VERY different things. Some Saylor courses have a reputation for being incomplete, incorrect, or otherwise difficult to study for. At only $5 a pop right now, it would probably be worth it to attempt one or two classes. But I wouldn't do anything that can be covered by Sophia. Sophia will be quicker and easier.

RE: Saylor vs. Sophia - TINASAM - 03-02-2021

Specifically I'm looking at their BUS300 Operations Management and BUS301 Human Resource Management classes. I will definitely be taking all of the Sophia classes, only interested in Saylor for classes that Sophia doesn't have. I like Sophia's format and style.

What is that $5 a pop thing? What am I missing??

RE: Saylor vs. Sophia - ROYISAGIRL - 03-02-2021

(03-02-2021, 06:39 PM)TINASAM Wrote: Specifically I'm looking at their BUS300 Operations Management and BUS301 Human Resource Management classes. I will definitely be taking all of the Sophia classes, only interested in Saylor for classes that Sophia doesn't have. I like Sophia's format and style.

What is that $5 a pop thing? What am I missing??
They are beta testing a new proctor that costs 5 dollars. The courses themselves are free.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app

fan-fcking-tastic! Thank you for letting me know.

RE: Saylor vs. Sophia - rachel83az - 03-02-2021

Information available here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Saylor-Piloting-New-Proctor-5-test-instead-of-25

RE: Saylor vs. Sophia - StoicJ - 03-02-2021

Saylor is nothing like Sophia.

Good thing is you can jump right into the Saylor classes with no financial commitment. I've completed something like 5 or 6 courses. I got the non-credit certificates. I attempted to get credit for Principles of Management, but scored a 67% on the proctored final. That sort of bummed me out, because I did actually study a bit. I've taken a bunch of Sophia's and I think my average final grade is about 90%.

The pool of exam questions that Saylor chooses from is, I think, very deep. Seems like for the Management course I took 3 not-for-credit final exams and there wasn't a whole lot of overlap between them. I combined the 3 into 1 mega master exam and studied those questions. I still ended up with a 67 on the proctored.

Since, apparently, proctored exams are now $5 a pop, I might go back and take Direct Credit Exams for a few courses when the time is right.

yes I just realized that some of the classes I wanted are not for credit just certificate so I suppose those are essentially "worthless" to what I wanted them for. But there are still a handful that I'd like to get (2-3 UL Business courses).

RE: Saylor vs. Sophia - StoicJ - 03-02-2021

Don't know if you are aware of it or not, but you can see on the following link which Saylors are/were ACE-recommended: 

https://www.acenet.edu/National-Guide/Pages/Organization.aspx?oid=68099b28-9016-e811-810f-5065f38bf0e1

I think all but 1 of the Saylor courses I got certs for also have credit available. I found the Critical Thinking to be fairly easy, as well as Geography. $50 for 6 elective credits would be a nice deal, but $10 is outstanding.

There are probably a couple of other fairly easy ones in there that would be good for cheap elective credit. As for your trying OM & HRM, I say sign up, skim through the material really quick (like 20 minutes), then take a not-for-credit exam. I can't recall if the system requires you to pass quizzes along the way before you can take a final, but I think you ought to poke around and see.

RE: Saylor vs. Sophia - dfrecore - 03-02-2021

(03-02-2021, 06:39 PM)TINASAM Wrote: Specifically I'm looking at their BUS300 Operations Management and BUS301 Human Resource Management classes. I will definitely be taking all of the Sophia classes, only interested in Saylor for classes that Sophia doesn't have. I like Sophia's format and style.

Ops Management is ACE-recommended, and UL to boot, so probably worth trying.

HRM is not ACE-recommended at all, so I would skip that- you can find it too many other places for fairly cheap.

If you're taking Project Management and/or Prin of Finance through Sophia, it might be worth taking the Saylor exams for $5, since they're UL (Sophia's are LL).