Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Looking for Feedback on 3 UL Coopersmith Classes - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Degree Planning Advice (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Degree-Planning-Advice)
+--- Thread: Looking for Feedback on 3 UL Coopersmith Classes (/Thread-Looking-for-Feedback-on-3-UL-Coopersmith-Classes)

Pages: 1 2

Looking for Feedback on 3 UL Coopersmith Classes - TorsMama - 03-06-2021

Hello! I need to take three more UL classes before May so I can take my remaining 3 classes at Excelsior for my BSLA degree! I have received approval for History and Systems of Psychology, Family Therapy, and Physiological Psychology. If you have taken these classes, please give feedback! If you have take. Other UL arts/sciences through Coopersmith that you find easier PLEASE let me know! I have already taken: Stress Management, Abnormal Psych, Creative Arts in the Classroom, and Drugs Society and Human Behavior and passed them all with As except one that was a B+. I will be taking History and Systems exam this Friday I hope, but I would love feedback on the exam first. Family Therapy is making me nervous because it has very few study materials.

RE: Looking for Feedback on 3 UL Coopersmith Classes - ctcarl - 03-07-2021

(03-06-2021, 08:02 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Hello! I need to take three more UL classes before May so I can take my remaining 3 classes at Excelsior for my BSLA degree! I have received approval for History and Systems of Psychology, Family Therapy, and Physiological Psychology. If you have taken these classes, please give feedback! If you have take. Other UL arts/sciences through Coopersmith that you find easier PLEASE let me know! I have already taken: Stress Management, Abnormal Psych, Creative Arts in the Classroom, and Drugs Society and Human Behavior and passed them all with As except one that was a B+. I will be taking History and Systems exam this Friday I hope, but I would love feedback on the exam first. Family Therapy is making me nervous because it has very few study materials.

For whatever it's worth, I specifically avoided History and Systems as well as Physiological Psych because of what I'd read about them here, here, and here.  YMMV...for all I know you may read those threads and decide they're perfect for you.

I enjoyed Family Therapy, and I was especially pleased that it had only three essay (short answer) questions.

Have you looked at Therapeutic Interviewing?  100 multiple choice and zero essay questions.  I'd fight tigers to avoid collegiate writing, so that was a win for me.

RE: Looking for Feedback on 3 UL Coopersmith Classes - TorsMama - 03-07-2021

(03-07-2021, 10:36 AM)ctcarl Wrote:
(03-06-2021, 08:02 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Hello! I need to take three more UL classes before May so I can take my remaining 3 classes at Excelsior for my BSLA degree! I have received approval for History and Systems of Psychology, Family Therapy, and Physiological Psychology. If you have taken these classes, please give feedback! If you have take. Other UL arts/sciences through Coopersmith that you find easier PLEASE let me know! I have already taken: Stress Management, Abnormal Psych, Creative Arts in the Classroom, and Drugs Society and Human Behavior and passed them all with As except one that was a B+. I will be taking History and Systems exam this Friday I hope, but I would love feedback on the exam first. Family Therapy is making me nervous because it has very few study materials.

For whatever it's worth, I specifically avoided History and Systems as well as Physiological Psych because of what I'd read about them here, here, and here.  YMMV...for all I know you may read those threads and decide they're perfect for you.

I enjoyed Family Therapy, and I was especially pleased that it had only three essay (short answer) questions.

Have you looked at Therapeutic Interviewing?  100 multiple choice and zero essay questions.  I'd fight tigers to avoid collegiate writing, so that was a win for me.

Did you read the book for Family Therapy? AllI see for materials is a confusing end of course powerpoint that makes NO sense and a 300 page powerpoint. No videos or anything. 

Does Therapeutic Interviewing fall under UL Arts/Sciences? Does it have a video to go with it?

I have already studied for History and Systems and hope to pass the test this Friday. I know all the info on the Quizzes, though I am not sure I can pull off most of the essay questions.

(03-07-2021, 11:08 AM)TorsMama Wrote: Did you read the book for Family Therapy?

No.

(03-07-2021, 11:08 AM)TorsMama Wrote: Does Therapeutic Interviewing fall under UL Arts/Sciences? Does it have a video to go with it?

Yes, it counted as a Psych UL for my EC BSLA.

No, it didn't have a video that I can recall.

RE: Looking for Feedback on 3 UL Coopersmith Classes - TorsMama - 03-07-2021

(03-07-2021, 01:12 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 11:08 AM)TorsMama Wrote: Did you read the book for Family Therapy?

No.

(03-07-2021, 11:08 AM)TorsMama Wrote: Does Therapeutic Interviewing fall under UL Arts/Sciences? Does it have a video to go with it?

Yes, it counted as a Psych UL for my EC BSLA.

No, it didn't have a video that I can recall.
Thanks. May I ask how long you studied for Family Therapy? Were the essay questions tough? Also do you know what Excelsior considers a passing score from coopersmith?

(03-07-2021, 02:36 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Thanks. May I ask how long you studied for Family Therapy? Were the essay questions tough? Also do you know what Excelsior considers a passing score from coopersmith?

I don't recall my prep for that course specifically.  For most of my Coopersmith courses, I would hit the main PPT deck (the crash course, the study guide, or whatever you'd like to call it) very hard.  If there was a video read-through of the PPT (although that's rare with Coopersmith), I would listen to it in the background while doing other tasks.  Any supplemental study materials, like a secondary PPT deck, free online textbook or other resource, I would do one complete read-through, and re-read any sections I felt I needed to.  But I'd do my best to memorize the main PPT deck.  Call it a week to ten days, an hour or two per weekday, longer on the weekend.

I didn't find the Family Therapy short answer questions particularly onerous.  They're really not essays in the traditional sense, I think they ask for three to four sentences each.  They weren't those horrifying kind of essay questions where they tell you to provide nine types of a particular class of disorder, with definitions for each.  To me, they seem to be looking for a few key words to show that you were able to grasp the concepts.  My answers were short and sweet.  I think I typically wrote two to three sentences, and I don't think I got dinged for any of them.  No gotchas or unpleasant surprises.  I really wouldn't call them anything to be intimidated by, and after all, there are only three of them.

RE: Looking for Feedback on 3 UL Coopersmith Classes - TorsMama - 03-08-2021

(03-07-2021, 06:43 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 02:36 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Thanks. May I ask how long you studied for Family Therapy? Were the essay questions tough? Also do you know what Excelsior considers a passing score from coopersmith?

I don't recall my prep for that course specifically.  For most of my Coopersmith courses, I would hit the main PPT deck (the crash course, the study guide, or whatever you'd like to call it) very hard.  If there was a video read-through of the PPT (although that's rare with Coopersmith), I would listen to it in the background while doing other tasks.  Any supplemental study materials, like a secondary PPT deck, free online textbook or other resource, I would do one complete read-through, and re-read any sections I felt I needed to.  But I'd do my best to memorize the main PPT deck.  Call it a week to ten days, an hour or two per weekday, longer on the weekend.

I didn't find the Family Therapy short answer questions particularly onerous.  They're really not essays in the traditional sense, I think they ask for three to four sentences each.  They weren't those horrifying kind of essay questions where they tell you to provide nine types of a particular class of disorder, with definitions for each.  To me, they seem to be looking for a few key words to show that you were able to grasp the concepts.  My answers were short and sweet.  I think I typically wrote two to three sentences, and I don't think I got dinged for any of them.  No gotchas or unpleasant surprises.  I really wouldn't call them anything to be intimidated by, and after all, there are only three of them.
Thank you for the feedback! I might see if I can get physiological psychology switched for therapeutic interviewing. I do not like the essay questions.

RE: Looking for Feedback on 3 UL Coopersmith Classes - TorsMama - 03-15-2021

Update: I took the History and Systems of Psychology class on Friday and earned an A-. I am now starting studying for Family Therapy and hope to take it middle of next week then start Therapeutic Interviewing.

RE: Looking for Feedback on 3 UL Coopersmith Classes - ctcarl - 03-15-2021

(03-15-2021, 03:21 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Update: I took the History and Systems of Psychology class on Friday and earned an A-. I am now starting studying for Family Therapy and hope to take it middle of next week then start Therapeutic Interviewing.

Nice!  Good luck on the next two.

RE: Looking for Feedback on 3 UL Coopersmith Classes - TorsMama - 03-15-2021

(03-15-2021, 04:28 PM)ctcarl Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 03:21 PM)TorsMama Wrote: Update: I took the History and Systems of Psychology class on Friday and earned an A-. I am now starting studying for Family Therapy and hope to take it middle of next week then start Therapeutic Interviewing.

Nice!  Good luck on the next two.
Thanks!! My goal is to finish both classes by mid April so I can have a two week break before my Excelsior classes start.